Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I've been scanning my 120 and have been very happy with the results I'm getting. I've been scanning at (I think) 600dpi for 10" on the long side then resizing down after correcting levels and such in PS. Someone wants a print of one of the scanned shots and the image I have is ~3700x2600 pixels. They're looking to print this around 36"x24" or so, possible a little smaller. They've been using a webapp from a reputable print shop and it's giving them some indication that the resolution of the file is appropriate for a 12"x9" print.

I'm guessing I should at this point scan at a higher DPI, or should I leave the DPI at 600 and scan for a larger image? I believe the epson v550 I'm using has a maximum optical resolution of 6400dpi but I know better than to scan at that. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

8th-snype posted:

Epson's have a "real" resolution of roughly 2400dpi so imho the highest scanning res that's worth your time is 3200dpi. This will get you plenty pixels for a print of that size.

Should I also be setting the output size of the scan to the desired size of the print? Thanks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I used an online tool and got this. Guess I'll try scanning at 3200 and see how it looks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

unpacked robinhood posted:

I don't know how to do this reliably without relying on my eyes and taste
e: fiddled with the green channel a bit.

Are you setting each channel's (RGB) black individually? It might help. You can use the RGB all-in-one for setting highlight clipping. Adjusting levels like that will make your scans more 'reliable' without having to play with each image too much.

• Locked thread