Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm tentatively thinking about some good, old fashioned Reigning. I've spent too long playing * World games and now everything seems crunchy, heh.

I've got a few questions to the Goon Hivemind:

1) Any favourite solution to the problem of boring no-choice headshots? Shuffling the hit zones so that head in hit on height 1, or perhaps some other number to avoid clashes with poo poo like that martial art whose users cannot be hit in the legs, RAW?

2) Any popular/cool house rules and fixes in general?

I make hit location based on waste dice, with a default hit to torso if there are none present. Gives waste dice something to do, and makes the Calles Shot rules a little more palatable in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I'm a big Grim War fan, and I've just gotten through reading the hardcopy I got for Christmas.

Conjuring (Demons) vs Invocation (Archons) isn't quite a case of Black Hat vs White Hat; Invocation has a 'summon a revenge archon' spell that specifically requires you to decapitate someone your target loves and send them the head before sending the archon after them, so both sides of the line have some nasty business in them. Tezzor's right in that there are a few more nasty-business demon spells than archon spells, but if you're trying to avoid human sacrifice/non-PC material, it's not hard to do it.

Conjuring is presented as more dangerous, but has the advantage that when you confront a demon you've summoned, hurting them enough gives you power over them and they can't just leave to avoid you, while you have the convince Archons to do what you want. If you're willing to risk Lord War tearing off your head and wearing it as a hat, there's more certainty in summoning him than there is in Summoning the Blade of Justice.

Now, using the appeasement spells in Invoking mean that you can make it pretty likely that yonder Blade of Justice will agree to work for you, but the Demon Hurting spells can do the same for Lord War, and also have general Demon Hurting uses outside of that.

It isn't a perfect system, and I actually wish that the Generic Demon stats had at least a little something over the Generic Archon stats to represent the danger you're taking in summoning them, but I think it works pretty well.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Speaking of Stoltze, does anyone here have any experience with Reign? I'd expect more people to be into it, "lead your own nation or your own mercenary company" sounds like a real crowd pleaser, but I rarely come across people who played it.

I love the hell out of it and have run a few games in it, including at least one long running campaign that went great. Other than the invariable undodgable headshot problem, I've found it works fantastically if your players mesh with ORE.

LaSquida fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 25, 2016

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So most people who read this thread are probably aware, but in case you aren't: Greg Stolze's latest kickstarter for Terminarion Shock is struggling to fund.
It's the "design your own spacecraft for play" book so I'm really hoping it makes it, and it has add ons if you want to pick up rhe whole line for a song.

Greg's "here's the neat thing I want to make" approach really helped crowdfunding gain traction in the RPG space, but has struggled in the newer, stupider landscape these days. I hope this one makes it!

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
It's a reference to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliosphere, which is a big setting element in the game