Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I got drunk last night and ordered a V500 from B&H :(

That's the best negative scanner that I'm gonna find for $125, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

HPL posted:

Unlike many things you can do while drunk, ordering a V500 is something you probably won't regret unless you shoot large format.

Nope, I'd say that 90% of my scans will be 6x6 b&w negatives, with maybe a few rolls of 35mm on the side.

On that note, do any b&w films scan particularly well? I usually go with T-Max 100- is that alright for scanning?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I'm having an issue with my V500 that I was hoping ya'll could shed some light on. Lately I've been shooting a lot of black and white, and while the negatives look fine under a loupe (i.e. they appear to be more or less properly exposed and have plenty of detail in the highlights), whenever I go to scan them the highlights come out completely blown out and everything is overexposed. Whenever I try to tweak anything and bring the exposure down the contrast goes to poo poo and everything gets super grainy.

Is this just a problem inherent to cheap scanners, or is there something I can actually do about it?

Here's an example from a roll of tri-x. Just looking at the negative the exposure looks fine, but with the scanner I get this:

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Just the stock epson software- is that the problem?

• Locked thread