Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Doodmons posted:

With only a little bit of experience, it's very easy to snap the game over your knee like a parapalegic Batman. Character point totals go out the window ... WT has the problem that cool, thematic powers that do interesting things and have drawbacks are almost inevitably more expensive than the ability to kill everyone on the planet.

Yeah, I alluded to this in the chat thread, but my only attempt at running WT died on the vine during character creation largely for this reason. We were doing a Read or Die-inspired campaign, so everyone would have either a single or small suite of tightly themed powers, and it became immediately obvious that The Color ("I can instantly change the color and opacity of any substance", invisibility and blindness being just the most obvious tricks) was costing a lot more than the super-science gun-bunny (a supersoldier clone of Charles Darwin, codename The Perfect Specimen) whose devolver ray was just basically ten hard dice of a stun effect, which then got flawed down with things like being in a gun that needed to be reloaded.

To be fair, I suspect this is less a problem specific to WT than just inherent in the idea of point-buy effects-based power creation, unless HERO has ways to avoid this I've never heard about.

Oh hey, I actually have another ORE thing to post about! My regular group is going through an OSR phase, and while I am not at all interested in any relative of D20, I have been kind of idly curious about The Dungeon As Mythic Underworld and all that other stuff OSR blogs make sound cool that always seems to boil down to "that was weird, well, how many of us are still alive and how much is the treasure worth?" once it gets refracted through the D&D prism, and I've been wanting to try out Reign forever.

I'm toying with a Reign setup where dungeon entrances occasionally burst forth from the earth like evil tumors, and the richest men hire the foolhardiest men to go in and bring back whatever strangeness they can sell, exploit, or reverse engineer. Kind of Stalker meets Ken Hite's concept of D&D as mining company. So in this setting the obvious Companies would be the merchant and/or adventurer guilds staking out dungeon claims. I was wondering if it'd make sense to handle The Megadungeon itself as a Company, to map its spread over the land and such.

I can't quite decide if it'd be a better starting hook to have the PCs start as pro delvers (either running their own small startup or being part of one of the larger ones), or if I should have a dungeon open up near or inside some podunk village and the PCs are all locals with the town as their Company (bonus points for being able to replace dead PCs with friends and family). The one-roll character creation would hopefully be a decent method to quickly replace dead delvers, and the one-roll monsters from Nain would help me stock the dungeons. I could use a good random dungeon creator, but I do have the AD&D1 DMG around so there must be something in there.

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

What you have to remember about WT is that's not a game where you make tradional-style "superheroes" or people with one moderately strong power. It's basically about seeing what happens when there's no limit on what a person can do.

...not really? Wild Talents the setting and Progenitor go that way, but Grim War and Kerberos Club seem to disagree. eCollapse too.

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 19, 2014

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Strange Matter posted:

Is it worth upgrading to the full 2nd Edition Wild Talents book if the campaign that I'm running is 100% original? Does the 2nd Edition book have anything particularly crucial in it for the experience?

Ken Hite's "Changing the Course of Mighty Rivers" chapter on superhero setting worldbuilding is really fantastic, but it IS only one chapter, and outside of that there's nothing else in there you need if you're not using the Godlike/Wild Talents setting or want some premade NPCs. I ended up getting a cheap copy of WT1 off eBay just to read Hite's material (it didn't change between editions), but Arc Dream's store actually links to a nifty campaign worksheet drawing on it. Mess around with that for a bit, and if the core ideas seem cool and you want another thirty pages or so expanding on them, look into eBay or maybe get the PDF-- it's definitely not worth fifty bucks just for the one chapter.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm sure he could expand on it, but his page on Godlike and Wild Talents answers part of that question.

Nah, that article is (obliquely) referring to the publisher before Arc Dream, Hawthorne Hobgoblin. I don't know exactly what went on there, but the principal behind HH went on to apparently embezzle funds from the Chuubo Kickstarter.

If anything went down between Stolze and Arc Dream, I've never heard about it.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

OotVP has that one immediately identifiable hook: Be mercenaries (or poor kidnapped dupes) sent to kill aliens for scraps of alien biotech. But it also has Company rules for governments, economic coalitions, etc. figuring out how to deal with and profit from aliens, and it's not clear how to connect the dots between the two.

Much like Unknown Armies, OOTVP kind of sketches out a setting seething with gonzo weirdness and opportunity and then just expects you to have at it. I've yet to run or play it myself, but between Tremors and Close Encounters of the Third Kind I have no shortage of ideas from the blue-collar end of things.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
On top of that, I think there is a "the best defense is a good offense" thought happening too, since a successful attack knocks a die off any action the target takes that is of lesser width (which may cancel the action completely if it has less than two dice; as in, you winged him so the aim on his return fire is off). Barring armor or any supernatural kind of defense (i.e., the kind that doesn't cost an action to use) ORE combat is intended to be kind of brutal and short; it did come out of a WWII game after all.

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 18, 2020

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
Thanks for the overview! I’ve been a UA fan from long back but put off checking out UA3 because “I haven’t played any UA in a while and I’m in no rush— it’ll be around whenever I’m back in the mood” and, well, time sure passes…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
ORE Bundle of Holding going on:

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/ORE2022