Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
What dpi do you guys scan with in Epson Scan? Also what's the deal with Digital ICE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Epson Scan seems to be greying out the feature anyway when I select Positive Film.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Apologies if this has been covered previously but can anyone speak to the benefit of upgrading from the Epson holders to the BetterScanning ones? The MF Epson holder that comes with the V800 can only fit two negatives at a time and it feel like a huge time suck.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Just ordered the Better Scanning MF Holders for my v800. I guess the T-Locks are out of production but they include two 120 ANR glass inserts standard now.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

Just ordered the Better Scanning MF Holders for my v800. I guess the T-Locks are out of production but they include two 120 ANR glass inserts standard now.

Got these yesterday and loving them. Going from being able to scan two shots at a time to six is huge and on top of that these holders actually fit the dimensions of the film and don't bend the negatives.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Post a screenshot of your Epson Scan settings.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Those lab scans look like garbage. If you have access to a scanner why shell out for lab scans?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Epson Scan fucks up finding the frames in preview 100% of the time for me. I just flip it to Normal mode, drag the box over the area I want scanned, and double click the scan button.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Anyone have tips for scanning slide film in Epson Scan?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Seems like the only way I can get a properly exposed scan is by turning on the Color Control option with continuous auto exposure selected. Is this normal or am I overlooking something?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I've seen some really sharp 35mm scans from the plustek 8200i

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

As someone that just switched from using Epson Scan to Silverfast please use Silverfast.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Spedman posted:

I must admit to having the complete opposite feelings, all I want is a tiff with all the info that I can right later.

I'll post a side-by-side comparison at some point, but I noticed a significant jump in quality of the scans between the two on a plain 48-bit TIFF positive scan for each. It was pretty jarring because I had it in my head all the software options were identical since I started scanning.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

You want your scanner software to be doing as little as possible to the image. Turn everything off.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Invert and set b/w points with a curves adjustment layer in PS. You don't need an action.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

That's what the action does but with more repeatable accuracy and obviously speed.

I used it for a bit. I'm not trying to diminish your abilities or discourage people from automating their workflow process but it was a useful starting point maybe 30% of the time compared to setting the points manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Just got a Plustek 8200i. The process for getting two scanners set up in Silverfast is insane but once I got it sorted the results are a huge improvement from my V800 with 35mm scans.

• Locked thread