Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
I created an Unknown Armies adept school (about 95% complete, just need to flesh out a few sig spells) based on board games and would love feedback and criticism. The link, if you're so inclined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is cool.
Thank you!

quote:

King Me is cool, but it's an extraordinarily powerful effect that permanently damages people it's cast on. If they're already an adept, they're permanently insane. I suppose you could tweak it so that it's not automatically their obsession skill, and it decays at 1% per day until it hits zero, unless they decide to make it their obsession and then they're on the path for good. An adept is probably still going to have some issues until it wears off.
Oh, excellent point. This was in no way intended to be used on non-Joymancer adepts or random people; it's mean to introduce prospective students to the school. I need to alter it to reflect that. Or, scrap it entirely if I can come up with a better idea for a spell with that name (I have to have a spell named King Me, for crying out loud).

quote:

I feel like there should be a way for a Gambler Avatar to follow it, but they'd have to walk a narrow line. I'd suppose that they could play for money, but the money can't be the purpose. If you're entering a chess tournament with the goal of winning the prize, you'd taboo. Giving away or forfeiting the prize should certainly be a way out. Also, playing to increase ELO, or win titles should be permitted even though those aren't magical, you're not playing for fun, you're playing to win. Hustling people at bars to earn some beer money, that's a taboo.
Edit:

Here's the gambler for reference: http://www.atlas-games.com/pdf_storage/TheGambler.pdf

Oh, thanks. I've only read 3rd ed., and haven't done a deep-dive yet into the older stuff. I did toy with having some sort of Avatar version of this but having it tie to the Gambler is pretty cool. I'll take a look and see how it might work.

Everything Counts fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 16, 2017

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

great points

You've given me a lot to consider here; thank you.

I know the chess/checkers thing sticks out a bit from the theme but felt they'd sort of "muscled in" due to the weight of human belief--a mirror of the Invisible Clergy and archetypes. I could try to rewrite it and emphasize that a bit more (there could be something interesting there in the idea of platonic ideals) but I think it's more interesting to instead emphasize the split between "traditional" games and the new designs that have been gaining popularity. I'm glad you picked up on that as there was a deliberate intent to hew closer to older, "childish" games (though I did cheat a bit with a Catan reference).

I'll rejigger the spells to be more cohesive. Like you said, UA schools can have some oddities to them that don't always seem to make sense, and I think I just got a bit overwhelmed at all the different effects I could use rather than finding multiple ways to use 2-3 effects well.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah brb, I gotta replace the entire write-up with this

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Okay, Joymancers, take two. More significance on using games to divine fate and chance, more focus to the spells (although there are some sig spells that slip the theme as I do want at least a few weird effects), and I've made the preference for simple "childish" games into text instead of subtext. I did not include ties to the Gambler archetype or notes on a second "Eurogame" school, cuz I should just focus on getting this right before letting ambition take over. Comments can be left on the file so you don't have to make a post on the forums just to say "Don't do this thing right here."

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Like you say, this is a heck of a tightrope to walk, but you could for sure get some good stuff out of it. If you haven't already, you should listen to Roleplaying Public Radio's Actual Play called The Power Of Love. It touches on some similar ideas that you might find useful.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

It is currently on sale over at DriveThruRPG.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Ritual magick is old, it is exact, and it is pre-written. Someone else devised the ritual; you're just finding it in a scroll or old book or one of Edison's wax cylinders. You have to do it exactly as described or it won't work (and even if done exactly as described, it still may not work. poo poo's fickle).

Gutter magick is something you come up with out of desperation by forcing a bunch of symbolic actions into something that looks magickal, and by God it worked. It doesn't have to be exact; like Lichtenstein said, if you wanted someone's tooth but couldn't get it you could probably make do with nail clippings.

Ritual magick is casting a circle of demon protection from the Necronomicon by lighting the specified candles, drawing precise and correct circles in salt, and chanting correctly as laid out in the book. Gutter magick is Wyatt & Gary in Weird Science: creating a woman's body by approximating a scene from Frankenstein with a Barbie doll as they wear bras on their heads.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

I am working on a UA archetype called the Weary Traveler, people who travel so frequently for their job/responsibility that they have no real time for themselves. This is one of their Taboos; does this scan? I want to be sure it's understandable.

"Weary Travelers have to spend more money each month on work-related expenses than on themselves. This includes your housing, groceries, and other necessities. Work-related expenses can be directly paid by the company, or paid by the avatar and reimbursed, or (if you’re a parent) not recovered at all, but it has to add up to more than you spend on personal hobbies or meals or whatnot. (Travelers who are weary because of family catch a break here; if your family lives with you then housing, groceries, etc. are considered work-related.)"

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

mellonbread posted:

Enforcement is tricky, it requires stricter financial bookkeeping than the Plutomancer/Plutophage (the only other spell schools that require the player to track dollars and cents).
Ugh, that's a good point and I'm frustrated I didn't see it right out. Yeah, I certainly don't want to add any systems that make the game fiddly.

Cantorsdust posted:

Agree that money is going to be fiddly. Why not make the requirement time? Weary travellers have to spend more time on the road/on the job/in flight than not. If travellers are weary due to family, nights spent with family during which you're unable to get any personal stuff done also count.
This could work. Makes it more of a narrative thing than something that has to be tracked closely.

Xand_Man posted:

Couple minmaxing qs:

Would putting nice meals and drinks on a company expense account work? I imagine you could treat yourself pretty well if you had a job that involved a lot of client schmoozing.

If family qualifies, where is the line? If a family vacation with kids is work (it definitely is), how about a weekend away with your spouse?
Expensing nice meals absolutely works. You gotta find your perks where you can, right?

You're weary because of the work you're doing for someone else, so if your spouse is ill/disabled and you're their primary carer then a weekend away would count since you're presumably still doing care work/errands for them. Or, if your spouse is emotionally/physically abusive and makes you do everything for them, that would also count as work. But if your spouse is a respite from your responsibilities then a weekend away is just that. (Vacation with kids is of course very much work.)

This is just one of a few taboos so if I can't make it come together I'm okay with dropping it, there's alternatives. Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

OK, looking at everything posted here has inspired me to redo some of the stuff for the WT. It's now explicitly tied to their Responsibility, although that can be as vague as "my job" or "my kids."
Taboos:
-Their Responsibility cannot fall below 50%. It starts play equal to Knowledge ability so if you start below 50% that's OK, but once it goes over it needs to stay over.
-Cannot take more than three days at a time for themselves. Get nine days of PTO in a row, that's three separate breaks.
-The "sometimes the relationship rolls you" rules on pg. 37 of Book One are altered. Once per session the GM can roll against the identity, and if it rolls under then the Responsibility calls with some urgent thing that needs doing. Do the task and you get +1% to your Relationship. Refuse and it breaks taboo; you lose 1-5% on both the Relationship and the avatar identity. These tasks are mundane distractions but once your avatar identity is over 71%, synchrony begins twisting events to draw these mundane errands into the world of the Underground.

Everything Counts fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 30, 2022

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Hey, so I have published The Weary Traveler as part of my new Statosphere product, Three Miles Of Bad Road. A supplement themed around the magick of roads and streets. It also includes The Fugitive, and three new schools including Petrolphages, which people seem to like. It also includes rituals, artifacts, and some identities I'm pretty pleased with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Guildencrantz posted:

It could do pretty well moved to other real-world historical periods as well. The design problem there is that the premise of the game is "effect change in the world through magick" and you'd have a hard time stopping players from exploiting actual present-day knowledge to bring about a specific alternate history outcome. (Which is in itself a potentially fun game, but would need to be about that and it will get silly if they know a lot more about the world than their characters are supposed to)

You can work with this. Make the characters from the modern day but somehow sent back in time through occult weirdness, into an already-altered history. If they want to get home they have to use magick to mold this timeline into the "real" one they know.