Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I see lots of used specialized scsi scanners at bargain prices.
Are those going to be a headache working with recent-ish computers for subpar quality compared to Epson Vxxx models ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I picked up a cheap V100 and started playing a bit.
While it's far behind what I see posted here in terms of image quality it lets me play around with curves and color rendition, and maybe decide if I'd like to go all in later for a more recent model.

My only complaint is that the scans lose lots of details, which seems more like a focus thing than a limit in resolution. Is it something I'll have to accept for now or is that what the betterscanning holders are for ?

e: I'm scanning 35mm negatives
e2: betterscanning doesn't have V100 models, oh well

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 10, 2015

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Will pick up an Epson tomorrow. I hope it does better. I'm shooting an event tomorrow, too, and I'd like to have negatives developed and scanned by the end of the weekend. If I could get both those things done at home, that would be awesome.

I just bought a V600, it's way sharper than what you posted on 35mm.

e: better but not by a huge margin, I guess that's what the betterscanning holders are for

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 10, 2015

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure if this question makes sense but if I'm scanning a really dark negative, I end up with a lot of digital noise on my V600.

Is there a setting to augment the "exposure time" to get more data out of the dark areas ?
This is assuming the scanner uses the same amount of light and sensor time for each line of the final image.

I recently shot this and I'm kinda bummed about how it came out on scan. Maybe I should just expose like a normal person though

I don't know how scanners work :toot:

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 24, 2016

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

big scary monsters posted:

I haven't experienced that problem but VueScan lets you do multiple passes at different exposures, perhaps see if your software allows that?

It sounds really interesting, I'll try that next week end . thanks !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I don't know how to do this reliably without relying on my eyes and taste
e: fiddled with the green channel a bit.

VelociBacon posted:

Are you setting each channel's (RGB) black individually? It might help. You can use the RGB all-in-one for setting highlight clipping. Adjusting levels like that will make your scans more 'reliable' without having to play with each image too much.

Yes but in the end I always adjust the "middle point" on one or more channels (I don't know how it's called) until I get a result I like

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 12, 2016

• Locked thread