Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
You sonuvabitch.

I was trying to save money this month. Order'd from Amazon.

The moment you mentioned that was a world according to Tim Powers, whose works I spend too much time reading, I was already reaching for my wallet. Looking at the preview PDF stuff, I'm impressed by how simple and narrative focused the mechanics are. It's also very similar to the d100 system in Dark Heresy, so it doesn't seem like it would even be a huge transition for our regular gaming group!

I'm going to start planning out plot shenanigans now, and I'm eagerly looking forward to running a game of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Looking at the major adept powers, how the heck does a DM keep on top of things?

When a entropmancer/chaos mage can literally say "no, that didn't happen, and your plot-critical NPC was never born", how do you shape a coherent plot? Handing the divine power of retcon to a player seems hella scary.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

This may well be so - I think I have decent enough ideas, but I'm not very fast on my feet when it comes to player madness.

I'll start with a street level campaign to get used to the system, and I guess I'll see how far I can take it! It can't hurt to try, though I'll reserve a spot in the Worst Experiences thread for my poor players.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

DeclaredYuppie posted:

Don't forget- earning a major charge is usually the effort of a number of story arcs or an entire campaign. Your players will usually be running off a number of minor/significant.

Can you share a few examples of the hoops you put players through to get a major charge?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

FMguru posted:

Entropomancers, who run on risk and luck, must risk their lives and the lives of at least 10 innocent bystanders on at least a 90/10 proposition.
What prevents an Entropomancer from putting on a blindfold, hijacking a bus, and driving it into highway incoming traffic? The other adept major charges seem like they would be a huge challenge and great story to obtain, but the chaos dudes seem to have it pretty easy.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

After Amazon emailed me saying that they had lost my package, the Unknown Armies sourcebook just appeared on my doorstep. Yeessssssss.

I'm getting dudes together on Saturday to run over character creation, and I'll run the Bill Toges one-shot the week after. This ought to be awesome!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I ran a group of four through Bill in Three persons tonight - my first time running a campaign in almost a year, but I think it went pretty well!

Trip report and spoilers below!

Our cast:
Judas: An undercover cop on an urgent drug run, obsessed with betrayal.
The Snake: A divorce lawyer following the devil avatar, who is all about tempting the weak into evil, but also about protecting those tested in fire.
The Widow: A barren mother, divorced and cursed to die alone.
The Lost Child: A teenager whose brother was violently un-existed, leaving him with an impossible past and fractured world view, living in a group home.

They did pretty much everything wrong.

They instantly decided that their task was to preserve and maintain the paradox exactly as they first witnessed it, to the point of stabbing Bill in the eye because that's how he came out of the wreckage. They did shrooms with the cult of the Prophet Bill, and accidentally killed a heroic stockboy in the Grocery robbery. The Snake, thinking he had to protect the Sheriff, announced that he was a child molester and led the cops on a chase to keep them from preventing Bill's deadly rendezvous.

The Snake really stood out as playing his character to the hilt, tempting the first Bill in the robbery into killing all his partners and taking the money for himself. He even talked him into killing a poor florist who recognized Bill.

One thing that bothered me about the scenario was how limited the available characters were - most of the time, it's just the pcs and Bill and maybe one other NPC interacting in a static setting. I added a lot of scenery characters, so a mostly social group could still have a big effect on the setting. I also changed the trailer park setting to be an RV graveyard, with the UFO constructed out of the stripped sides of the caravans, with the cult huddled inside, using a diesel generator as an altar for the dead sheriff. The house where the child molester kept poor Sascha was moved to the Garden from Weep.

Since they kept exactly preserving the reality-breaking paradox, I felt that they deserved a more epic failure scenario. The exploding cars pushed them once last time into WreckSpace, a world of nothing but smashed cars, infinitely and eternally in all directions. Every possible car wreck that ever happened, past and future, wrapped into a frozen ball of crushed metal at that first moment of impact. The drivers were all frozen in their last moments as black silhouettes without any features.
But the real threat was the skittering Never Children, all the unborn potentials who these wrecks prevented, who chased the PCs through a nightmare hub of metal ruin. They were coming for the Widow, the closest thing to a Mother they'd ever get.

The PCs fled, until they came across a tight ball of Blue Hyundais, all recognizable as Bill's car. Over the session, I'd indicated that a sin of Bill's had triggered the initial split, and crawling into his car through a smashed window, they saw a much younger Bill taking drunken aim at his father in his shitbox car.

This was the single catalyst, the first catalyst, and their last chance to cut the paradox off before it ever happened. All they had to do was turn the wheel away from his father, and Bill would continue on his flight as only a single man.

They couldn't do it.

They didn't think it would be fair to his never-born daughter. They didn't think they had the right to take away his choices. What's the point of free will, they argued, if God's just going to slap the apple away from Eve at the last moment? They spent a good forty minutes arguing over what was the most moral solution was! In the end, rather than either steering him away from his dad, or steering into incoming traffic to kill him, they chose to cut his fuel lines. That way, his free will was preserved, but he would have to face the consequences of his actions for the first time, his broken car preventing him from escaping his rash revenge.

As they started cutting into the fuel tank, they felt the mass of cars shifting. Hundreds of possible blue Hyundais started disappearing into dust, causing an avalanches of suddenly falling vehicles - they scrambled into a nearby minivan, apparently on a crash course into a Smart Car, and were able to force it out of WreckSpace and onto the New York highways, riding the paradox shockwave of collapsing realities. They were even able to avoid the fatal accident that would otherwise have claimed the driver!

So in conclusion: It was mad, terrifying, but I think everyone enjoyed it. In two weeks we start again, and next time I think I'll give Garden full of Weeds a try. :D

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Mechanics question for you guys - when it comes to Adepts, how many formulas do they start off with?

As best I understand it, they start off at character creation with none, and then have to spend 10xp for each minor formula, and more for significant formulas - is that correct?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Much as I love UA, I agree that the system is designed for roleplay-heavy gritty campaigns, as opposed to glorious tales of earth's mightiest heroes. The combat mechanics are also not as fleshed out as many other systems, mainly because it's not intended to be the focus.

That said, I'd love to play a Black Company style fantasy with the UA mechanics ("You got hit with an error? Roll for sepsis!"); the tone appeals to me.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

One of my players (a Dipsomancer) wants to start making artifacts, because magic artifacts are hella sweet. But when I looked at the mechanics for artifact creation, they seem to allow such cheap artifacts as to render normal magick casting redundant.

For example: to fire a significant blast, a Dipsomancer normally has to burn two significant charges. However, if he wanted to enchant a tear-gas launcher to fire Coors cans that had the same effect, he spends only one extra significant charge, and then he can use it 2d10 times. Why under heaven would he ever need to get drunk in combat again?

The basic mechanic to create an artifact is:
1 use: spell cost + 1 minor charge
2d10 uses: spell cost + 1 significant charge

This seems dangerously vulnerable to powergaming.

Here's another example: Fleshworkers have an ability to permanently pump their own stats. Normally, the cost of building up that many charges would render this a rare affair, but if they cast an artifact, they can game the hell out of things.
User casts on self: stat increase of 2d10.
User uses artifact: stat increase of 3 * 2d10. ( they could only raise their stats by 3 each time because artifact creation count as weak successes, which would cap this ability to that number. )

Am I misunderstanding the rules, or are there house rules that you guys could suggest to help me balance this?

Squidster fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 7, 2011

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Reviewing the rules, any formula spell an Artifact casts succeeds with only a 12, so I guess for significant blasts it would be pretty useless compared to firing a gun.

But take something like the Entropomancer's 'I Win' ability - where no matter the roll, their last roll was a success. Having the ability to do that 1d20 times makes a character an unstoppable juggernaut.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Capntastic posted:

I feel that UA is one of the settings and systems that, should you be confronted with someone abusing the rules, you could be perfectly justified to have something backfire in a horrifying way, or have some NPC who abuses the rules in a worse way.

Hm, like the 'I Win' device being a global effect - so once activated, *everyone* on both sides of a combat can't fail until the artifact sputters out.

Thankfully, I don't have any players abusing the rules, but I want to be prepared for when these issues come up. For now, I'm thinking of creating a faction that would build artifacts on behalf of the players, at some absurd cost. That way, the players have someone to trade and curry favour with, and can't just spam out buckets of artifacts every night.

Doc Hawkins, can you give me an example of horrifying backfire? I know there's issues with some adept/avatar combos that can be drat ridiculous.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

This is actually a common complaint I have of Greg Stolze designs. I mean, it's 2011! Why am I still handing out 1-3xp a session to all players across the board, plus "good roleplaying" bonuses?! We have better ways now!

Can you elaborate on this? Er... when you get back.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

A glaring lack in the ORE games is the absence of experience reward loops that directly and immediately incentivize entertaining yourself and others. Lone Wolf's Spiritual Attributes are what, 12 years old? Shadow of Yesterday's Keys have become my default drop-in subsystem for games that don't have a modern experience system.
Can you elaborate? I'm not familiar with those. I don't believe UA runs on the ORE engine, although not being very familiar with that either, I'm not sure what the differences are.
I read through the Keys/Experience link you posted, and I think it's a cool idea, but it seems difficult to keep track of for a half-dozen NPCs.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Another thing that bothers me is Stolze's weird proscriptions against social combat. I've seen good arguments for it not being included in a given game because "that's not what the game is about," but his "you can't control your friend's characters because that's bad" argument is ancient low-grade grognardistic silliness.

When Player A takes control away from Player B, 99% of the time they're taking Player B's fun with them. That seems a legitimate reason to prescribe that. As Xand_Man, posted, if You Did It is the theme of the game, You Forced Me To Do That goes against the heavy emphasis on free will and consequences.

I've had PCs roll lie and charm skills against each other, but always as an aid to roleplaying and rationalizations - the dice rolling is just an exclamation point for extra flavour, and I leave it up to the two players as to how effective those rolls are.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
EDIT:

Doc Hawkins posted:

What's the difference between the GM saying "Your character agrees to the treaty, having been convinced by the diplomat's passionate arguments" and "Your character agrees to be dead, having been convinced by the diplomat's passionate swordplay"?

I would do my best to have the diplomat NPC give a legitimately convincing argument, and express with narrative how confident and well meaning they are. There's no need for an NPC to roll at all for that. I wouldn't want to tell a PC what they believe, unless it's a magickal mind-control effect.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 10, 2011

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

He stumbles through the crowds like a tattered emerald scarecrow, pushing through the crowd, each breath harsh and sharp. "Hyah", he wheezes, "Hnah!" He clutches bandaged hands to his ears to shut out the high piping of the ringtones following him, each one crying "Hey! Listen!" But he can't stop now, because she's waiting for him. Somewhere, down one of these alleys, behind one of these castle windows, she's waiting for him to come and save her.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Tiny story.

My party of TNI headcrackers was crashing a Naked Goddess Temple in downtown Syracuse, and got pinned down by cultist fire. The party gunner decides to cut a new entrance in the drywall with some machine gun rounds. He shoots the outline of a door into the wall, hearing cries of pain from the enemy henchmen on the other side, who retreat to cover.

The party point man, a masterless man avatar wearing kevlar armour, pumped up to an obscene 160 hp, smashes through the wall with a gun in each hand, blazing away wildly, in a thunderous rush of drywall dust and gunsmoke.

And then the nearest enemy guard rolls a 01 on his attack, and the PC dies instantly.

UA combat is merciless.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

On upcoming Unknown Armies supplements posted:

Regrettably, we ran into some issues in the editorial process. To make a long story short, these projects are now on the back burner indefinitely. :( Sorry.
- http://blog.atlas-games.com/2009/10/call-for-unknown-armies-pitches.php ( posted 1/26/2011 12:45:00 PM )

It looks like Thin Black Line: The Order of St Cecil and the other two upcoming UA books just got canned.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Hey folks, for various reasons I'm working on a quick JS character generator for Unknown Armies.

Can I ask you guys to give it a try, and let me know what you like / hate / would like to see added?

The package is at http://www.mediafire.com/?8yb9yupa3sc6c82 - just unzip it anywhere and load index.html in your browser of choice.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I believe the most famous UA scenario is JailBreak, and it looks drat fantastic, but is also incredibly demanding from a DM. If you're up for a challenge, it can be a
great low-level introduction to the system. Unfortunately, UA doesn't really have many full modules in the style of D&D, etc. - almost all of them, even the books of one-shots, tend to be basic outlines and character lists left to the DM to flesh out.

I also recommend rifling through Hush Hush ( the Sleeper book). It's got a stack of fast one-shot incidents that are great for single-session games. I've used them for my TNI campaign, as they're pretty flexible.

It has fun incidents like 'drunken fleshworker melts a guy at a bar', a couple unnatural bug hunts, some good old fashioned Haunted McGuffin hunting, sexy cannibalism, and so on.

Drunken fleshworker chap could serve as a jumpstart scare to a campaign, leading into him trying to hunt down the player witnesses. The Sleepers are furious, the Vatican has a long-standing grudge, and Abel's boys are sniffing around, looking for a way to screw everyone.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Do you have a specific location in mind for your game? Are your fine folks going to be working for one of the big dogs, or struggling along by themselves?

My advice for running a first time game of UA is making sure that players have both a clear goal and reason to work together. One of the difficulties with the system is that urban characters don't always know where to go to find weirdness, or necessarily want to seek it out. Unlike D&D adventurers, who know that they should be killin' orcs in a 10x10 room, Joe Frank at the Taco Hut is less likely to want to risk life and limb in the occult underground.

One of the advantages of having them work for an existing cabal is your ability to hand out clear-cut missions to players, helping them to know exactly what they should be doing and giving them a reason to do it.

Also, UA can generate terrible party conflict, which can be good and bad, depending on your playstyle. I house-ruled that all PCS in my campaigns had to have known each other at least a year, and at least casually trust each other.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Crudeboy posted:

I don't believe I've heard of this one.

He's referring to "Fly me to Heaven," a one-shot with pre-gen characters who are flying to Manhattan, when a crazed occult terrorist hijacks the plane and decides to crash it into the downtown. All so he can ascend to the archetype of the Terrorist.

Yep.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

Bill Toge difficulties.

I ran this scenario twice with different groups, once quite successfully and once disastrously. The first time through, despite one player reading the scenario ahead of time and deliberately screwing everything, still turned out narratively satisfying and had some fun twists and turns.

The second time, the players just bum-rushed the supermarket scene, got gutshot and terribly wounded, to the points where I had to fudge their hp to not kill 'em. Then in the apartment, they were so terrified of Bill that they just fled the apartment and ran. Then they showed up in the desert and just ran. They played their characters well, but those characters did not want to do interesting things.

Now, team two just try to kill every unnatural thing or adept they see, because Oh poo poo They Could Kill Me In One Round. The lethality of the system made them into paranoid sociopaths. Despite my best efforts, they see combat as being rear end in a top hat-dm time, even though they have drat good combat skills and kill the poo poo out of most mooks.

Team one basically disintegrated due to shenanigans, but ran fairly well for some months before.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Gerund posted:

this was written well before the time that you are thinking of as well, iirc :911:

Published in August, 2001. Literally a single month before.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

e: Apparently, Arc Dream is looking for playtesters for an RPG that adds demon-fueled superpowers to the Dirty World rules. A lot of radical irons in the fire for Mr. Stolze!

AWESOME. Sycophantic email deployed!

I was never able to convince my group to join me in a Dirty World film-noir, because they felt it was a little boring, without bolters or crackmages or capes. "You mean we're just playing... people?"

Adding a veneer of horns and capes should allow me to reel them in.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I have received no breath of a reply to my sycophantism, but with their website constantly down I'm a little worried my email was consumed by the great black hole at the core of the internet.

TheTatteredKing, any news on your campaign? What did you decide to run in the end?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I was too busy reading the playtest PDF to say I'd gotten the invite email. Things look good so far!

EDIT: ahahahaha, "Are you there, Karish-Nephet the Defiler? It's me, Margie." With the right group, this looks like a lot of fun.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 21, 2011

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Melee attacks are definitely way weaker than any firearms in UA, but there are a few caveats.

- Rolling a matched success on a weapon with a +6 bonus or better does firearms damage.
- If your obsession skill is tied to your melee attack, you can get bonus cherries on matched successes ( you can't get cherry on firearms attacks ).
- Some non-humans in the book, like automatons, do straight up firearms damage with their bare hands. Something like a chainsaw seems like it would do the same.
- Sometimes, you don't want to kill a guy. Guns are maybe too good at killin' a guy.
- Lastly, you can make up to three melee attacks in a round by splitting your total melee skill.

Let's say I have Prison Shankin' at 70%. I full-focus on a guy for an extra 30, bringing my Shank skill to 100%. I can now split that into two attacks at 50% each. If I roll a 40 and a 35, I've dealt 14 ( + 6 for my shank ) and 8 (+6 again ). A frenzied flurry of blows can really wreck a guy up.
You could split firearms attacks in the same way, but you almost never want to, because you'll only be reducing the amount of damage (unless you're using a peashooter with a low max damage).

The other thing to keep in mind with UA, and this is critical, is that it is not balanced at all. Some adept classes are infinitely better than others. It's up to the DM to balance the game on the fly with narrative factors.

Be hella careful letting a player decide to be both an adept and an avatar, or an automaton, because they will immediately catapult to mechanical stardom.
I ran a global campaign with an automaton, and he soloed every combat, leaving the other players bored. (Automatons take firearms damage as melee, get two full attack actions a round and get a free dodge. They make great recurring NPC enemies because they are so drat hard to kill. )

I love UA - it is my absolute favorite system - but it can be difficult to keep things equal.

EDIT: Dipsomancers. They can magically firearms your rear end with just two stiff drinks. A single boozehound on a bender can be a TPK. The combination of Masterless Man and Fleshworker is bloody unkillable. An executioner can deal firearms damage with any melee attack.

But any of those guys, no matter how badass or dangerous, splat real nice when you hit them with your volvo. I guess the best thing to keep in mind is that anybody can kill anybody, at any time. That sense of danger is part of what I really liked about UA, so in that way it still works.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 13, 2011

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Chance II posted:

They ignored my warnings not to spread themselves over a lot of skills and the skills they did pick were so esoteric in some cases that they were ill equipped for a lot of the things they were trying to do.

That is weird, because percentile skills are literally the easiest system in the world to figure out. It's not 'add four dice and reach a arbitrary abstract DC', it's straight-up x% chance of success.

If your life depends on a skill with a 10% chance of success, your dude is going to die nine times out of ten.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Here's my suggestion for both Sombrebro and Chance II - make the PCs employees of The New Inquisition.

Tell them it's like the FBI, except they have no oversight except each other and neck-breaking Ahnold. You can give them normal RPG-style missions of 'go find villain X! Kill him!' and 'go find mcGuffin Y! Kill anyone who gets in your way!'

As TNI tends to attract people who already have the stock D&D murderhobo mindset, it works as a good start to ease PCs into a more realized world. Plus, they have a reason to be facing FaceRipper McMagicstein instead of just curiosity or obsession.

Edit: One fun aspect we've often enjoyed is having a party of outgunned mundanes thrown up against Magickal Bullshit. It gives a good sense of the modern world triumphing over arcane bullshit. Snipe those wizzards before they see you, or hit them with your honda! (gun)Fighter supremacy!

Squidster fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 13, 2011

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Xand_Man posted:

And to cross the threads a little bit, check out NEMESIS. It's ORE with the UA madness tracks bolted on and it's free on the web. If UA straight doesn't float your players boat, NEMESIS might.

Nemesis may be free on the web, but it is a little hard to track down - the homepage has been dead for a long time.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

So my copy of Reign: Enchiridion arrived in the mail last week - fascinating reading, interesting rules.

No setting or fluff.

So I figured okay, maybe the first supplement would have the totally sweet details of this super-creative Heluso and Milonda setting.

Nope.

Do I have to buy an out-of-print edition of the core Reign book to get that cool setting? On his site, Greg mentions that the core book is on his Lulu store, but this is not so. There are two copies going for a $100 or so on eBay, but that is just out of my price range.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

You can grab the PDF

From where?

\/\/\/\/\/\/
Fantastic, I'll snag it tonight. I wish I'd realized that Enchiridion had the setting stripped out before I put down thirty bucks for it. =/

Squidster fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 26, 2011

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Another paycheck sacrificed to the altar of Stolze! I decided what the hey, if they have physical copies of the book for 40$ US, I might as well grab that and the PDF.
...The OP should really get a commission for this thread.

Inspired by Liesmith's tales of paladin woes, I'm thinking of adapting the Curse of Chalion setting for use with REIGN. Chalion, a fantasy redress of 13th century Spain, has one of the simplest and most creative pantheon's I've found in fiction: Five gods and five gods only, namely Father, Mother, Daughter, Son and Bastard. I'm particularly fond of the Bastard - half trickster, half saviour. Where all the other gods judge and choose their followers, he unconditionally loves - lepers, sinners, victims and monsters alike can call on him without judgement. He can also sell true justice, at the price of your life.

The Gods tightly adhere to the seasons - Daughter Spring, Summer Son, Mother Autumn and Father Winter, so I'm planning on redressing the magic to be primarily elemental in nature. Since magic is dangerous and powerful, only paladins and noblemen would be allowed to be trained in the four orthodox schools of magic, whereas any town warlock can fumble his way into the Bastard's service.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I picked up the softcover print and PDF version from http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16591 - they claim to still have 311 copies left.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

To my memory, Chalion didn't have any mages, only saints. Saints who were totally awesome, but would be exhausting for a PC to portray.

I think that the idea of a saint doesn't work well in RPGs - if one of the core themes of being a Chalion saint is obedience in the face of uncertainty, then the GM (who must speak for the god) might as well be puppeting the PC. And if the puppetmaster's commands lead into misfortune for the PC, then they're going to be righteously pissed that they followed the GM's railroad and still got screwed.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

clockworkjoe posted:

I played Fiasco with Greg Stolze and some other people last night. I recorded it.

Greg's character was beaten up by a knight's templar and fell in love with a cat burglar which he roleplayed like Zapp Brannigan.

WHAT

Edit: Details man, provide details.

Squidster fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 4, 2011

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

On a Stolze-related note, has anyone read his Vampire the Masquerade novels? I enjoyed Godwalker, his Unknown Armies transvestite murder jesus book, but I do sort of hate the World of Darkness.
Franchise tie-in fiction is generally apocalyptically bad, but I've basically liked everything else he's written so far. Does anyone know if they're worth the money?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Thanks Pseduo, I'll pick them up!

Incidentally, Stolze has just published a new short novel called Switchflipped. It's very much in the spirit of UA, with a brace of avatars fighting over mystical territory in an unnamed city. Despite a rocky start, it quickly careens into the gibbering insanity that marks most of his work. I'd describe it, but Stolze probably sums it up best:

Stolze blurb posted:

Before you buy it, I suppose you might want to know what it’s about and, while I don’t want to spoil any surprises, I can say it concerns a lost fiancee, the secret rulers of American automobiles, a woman who is also a building, kung fu, suburban necromancy, romantic infidelity and its fallout, and the icy secret truth behind Tarot card reading.

SEND MONEY

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Super minor, but I just noticed that Godwalker on Amazon retails for $3.33. Beautiful.

^^^
The art in that video is amazing. Yeah... I'm probably going to have to chip in on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I like the idea of an illiterate Bibliomancer - it seems like the right kind of UA weird. A truly impoverished character crawling from the slums of Detroit ( lowest literacy rate in America! ) might associate book-ownership with eccentric wealth. Feral children, immigrant refugees... I'd say they'd make a better NPC than PC, though.

One interesting protoexample could be Sequoyah, an illiterate Native American who singlehandedly developed a written language for Cherokee. He didn't speak a word of English, didn't consult with any linguists, but replicated the ancient development of language from pictographs to syllabary in little more than a decade.

- Language badass

Xand_Man posted:

Do you actually have a physical copy of Jailbreak? If so, I hate you.
Dear Sir,

You are cordially invited to JealousyTown, population: you.