Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

Sounds like time for PROMOTIONS!

oh no, this is not a case of "blackmail my way up" and more "the moment i get out of here they are getting raided by a government organisation because this poo poo is hosed". i can count some ten data protection violations.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Another Person posted:

oh no, this is not a case of "blackmail my way up" and more "the moment i get out of here they are getting raided by a government organisation because this poo poo is hosed". i can count some ten data protection violations.

Oh, good news! The government doesn't care about that. Remember Equifax? They still retained their multi-million dollar contracts with the IRS.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Another Person posted:

Which in theory involves people getting fired and others in the company taking their job title*. Promotions either way!

*promoting from within is in itself a :lol: idea these days, I know.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

e:blurg

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 23, 2018

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I started my first call center job early last year. It's front-line tech support for our software, and honestly, it's a pretty nice place to work. Taking phone calls still gives me a sick feeling in my stomach every day, but I did a good enough job that I was 'promoted' to the chats-only team, which is much preferred.

Around the beginning of 2018 I offered to start making training videos that could be used internally or externally. I wasn't told explicitly 'no', so I just started coming in on my days off and learning how to capture and edit video with Camtasia (I'd never actually created videos before). My work was apparently good enough that they got me a company laptop and a Adobe Creative Cloud suite license. I'd work on these videos whenever the queue was manageable.

Yesterday, the director of my department called me into her office. I'd been pushing for a title change and a raise for a little while, in large part because duh more money, but also because being free from the shackles of the queue would free up my time to get more work done on training materials. I was half expecting her to tell me that the little video experiment was over, and that I needed to stop and move back to tech support full time.

Instead, she said that our CTO had liked my work and my attitude, and asked me to write up a job req for a new role for myself. Her words when describing what to write in the req were 'dream big' - to include if I need a Macbook rather than a Windows laptop for video editing, or if I need dedicated recording space (I'd been recording voiceovers in my car because the acoustics in our office suck).

I'm over the moon about this, but trying to stay grounded because I know none of this is guaranteed yet. I just wanted to share it with y'all because I feel for everyone who shares their horror stories about their call center jobs, and I hope you can all find yourself in a position where you can get out of that mess.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Congratulations!

Just one small thing: Think of your new opportunity as building yourself a springboard to your future career, not as a cushy position where you are now.

Make yourself VERY familiar with the negotiation thread here in BFC. Maybe don't use it so much for your new job since it's basically your company doing you a favor, but use it for inspiration for the next steps you are going to take in a year or two.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

"I need help with this form"

*form only asks for name, address, signature and date*

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

PenguinKnight posted:

"I need help with this form"

*form only asks for name, address, signature and date*

We slap applicants with surcharges if they gently caress forms like this up. Oh? You misspelled your name? That will be $140 to correct.

The joys of government call centers.

Lord Booga
Sep 23, 2007
Huh?
Grimey Drawer
I like the "Can I speak to your supervisor" calls, because they generally consist of my team leader saying

"So what did LB say?" ..... "Well, he's correct, and there's not much we can do to make it any quicker/more possible" 9 times out of 10.

The 1 time it's not, it's just because I can't give away that much money even if we did stuff it up.

AmyTheeStallion
Sep 11, 2011
This call center is so bad, I don’t know if I can make it through my next, final week here. I really don’t want to come in... It seems like they are purposefully ratcheting up the harrassment re: call times and non-phone duties just in time to piss all over my last week! Plus, I just got married and am moving soon; I could use the time more than the money.

I’m happy that I am allowed~ to work on things off the phone, but it just makes me more anxious as I watch the queues build, waiting for someone to yell at me about the call metrics.

The final week, though, is going to be nothing but calls, nothing but management harping on somebody using a cellphone or their shirt style... I just want to ask for unpaid leave or docked time, and be done with it. If I wasn’t transferring internally, I’d have left already (already been two weeks).

Anyone ever asked for docked time? gently caress this. Maybe there’s a union thread I can ask in...

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Phones been down for over two hours, oh glorious day!

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!
Hello call center goons. I hope this is the right place to ask, but I have something I'm concerned about.

Recently I changed team leads. Ok, that's fine. Here's the weird part though: she has me scheduled for a one-on-one coming up soon at the beginning of my shift. In the past, I very rarely have had one-on-ones, and when I do, it's often not at the beginning of shift.

What I'm basically trying to ask is, in your opinion, am I in some sort of trouble?

Thanks for any input/advice.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yes. But there's no reason for you to give a poo poo.

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes. But there's no reason for you to give a poo poo.

Elaborate. What I'm guessing you're saying is that it's going to be about something dumb like stats. Am I right?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Normally I would guess there's a nonzero chance you're being fired, but lol this is a call center, they'll never fire anyone unless you no-showed shifts or murdered your boss's dog and performed a bizarre ritual with its innards or something. So yes it's probably some kind of bullshit writeup that you shouldn't worry about because, again, this is a call center. Unless there's something unique about your position or you're further up the chain than you've let on.

Also possible your new team lead is brand new to supervising and it's some kind of rah-rah thing but who knows. Basically you'll get to find out what kind of person she is if you haven't already.

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

Eric the Mauve posted:

they'll never fire anyone unless you no-showed shifts

I haven't done this but I have had attendance issues. They have not given much of a poo poo about those.

Edit: I appeared on a list in an email that was sent out recently about AUX stats or some crap like that. Most likely that's what it's going to be about.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Eric the Mauve posted:

Also possible your new team lead is brand new to supervising and it's some kind of rah-rah thing but who knows. Basically you'll get to find out what kind of person she is if you haven't already.

Could be this! Was in a very similar situation with a new sup recently and it wound up being this, weirdly scheduled 1-on-1's to sit down with the team.

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Could be this! Was in a very similar situation with a new sup recently and it wound up being this, weirdly scheduled 1-on-1's to sit down with the team.

I think she is new to this particular project sooooooo yeah. Who knows!

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
Trying to look around for other work. Really discouraging because a lot of other entry-level (I'm a college dropout) jobs in my city are also call centers. Or an oil refinery which also needs tradespeople/specific skills.

I would not mind working min wage (I make the higher end of call center work pay in this area at 30k a year) as long as I could find something full time that is not also a call center.

I think call centers need people who are afraid of stats, but I am not that person. I do not care about making this business some nice numbers.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

indyrenegade posted:

I do not care about making this business some nice numbers.
That's the point of paying employees, because they do work they don't care about doing.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

Sub Rosa posted:

That's the point of paying employees, because they do work they don't care about doing.

Ideally. Where I work it's -major printer company here- and pretty drat corporate, we're held to a pretty long list of standards. When I was fixing iOS phones the only thing they cared about was ACW times

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

indyrenegade posted:

Trying to look around for other work. Really discouraging because a lot of other entry-level (I'm a college dropout) jobs in my city are also call centers.

I'm in the same boat. :smith::respek::smith:

Edit: A new opportunity has arisen. Kelly Services has openings for what look like chat support agents for the client my current company works for. Problem is, though, they're a temp agency. So my fear is that they will give my rear end the boot once the holiday season is over.

The pros:
1) Less stress/anxiety due to it being a chat position.
2) More pay per hour.

The cons:
1) As I mentioned, they may just boot me once the holidays are over.
2) No insurance.

Goons, I need help. Any advice is appreciated.

PixoPoxo fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 12, 2018

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

"I've added on an email and for a password reset, you'll have to use the forgot password link"

2 minutes later

"I haven't gotten your email yet. Did you send it when you added on my email?"
"No you'd have to use the forgot password link to send one to you."

2 minutes later

"I still haven't gotten it. The password's my email right?"
"Did you use the forgot password link"
"No. Am I supposed to do that?"
"Yes."
"So I go onto the website and request the password."
"Yes. You'll have to use the forgot password link to get in."
"So I click on that forgot password link"
"Yes, click on that please"

:smithicide:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

PenguinKnight posted:

"I've added on an email and for a password reset, you'll have to use the forgot password link"

2 minutes later

"I haven't gotten your email yet. Did you send it when you added on my email?"
"No you'd have to use the forgot password link to send one to you."

2 minutes later

"I still haven't gotten it. The password's my email right?"
"Did you use the forgot password link"
"No. Am I supposed to do that?"
"Yes."
"So I go onto the website and request the password."
"Yes. You'll have to use the forgot password link to get in."
"So I click on that forgot password link"
"Yes, click on that please"

:smithicide:

I eventually just broke down and started marching people through it verbally by force. It ended up being less mentally taxing, strangely, and it allows for more banter, etc.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I used to work at a call center, making orders for a mail-order pharmacy. Then the anxiety attacks happened,, and no supervisor wanted to help me with my problems. They just looked at me like I was a burden, which I am. ,

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

SGR posted:

I'm in the same boat. :smith::respek::smith:

Edit: A new opportunity has arisen. Kelly Services has openings for what look like chat support agents for the client my current company works for. Problem is, though, they're a temp agency. So my fear is that they will give my rear end the boot once the holiday season is over.

The pros:
1) Less stress/anxiety due to it being a chat position.
2) More pay per hour.

The cons:
1) As I mentioned, they may just boot me once the holidays are over.
2) No insurance.

Goons, I need help. Any advice is appreciated.

Yknow, temp isn't so so bad. Except around here, I have done temp contracts where you are paid less than if you were an "actual" employee of the company as the temp agency takes a cut.

My perspective: I have reconciled with the idea that temp work is temp work. Being at a position for a few months isn't a bad thing; most people these days don't have the same career for 40+ years like previous generations did.

I say investigate further; there's no harm in scoping out how long they expect an employee to stick around for, and I have seen fellow temp coworkers be fully employed by companies they did temp for. If it were me, I would hope for about 6 months temp if not more, if it's less than that it would be a lot of change in a short period of time, going from current job to temp to having to look around again within a few months.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
I found chat just as stressful as phones. Same bullshit, but with more misspelling and higher chance of misinterpreting.

If they don't have crazy expectations and don't mind you blowing off steam, it's fine. Especially since it's a temporary job, so if you don't like it, you can move on when the contract is up with no issues.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I always had crazy anxiety when I had to take/make phone calls with customers, but I also don't even like talking on the phone to people I know well. Chats were way better for me, and plus, I could listen to music while I worked.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

I'm very literally only hanging on to this call center so I can support my partner getting into Canada. If it wasn't for needing to save money to spend on immigration fees, as well as seeing each other with vacation days, I would go hold down a couple part time jobs or something less mentally taxing than this.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Waffleopolis posted:

I used to work at a call center, making orders for a mail-order pharmacy. Then the anxiety attacks happened,, and no supervisor wanted to help me with my problems. They just looked at me like I was a burden, which I am. ,

Good luck with your disability claims if you go that route, fellow destroyed-by-callcenter person.

To those of you still working, got to say, employee provided long term disability insurance sucks, get a private policy.

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!
I got a job offer for a helpdesk position at a company that provides IT support whose parent company is a particular Japanese telephone company that was a monopoly at one point in time. I'd be dealing with medical-related programs and hospitals, likely nurses and doctors. The pay is pretty darn good, but it's still a call center environment. Anyone have experience or advice? Thanks.

PixoPoxo fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 15, 2018

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

protip: if you're going to lie and say a representative hung up on you, say it after you hang up the phone, and not while the representative is still on the phone with you.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

SGR posted:

I got a job offer for a helpdesk position at a company that provides IT support whose parent company is a particular Japanese telephone company that was a monopoly at one point in time. I'd be dealing with medical-related programs and hospitals, likely nurses and doctors. The pay is pretty darn good, but it's still a call center environment. Anyone have experience or advice? Thanks.

I worked at a call center for a health insurance network and it was a nightmare. The doctors, hospitals, health plans, and pharmacies are all really loving bad at communicating with each other and a large part of the industry is still using fax to get literally everything done. The pay was pretty good so I got a year of experience there and dipped as fast as I could and landed something way better. It was an incredibly stressful environment IMO.

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

Ghosthotel posted:

a large part of the industry is still using fax to get literally everything done.

as someone who fixes multifunction printers with fax capability at a call center: yes

It's clearly unreliable and inefficient (you could also just scan to email whatever documents you need to send to someone). Mostly the problem is it's a two-pronged issue when troubleshooting fax; could be the printer, could be the phone company's problem.

indyrenegade fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 1, 2018

PixoPoxo
Dec 11, 2006
Am get!

Ghosthotel posted:

I worked at a call center for a health insurance network and it was a nightmare. The doctors, hospitals, health plans, and pharmacies are all really loving bad at communicating with each other and a large part of the industry is still using fax to get literally everything done. The pay was pretty good so I got a year of experience there and dipped as fast as I could and landed something way better. It was an incredibly stressful environment IMO.

I found out a little bit more about what I'd be doing and it sounds like I'd be dealing with electronic medical records. This isn't an insurance environment, as far as I know. Anyone have any experience?

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Please go onto your loving online account if you want all of your transaction history. I'm not wasting my goddamn time for sorting through a mile long list of your transactions, when there are calls waiting a minute plus

e: had someone call in pissed, tried to find out what was wrong only to hear "listen to this" as he shredded up the card. oh no, you wound me :thumbsup:

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 1, 2018

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013

blaarghh posted:

I’m in the UK, thanks anyway though :)

It’s 11am - 8pm, not really long hours but unsociable ones I guess.

Govt jobs are still a good bet civil service is nice apart from the long recruitment process for anything that require vetting. strict 37.5 hour weeks, govt pension, lots of jobs the bit I work is constantly looking for people. Also tend to be easy about flex work and other quality of life stuff.
https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Englishman alone posted:

Govt jobs are still a good bet civil service is nice apart from the long recruitment process for anything that require vetting. strict 37.5 hour weeks, govt pension, lots of jobs the bit I work is constantly looking for people. Also tend to be easy about flex work and other quality of life stuff.
https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi.

My cousin also constantly recommended govt jobs here in the us during my stay at a call center. Any US phone monkeys out there, every year you work could be bringing you closer to retirement after 20 years, and its easy as heck to go from one job to a different one (he worked TSA for a while, but now has a sweet office job)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

SGR posted:

I found out a little bit more about what I'd be doing and it sounds like I'd be dealing with electronic medical records. This isn't an insurance environment, as far as I know. Anyone have any experience?

Yeah, I’ve been in a call center for five years now for a company that does EMR/EHR software. It’s still call center work, but the pay is better up to a certain ceiling — it’s still not work that any company is going to pay 50k+ for, but the extra HIPAA responsibility and specialized knowledge does generally give a higher pay grade than general call center stuff.

The downsides are the same, doctors are just as good as credit card customers or whoever at failing to understand reality and yelling at you to perform miracles. Like any other call job, your coworkers and management are going to be 90% of what makes the job bearable (or not). And there’s not an easy path out of it to do other work, even at a reputable and job-diverse company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Why do people use security/verification questions that don't apply to them? Like, if your dog died or you didn't have a dad growing up, then choose something other than "Pet's name" or "Father's middle name" as your question. Don't just enter 'None' as the answer.