Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Pretty sure one of the supplements had guidelines on making these up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I'm tentatively thinking about some good, old fashioned Reigning. I've spent too long playing * World games and now everything seems crunchy, heh.

I've got a few questions to the Goon Hivemind:

1) Any favourite solution to the problem of boring no-choice headshots? Shuffling the hit zones so that head in hit on height 1, or perhaps some other number to avoid clashes with poo poo like that martial art whose users cannot be hit in the legs, RAW?

2) Any popular/cool house rules and fixes in general?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It was pointed out in the fluff that most of entropomancer's charges are wasted on getting them out of trouble they get into in order to get more charges. So, what I'm saying, is to make sure the player is scared enough of you so that he'll get plenty of spare minors before attempting something deliberately stupid.

And that he has a backup charsheet, I guess.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It is awesome, buy it.

Just be sure to make a cheat sheet of how one gains xp.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Since I recntly made some preparations for a Space Pirates ORE game I sadly eventually did not ran, my tips are:

1) Check out the free Out of the Violent Planet setting available for download for free. It's sci-fi and Stolze at his cleverest.
2) There's lots of cool mechanical stuff to scavenge from Wild Talents (or Godlike, I have trouble differentiating these games). Everything relating to guns, powers (reskinned as whatever technobabble gizmo you need) and there's some fighter dogfight rules from some supplement I think were free on drivethrurpg that are literally exactly what you need for space combat, just reskin wings and propellers into whatever you need. Also, since it's all about hitboxes loving you up in different ways, it should be nicely transferrable to Star Trek-like big ship engagements.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Frankly, most of them are so interchangeable that if you're looking for a general purpose system it's best to get Reign for the company stuff and numerous free supplements (the sci-fi setting is super cool) and just steal poo poo from other games as needed (e.g. I stole dogfighting rules from some Godlike supplement I think to do spaceship pew pew).

Having said that, A Dirty World nails its genre so hard I can't imagine running a noir game in any other system. It's also in the current bundle of holding, I think.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Anything known about magick schools/bringing the setting out of 90s?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

On one hand, that's pretty loving cool, on the other one I hope it's mindlessly easy to port some of the old evergreens like Entropomancy or Dipsomancy (that weren't really affected by time passing all that much) without breaking poo poo up.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I feel ashamed for how much cash I want to drop at this game I will never play anyway.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The mechanics are pretty much a mash-up of old school UA and A Dirty World.

Which is pretty hot.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Goddamn, I love the new ed more and more each day I think about it. Stuff I wasn't fully convinced about initially seems smarter and better once I got over it just being different.

The new adept schools are good and fun, but feel more like a supplement bundle than a new baseline - apart from the brilliant GNOMON they lack the true :stare: factor, erring on the side of easy come easy go variety. Thankfully the evergreen oldies are portable with little to no effort, so there's little to complain here. And GNOMON is really, really baller.

Similarly, the Whisper War and March 3 2003 changes feel like interesting shake-ups of status quo for UA veterans, but not as cool on their own like the OG versions of the factions. If I ever get to run this (ha, ha, ha) I'd probably want to start with the factions as they were and break them down sometime along the campaign - but then again, 2003 and 2008 are so darn good milestones for shakeups. Then again, Comte/Freak switcheroo is a great unexpected twist to drop to challenge what the players were told all along and the Panama Papers affair could also work as a final nail in TNI's coffin (especially given the motif of major breach of trust).

I hope Atlas drops some character sheets/cheat sheets soon after kickstarter closes, because gamma version document having no table of contents and poo poo makes it kinda clunky to try and work in practice.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 5, 2016

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Holy poo poo those charsheets :swoon:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

We're also home to the most UA person who ever lived, a homeless guy who wandered around writing 'Eternity' on sidewalks and somehow had that immortalized during the 2000 New Year's Eve celebrations: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Stace

quote:

In 1963, photographer Trevor Dallen cornered Arthur and asked to take a few pictures of him writing his famous phrase. After four photos, Trevor ran out of film and asked for Stace to stay put while he got more film. Upon Trevor's return, Stace was gone.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

boymonster posted:

I still really like the ones Thomas has made, though.

And that is a correct opinion, sir. I do hope there will be also an alternative for black and white printing, though!

PS. It's nice to see a Cool RPG Dude here on this dead forum.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Ask him about the new UA magick schools. Specifically, that on the whole they seem to be less self-destructive and more of an "easy come easy go" variety of getting and losing charges. Was that planned on purpose for the new era and tone of 3rd ed UA, or did it just happen to turn out that way while he was simply thinking of suitably XXI century ideas?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The UA3 pdfs look pretty sweet. Time to get busy never playing it!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Hey guys,

I'm looking towards doing a few little hacks of Usagi Yojimbo to suit my purposes. One of them would include cutting the antropomorhized animals angle in lieu of boring humans. For chargen purposes, I'd switch them to zodiac signs or something, but it'd probably be nice to sprinkle a few perks in place of species that just have to go (flying bats, tunneling moles etc.). Any idea where to steal from?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

GNOMON is top tier though.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Can you still play old-school adepts in the new system, maybe with some modifications?

It would be weird if your magick (and your belief system) changed because the universe around you was changing in ways you couldn't deny.

Yeah, it's super easy to port and sokme of them got refreshed in book 4. They'll mostly just work as-is and for the edge cases you should refer to the DIY Magick School Charge Pricing Guide.

A lot of the "fanglessness" of the new schools is due to shift from "what if these self-destructive habits were magic?" to "wow, people on the internet get really weird about common subcultures, wonder if they'd be magic". This is sometimes really cool (love the jabs at NRA, tv tropers and 4chan). Kinda wish meme magic and church of kek erupted earlier, that'd be fun in this game. Also, fulminaturgy should imo with only the pacifist taboo, it's both a great paradox and a tasty troll.

The two schools I really dislike are the agrimancy and motumancy. The former is just all around lame and the charges/taboo mechanics seem really unexciting and the latter seems really stuck in its own rear end - both deeply embedded with ~metaplot~ and its abstract labelling minigame. I just don't feel them at all.

I also find it difficult to judge the setting chans/updates. On their own, I think the old ways are a bit stronger, but the new ones are oftentimes really cool twists on 2ed expectations. It's just that since no one ever actually played the old editions, it might be tricky to properly leverage things that are cool in context for UA neophytes.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

My single favourite 'other' thing about UA is that the better you get at magick, the more you get broken and powerless to deal with the most mundane poo poo.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Well, that's a hell of a LARP.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

A F.A.T.A.L. LARP? :getin:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

hyphz posted:

And this kind of yanks that away. As does the rule that Archetypes can attack their own Godwalkers if they attempt to replace them thus making it suicidal (I'm pretty sure in Statosphere they couldn't because attacking their own representative would violate their position as Archetype per se)

Pretty sure this was always in?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

A Dirty World is not really setting focused at all.

It is, however, very genre focused instead.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Well, old boardgamegeeek.com looked like GNOMON anyway.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The taboo is agreeing Hitler knew about holocaust.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I think creation of games is pretty antithetical to the whole idea. The school is about destruction inherent in caring too much about the game; like an overprotective parent pushing his kid away.

Also I don't think Chess puzzles should count at all - they're not an actual game, but a mere game-themed puzzle: something that is supposed to have one solution. Nobody gives a poo poo about others solving the same puzzle, while clearly writing out an optimal mathematical solution on BGG ruins the game for everyone, rendering it useless and obsolete (see: A Few Acres of Snow).

While the cycle of creation and solution is one way to game the taboo (much like some Oneiromancers use to calculate their sleep and awake cycles for particular purposes), it's not really as simple as it sounds. First, you need to make and publish a game that has some decent following (otherwise, what's the point if the collective consciousness is not involved?). Then, once you rip it in half - admit the fact your own creation is a worthless, solvable piece of poo poo - well, where are you going to find rubes to give a poo poo about your next product. Or third? (answer: be David Sirlin).

The best gig for a Joyphage is having a secret contact within Magic: the Gathering future league, to give themselves all the time in the world to tinker with the One Meta Deck that will destroy any tournament variety. Just gotta spend that charge before the next set drops and resets all the hard work.

Why do you think there still are people willing to play Vintage and spend the required cash on it?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Call it Yomi to make him happy and simply treat it as Bluff.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

Maybe there are 1 in 1 billion rare Pepes that are powerful.

Now that's a campaign macguffin.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It's good, but many folks do find the new adepts underwhelming, due to a bit of a tonal shift (GNOMON owns bones, though). Do check out the Book 4 schools, there's a bunch of cool ideas & remixes there.

Also bear in mind it's super-easy to port 2 ed content, with the only real obstacle being schools that suffered thematically by the rise of the internet and general social change since 90s (but again, that's what the book 4 is for).

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

While I don't see the Mother archetype at risk of being usurped any time soon, it could be cool to have an explicitly male NPC hatching a plan to storm the archetype on the surprise.

You know, playing on the fact single dads get praised to high heaven for what is considered basic parental care expected from mothers. Perhaps he'd start by setting himself up as a stay at home dad, wistfully reminding everyone at the playground of the career he sacrificed to care for the kids as the wife keeps flying around the world on various business assignments. Then introduce drugs to his overworked breadwinning wife so he can carefully engineer familial breakdown for the opportunity to "rescue" the kids from their actual mother, in defiance of domestic crime gender expectations. All told in tears on his parenting blog.

Stage two of the plan would involve marrying another dude to imprint himself in collective consciousness as a tv personality champion of adoption by same-sex parents.

Have him be prepared really well to avoid breaking the archetype's taboo (or even frustratingly turn it into opportunities to showcase his motherly care and devotion), but eventually let the players figure out his secret weakness is near-hysteric avoidance of anything that could be deemed too paternal, which would undermine his entire plan.

Not really the kind of enemy that really could shake the stratosphere up, but perhaps a decent street-level walking misery generator to showcase avatars can be hosed up too.

[edit] Insane theorems that are seemingly both redpill and ultra-woke at the same time are a given for this guy.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 21, 2017

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

What makes The Heisenberg Messenger or The True Executive different enough to replace The Messenger or The True King?

Fake news (see memes)!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

That seems pointless.

So you essentially want to set the objective for your players that's (seemingly) mundane and unrelated to the greater cosmology of UA and you don't really have a campaign idea behind it. What difference does it make?

By all means, throw it out as an example so that your players aren't stumped by the idea of inventing normies doing normie things, have them do whatever and then your job is to inject some magicks into it to kick the entire thing off.
- The easy way is having the antagonist use magick to further his goals, or be secretly warring with another occult underground faction.
- Make him a stooge of one of the factions, like keeping heat off local Sleepers or siphoning public funds to the local cell of The New Inquisition.
- Alternatively, give the players opportunity to grab some ritual to help with their entirely mundane quest and when they inevitably gently caress up it's a a prime opportunity for Sleepers and other occult freaks to flock in to cause trouble and sling exposition. Tricking them into making a deal with a demon is probably the best case scenario for fuckery.

Remember that gutter magick is your friend! Don't be afraid to ask a player of a past brush with supernatural - completely blind, just fish for some low-key generic horror-y stuff (ouija board worked! I told Fred to go die in a fire and he did, very same day!). As the players try to tug at the mystery, it'll turn out things work in a particular, UA way and tend to attract weird peeps.

If in need for a proper exposition-slinger, I think NPC Entropomancers are perfect for the job. Have a dude jump on the bus PCs are riding and start playing russian roulette, alternating between himself and the driver and sling some weird magicks if PCs try to rush him, or get cops involved or whatever. He can offer some rambling, semi-correct exposition when PCs catch and interrogate him, perhaps hang around to get them more deeply embroiled in the occult underground and accidentally blow his brains out mid-scene the second they get comfortable with having a friendly GMC around.

Anyhow, check this out (even just the preview) for a cool evil magick mayor idea. The 333rd Reich might be just the most post-Trump UA name I've seen.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

The first Campaign Starter Kit for UA 3ed is out, Raiders of the Lost Mart, setting the players out as the night shift employees of an All-Mart store, where magickal artifacts from another realiy tend to be found among the aisles and many weird and dangerous people tend to appear once the store empties out.

And it's amazing. I wasn't really looking towards these campaign starters, expecting them to be a :effort: bunch of pre-gens, but I kept giggling through all 24 pages of the document and now can't wait for the rest of the kits.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Ritual magick = you completed a quest to find Necronomicon and are rewarded with your classic horror game occult spell, somewhat detached from this game's postmodern magick shtick.

Gutter magick = you stumbled upon this kind of harebrained ritual and by the magic of trial and error it happened to work and now you kind of think you understand the vague idea behind it and if you don't have your enemies tooth this time you probably could mcgyver around it with enough of his minced fingernails.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Lumbermouth posted:

Trying to figure out some good risks for an influencer Entropomancer with a trust fund and a following. A lot of the standard minor charge risks aren't speaking to a character who has a stable source of income. Maybe risking her social standing?

Influencer you say? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgNCydcMMDk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Strange Matter posted:

What's the system for Termination Shock anyway?

It's kind of weird. You have three stats that each get assigned a different die and you roll all three of them anyway when testing stuff (so the odds of success are pretty much universally constant). However, the die with the worst result defines which stats were responsible for failure/success - so for example if if your Energy (the forcefulness stat) is your smallest die, your failures will be more often flavored as you being hesitant or overpowered and the successes will generally go to other stats.

The mechanically important bits of the character sheet are basically perks that proc off success or failure with a given stat - this can be direct numbers-meddling like "if you were about to miss with a gun when Energy is lowest, reroll a die" or, more often, some crit effect like "if your shot didn't have Energy as the weaksauce stat, you can damage a second target".