Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

Ok, now I've got a new system to talk my gaming group into trying on One-Shot Night. Specifically, Reign. I've got an idea for a campaign, too:

The 'PCs' are in fact a set of low-level organizations. Each player designs their Company first, then designs 3 individual characters to act as 'faces' for that organization - at the moment, I'm thinking something like a social face, a mental face, and a physical face, each one reflecting the specific goal and/or nature of their Company. Then, as various situations arise, the campaign is about these three organizations interacting in their rise to influence and power.

Thoughts about the viability of this idea are appreciated, as would be any suggestions on how many points to give the players for their company's Qualities (I'm leaning towards 7, with a ban on starting with any Quality above 4.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

Jenx posted:

Compared to the work Stolze has done with Unknown Armies and REIGN, the stuff in Spherewalker is nice, but hardly matches up to the standards set by himself in his later career. Soo, am I just mistaken, did I just ended up being affected by the hype, or is Spherewalker really just not all that amazing as some people make it out to be?

Well, you yourself said it: it was one of his earlier efforts. At the time, it was pretty amazing - nobody expected it, because nobody really knew who he was. But now, of course, we have Reign, we have Unknown Armies, we have A Dirty World (my personal favorite of the ORE games) - so Spherewalker isn't as spectacular now that we know he can do some amazing things and actually write mechanics to support them.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

So has anyone else noticed that the core systems of UA 3rd are surprisingly adaptable, setting-wise? Like, I can see how with some minor tweaking, you could strip them out of the 'urban fantasy' genre and pop them into a 'weird post-apocalypse' genre or even outright fantasy - it'd need to be a somewhat grounded fantasy, and you'd need to come up with new magickal schools/archetypes (though a fair few of the archetypes would work as-is, too, which I suppose is kind of the point of them). I'm talking specifically about the meters/general skills and the identities, which frankly are pretty portable to just about any setting.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

mellonbread posted:

I did that a couple weeks ago. It's easy enough when all you have to do is balance a handful of pregens against each other. Building a whole setting specific spell list with new schools would be a lot more work.

The metaphysics of the Avatar system are hard to transplant, but it's not necessary to do so because Godwalkers and the Invisible Clergy rarely matter in UA anyway. Adhere to a code of conduct, get powers, everything else is superfluous.

Yes, that's how divine magic works in 99% of games that feature it. The gods don't care what you think or believe, just what you do in the moment.