Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Ok so I'm looking to pick up a scanner for film. I'll be shooting 120/220 on a Pentax 6x7, so 55x70mm negatives.

From what I can tell, I should get something like the Epson V600 or so.

Is it worth the price difference vs the V550, and how is the V550 anyways? I've only heard people talking about the V500 and V600 (and the V700 as well), but never anything about the 550.

V500: $185
V550: $170
V600: $210

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

TheLastManStanding posted:

:psyduck: Did something happen to the film scanner market while I wasn't looking? I was about to ask where you live, but Adorama seems to confirm those prices. I bought my v600 from them for $160 a couple years back and the v500 was only around $120.

I'm in Canada, and it seemed weird that people were talking about sub-$100 v500 and such.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I am looking at scanners for scanning 6x7 negatives.

Originally I was looking at the Epson V600, but I noticed that the V550 existed and was on sale; V600 being right around $200 and claiming to offer 6400x9600 dpi resolution, while the V550 is right around $150 and claims to offer 6400dpi resolution.

Are those changes worth the additional 50 bucks, or are there other things that would be worth it? Or should I just buy the 550 and spend the other 50 bucks on whatever crack or film or whatever it is kids spend money on these days

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I bought an epson v550.

I am having one hell of a time getting images in focus. I'm pretty bad at focussing my slr but I'm not thaaat bad.

using epson scan and vuescan, I'm getting completely different results. Including where the focussing is.
On epson scan, the stock height is pretty close. On vuescan, I need 3 layers of tape.

I also have tons of little white spots in vuescan that aren't there on epson scan. No adjustments in epson scan. Neither the scanner nor the film is that dirty in those spots

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 15, 2017

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

And under configuration, color control, it Was set to Color Control, I've since turned it off. Here's the result with it off

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Just checked, yup all boxes unchecked.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I have to do that on my Epson software

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I did for a while.

I suggest buying a good lightbox with a full color spectrum, a solid tripod head, and shoot tethered.

I was having endless issues with color correction, because my lightbox produced very blue light.
Shooting tethered is probably the best idea because you can see your focus on a huge screen and not a small viewfinder or lcd.

Autofocus won't matter, so just buy whatever good manual focus macro lens you need. In fact, probably preferable because of the long focus throw I used my 55mm micro-nikkor (maxes out at 1:2, suuuuper long focus throw) but I would probably suggest 100mm+.
Having a wide aperture doesn't matter much either, since you'll probably be shooting at f8.

• Locked thread