Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
He ain't speakin' to cunts as far as I'm aware though, he only typin' at cunts, which I'm guessing makes a hell of a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ZeroDays posted:

He ain't speakin' to cunts as far as I'm aware though, he only typin' at cunts, which I'm guessing makes a hell of a difference.

Until he develops carpel tunnel and get's fired because his wrists feel like sand. :v:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

ZeroDays posted:

And from home, too!

ratbert90 posted:

Until he develops carpel tunnel and get's fired because his wrists feel like sand. :v:

Text to speech :snoop:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The last few days we've been calling data that has been previous marked in our campaign's Call Opt Out and Deaf groups. It has been the worst couple of days I've had in forever. When I told one woman we didn't want to be looking after homeless people again next year she said that was great and there'll be a whole load more homeless people she can donate for instead. THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS :argh:

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

I work in a pharmacy and one of my professional duties is to call insurers to troubleshoot rejected claims so patients can get their medications covered. I've been doing this for 8 years and I've very rarely had difficulty with the call center representatives I've encountered. Today was different. A patient asked us to fill his prescription a few weeks ago and we ran into an issue because the medication wasn't available from the wholesaler. We finally get the medication in, and when processing the prescription something hosed up and the insurance stated he already received the medication and couldn't get it again until March. I call up the insurance company thinking it would be a straight-forward problem to resolve, but this ended up happening:

Call 1:

The representative told me she didn't have authorization to put in overrides for this issue, so they would transfer me to the department that could. Instead of getting transferred I was disconnected.

Call 2:

The representative told me he didn't have a working computer and couldn't offer any assistance aside from telling me to call back an hour later.

Call 3:

The representative listened to the situation, told me she would place me on hold while she worked on getting an override and then hung up on me.

Call 4:

The representative told me he didn't have authorization to put in overrides for the issue, but gave me the phone number for the department I could call for the override. I hang up, call that number, and was informed that I just won an all-expenses paid trip to the Bahamas.

Call 5:

After asking immediately to talk to a supervisor I was transferred to AT&T's billing department.

Call 6:

Informing the patient that the representatives for the insurance company were dumb as poo poo and strongly recommending he file a grievance with Medicare.

I was loving livid after this. I can deal with a lovely representative every once in a while, but when every representative is poo poo it gets really frustrating. If any of you work in the call center that handles Catamaran Medicare Part D do me a favor and slap the poo poo out of your coworkers for me.

My question is is this: How does this happen? Did they sub-contract out to some fly-by-night lowest-bid operation that just doesn't give a gently caress?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Sounds like they have 0 call oversight and no management happening. The call center I used to work with was no where near that bad, but they started to see people hanging up on calls and dropping calls into random call queues. As soon as it started becoming an issue, we started cracking down on people with daily reports showing who was dropping calls and how many times. A bunch of people got fired for it relatively quickly and things shaped up.

I imagine if that hadn't happened, we would end up in the situation described below. It's not easy for them to do what you're asking and they're not going to get punished for anything so gently caress you.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Spoondick posted:

My question is is this: How does this happen? Did they sub-contract out to some fly-by-night lowest-bid operation that just doesn't give a gently caress?

I work for a Canadian health insurance company and loath every time I have to talk to the claims call center people. They don't subcontract it out but the department's budget is responsible for any claims they approve that they shouldn't have. The result is exactly what you experienced. I phone up asking a simple question like "Group has drug plan Y is this DIN covered?" And end up getting the run around. Keep in mind we both work for the same company here and its like trying to draw blood from a stone getting anything out of them.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Spoondick posted:

I work in a pharmacy and one of my professional duties is to call insurers to troubleshoot rejected claims so patients can get their medications covered. I've been doing this for 8 years and I've very rarely had difficulty with the call center representatives I've encountered. Today was different. A patient asked us to fill his prescription a few weeks ago and we ran into an issue because the medication wasn't available from the wholesaler. We finally get the medication in, and when processing the prescription something hosed up and the insurance stated he already received the medication and couldn't get it again until March. I call up the insurance company thinking it would be a straight-forward problem to resolve, but this ended up happening:

Call 1:

The representative told me she didn't have authorization to put in overrides for this issue, so they would transfer me to the department that could. Instead of getting transferred I was disconnected.

Call 2:

The representative told me he didn't have a working computer and couldn't offer any assistance aside from telling me to call back an hour later.

Call 3:

The representative listened to the situation, told me she would place me on hold while she worked on getting an override and then hung up on me.

Call 4:

The representative told me he didn't have authorization to put in overrides for the issue, but gave me the phone number for the department I could call for the override. I hang up, call that number, and was informed that I just won an all-expenses paid trip to the Bahamas.

Call 5:

After asking immediately to talk to a supervisor I was transferred to AT&T's billing department.

Call 6:

Informing the patient that the representatives for the insurance company were dumb as poo poo and strongly recommending he file a grievance with Medicare.

I was loving livid after this. I can deal with a lovely representative every once in a while, but when every representative is poo poo it gets really frustrating. If any of you work in the call center that handles Catamaran Medicare Part D do me a favor and slap the poo poo out of your coworkers for me.

Call center work has you graded by a bunch of metrics, not actually helping people, so essentially companies get the result they asked for (which may or may not be the one they wanted).

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Call center work has you graded by a bunch of metrics, not actually helping people, so essentially companies get the result they asked for (which may or may not be the one they wanted).

A million times this. You probably talked to me. I'm the most unhelpful gently caress on earth on the phone at work. However my stats are great! (I don't work for an insurance company)

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

jassi007 posted:

A million times this. You probably talked to me. I'm the most unhelpful gently caress on earth on the phone at work. However my stats are great! (I don't work for an insurance company)

The X factor is how much you like the person. I used to generally go out of my way to help people even they were even slightly kind.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

The X factor is how much you like the person. I used to generally go out of my way to help people even they were even slightly kind.

There is that. However I find I'm irrational when on the phone. things that just shouldn't bother a person drive me insane. Its because i don't want to be doing what I'm doing, but like when I say hi, you say your my blah blah is broken, I wait 10 seconds after you stop speaking to make sure you are done, start to talk and you cut me off, gently caress you. go die in a fire. If you repeat what your problem is more than once, gently caress you, I was paying attention you dumb gently caress do you think I'm stupid? And so on and so on. I really don't want to talk to customers so I prefer they say my problem is X and then shut up unless I ask them a question, which is unreasonable but hey, thats what I wish my job was like :)

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

jassi007 posted:

There is that. However I find I'm irrational when on the phone. things that just shouldn't bother a person drive me insane. Its because i don't want to be doing what I'm doing, but like when I say hi, you say your my blah blah is broken, I wait 10 seconds after you stop speaking to make sure you are done, start to talk and you cut me off, gently caress you. go die in a fire. If you repeat what your problem is more than once, gently caress you, I was paying attention you dumb gently caress do you think I'm stupid? And so on and so on. I really don't want to talk to customers so I prefer they say my problem is X and then shut up unless I ask them a question, which is unreasonable but hey, thats what I wish my job was like :)
Why don't you get another job? Call centers loving suck, and you clearly hate it.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

SiGmA_X posted:

Why don't you get another job? Call centers loving suck, and you clearly hate it.

Sometimes things aren't that simple. Jobs that pays what I make aren't plentiful. It's an awful job with a decent salary.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

jassi007 posted:

Sometimes things aren't that simple. Jobs that pays what I make aren't plentiful. It's an awful job with a decent salary.
It should be that simple, over the long haul. Get marketable skills -> Do something else. I only stayed at a call center to pay for life while I earned my degree. The call center paid 38k, my first in-career job (hold currently) was a 30% raise and a 200% life improvement. Get some skills and get out.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

It should be that simple, over the long haul. Get marketable skills -> Do something else. I only stayed at a call center to pay for life while I earned my degree. The call center paid 38k, my first in-career job (hold currently) was a 30% raise and a 200% life improvement. Get some skills and get out.

Yeah dude, just get some skills and get out; just like me! I'm a self made man. :smug:

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

ratbert90 posted:

Yeah dude, just get some skills and get out; just like me! I'm a self made man. :smug:
Eh, that wasn't what I meant there. I was working FT in a call center and had a similar mentality about the job ("I really don't want to talk to customers") and did something about it. Some of the complaints in here are pretty strong, and having a job that makes you miserable is not a great way to live.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

SiGmA_X posted:

Eh, that wasn't what I meant there. I was working FT in a call center and had a similar mentality about the job ("I really don't want to talk to customers") and did something about it. Some of the complaints in here are pretty strong, and having a job that makes you miserable is not a great way to live.

I eventually got out too and you're right, but it's probably hard to hear it while you're still working at a call center.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I eventually got out too and you're right, but it's probably hard to hear it while you're still working at a call center.

Call center work has a remarkable ability to suck the energy out of the rest of your life. Not only that, but if you're looking at a few years to get a degree or something, it feels like an eternity because it's such a grind.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

you ate my cat posted:

Call center work has a remarkable ability to suck the energy out of the rest of your life. Not only that, but if you're looking at a few years to get a degree or something, it feels like an eternity because it's such a grind.

I put on a lot of weight and really damaged my relationships with friends, family, and my girlfriend (now my wife) by essentially never talking to anyone (or if I did being a sad sack). I was only doing it eight months but it felt like an eternity.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Call centers and psych wards are the only two places on Earth you'll find fervent fans of extinction events. I would bet money that you would get an enthusiastic response if you asked a clearly stressed out phone monkey 'Are you hoping for an asteroid to hit the planet right now?'.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

I put on a lot of weight and really damaged my relationships with friends, family, and my girlfriend (now my wife) by essentially never talking to anyone (or if I did being a sad sack). I was only doing it eight months but it felt like an eternity.

Yup. This is what happened to me. :( I gained weight, never really talked to anyone. All I did was eat, sleep and work. Also, I was totally rooting for the aliens to destroy humanity. :|

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I did for a while, because I had to spend an hour walking to and from work every day. Then I switched to a different call center and work at home now, and can just talk to my friends over an IRC channel we share. It's done a lot to help keep me from being misanthropic.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
Yet another co worker of mine is gone. Or rather, will be. I highly, highly doubt I will see him after last night. He took a call for a health insurance company we do an out of hours service for, and at the end of the call went 'loving bitch hung up on me!'

Only she hadn't.

And she was the client doing a test call.

Oops.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Operation Juicebox posted:

Yet another co worker of mine is gone. Or rather, will be. I highly, highly doubt I will see him after last night. He took a call for a health insurance company we do an out of hours service for, and at the end of the call went 'loving bitch hung up on me!'

Only she hadn't.

Oops.

Wow. It should be 1000% clear when you get hung up on. Your LINE DISCONNECTS! That's pretty funny though.

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS

Operation Juicebox posted:

Only she hadn't.

Oops.

A few weeks back someone had a bad call and said something like "that stupid bitch" after the call disconnected. Person A said it loud enough that a customer on the line with person B heard it and thought it was about them. The department head caught wind and sat us down individually for an appropriate language seminar. No one was fired but the sit down was the dumbest poo poo.
Same department head has decided to try and take calls to relate more to us but we can see a log of all calls and all messages taken and sent, and she keeps loving sending them to the wrong people and we are the ones left dealing with a guy who isn't on today yelling about how he isn't loving on call today. Then she sends a message over the message system reminding us to tighten up on who we send messages to because we've had too many mistakes today. Just sit in your dumb office and watch movies like you used to.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

hahah, I had someone this morning that was talking with a co-worker and she said out loud "oh poo poo!" not once but twice! enough so that I could hear it. It was early enough in the morning that I don't think it mattered but... you have to keep language in mind at a call center.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Man, I've basically maximized the ease of the call center job through subtle machinations.

I'm work from home 100%, and these days I've managed to get on callouts only for like most of my day, by offering to do "extra" work on the follow up contact report instead of sitting in queue waiting for calls.

Calling out to tell someone easy information or give them the good news that we're replacing their appliances is like a fraction of the stress.

If I can just get a M-F schedule, I think I'll have won call center jobs.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Go for the Tues-Sat schedule so you can have your pick of doctor's appointments and federal holidays! Or a 4-10 schedule!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Loving Life Partner posted:

I'm working at a home warranty company, and home owners who have home warranties are basically the most entitled motherfuckers I've ever encountered.
This isn't an company that went from the UK to the USA, and has its headquarters south of the Mason-Dixon line, is it?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Maybe, if you're referring to Direct Energy

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I found an old weight log from my call center days and it looks like I'm cutting into my call center weight. :unsmith: It looks like I gained 40 pounds (from 160 to 200) in the three years I worked there.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Loving Life Partner posted:

Maybe, if you're referring to Direct Energy

I used to take calls for Direct Energy when I worked at APAC. That was the loving worst.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I work for Home Warranty of America, which just got bought by DE a year or two ago.

I don't really understand the benefit of DE and what it does as far as the energy plans go, and they also do like, water heater rentals and HVAC leasing (which is prooooooobably the biggest scam ever), but yeah.

The warranty side though, I feel is pretty decent overall. Most of the negative experiences people have with them are not understanding what their contract actually covers ("I thought EVERYTHING was covered!").

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Direct Energy is just a predatory company in general. In Texas they offer plans for people with poor credit that are essentially prepaid electricity. Instead of getting a bill once a month you are billed for your usage in real time. If you don't keep your balance positive, your power is shut off immediately.

If you make a payment to bring it back positive it can take 2 or 3 hours for the billing system to turn it back on. The prepaid rates were about 25% higher than the standard rates.

Basically the payday loan vendor of electric companies.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012
I have a problem. I'm an Overnight TSR at an ISP. With my shift premium, I make about ~40K a year with benefits. My base vacation is 3 weeks, but with bank time, I usually get 5-6 weeks of paid vacation. I start and finish work at the same time. Same deal with my breaks. What else can I do with my life? I work four shifts a week, 10hrs a day.After I flunked out of grad school, I'm here. I don't know what else I can really do with my life. I'm 25 and honestly stumped.

Edit:

I just read the thread. I don't have strict metrics to stick to. There's no call length limits or talk time. My wrap window is ~3:30, but as long as it averages out nobody cares. I get two bonuses a year. The customers I speak to are very nice as they're Canadian. Seriously. The odd time someone is extremely rude to me, turns out they're American.

Second Edit: I have friends that do help desk IT for the local hospital. Pay starts at 46K and they're trying to get me in. I applied to dispatch and the construction department at my company (I've spent a lot of time volunteering in the service tech dept). However, I'll lose money going to dispatch. Sure I'll get off at 8pm, but angry contractors will yell at me over the phone, and I'll be working five days a week on a rotating schedule. No thanks.

Third Edit: It's so slow at nights, sometimes there's 30mins between calls.

Sigh. Life wasn't supposed to work out like this...

GiveUpNed fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 9, 2015

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

GiveUpNed posted:

I have a problem. I'm an Overnight TSR at an ISP. With my shift premium, I make about ~40K a year with benefits. My base vacation is 3 weeks, but with bank time, I usually get 5-6 weeks of paid vacation. I start and finish work at the same time. Same deal with my breaks. What else can I do with my life? I work four shifts a week, 10hrs a day.After I flunked out of grad school, I'm here. I don't know what else I can really do with my life. I'm 25 and honestly stumped.

Edit:

I just read the thread. I don't have strict metrics to stick to. There's no call length limits or talk time. My wrap window is ~3:30, but as long as it averages out nobody cares. I get two bonuses a year. The customers I speak to are very nice as they're Canadian. Seriously. The odd time someone is extremely rude to me, turns out they're American.

Second Edit: I have friends that do help desk IT for the local hospital. Pay starts at 46K and they're trying to get me in. I applied to dispatch and the construction department at my company (I've spent a lot of time volunteering in the service tech dept). However, I'll lose money going to dispatch. Sure I'll get off at 8pm, but angry contractors will yell at me over the phone, and I'll be working five days a week on a rotating schedule. No thanks.

Third Edit: It's so slow at nights, sometimes there's 30mins between calls.

Sigh. Life wasn't supposed to work out like this...

I'm 99.9% I know what company you work for and if I don't you can ignore all of my advice.

They are really good about moving people around and getting you into a job that you want as long as you keep your stats up. People who complain that they didn't do that for them had lovely attitudes and acted like assholes to everyone(IE all jaded employees). Outside of that have you considered doing something through correspondence? Considering the ready time you get on overnight shifts you could probably get most of your work done overnight. You just need to know what you want to do.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

I'm 99.9% I know what company you work for and if I don't you can ignore all of my advice.

They are really good about moving people around and getting you into a job that you want as long as you keep your stats up. People who complain that they didn't do that for them had lovely attitudes and acted like assholes to everyone(IE all jaded employees). Outside of that have you considered doing something through correspondence? Considering the ready time you get on overnight shifts you could probably get most of your work done overnight. You just need to know what you want to do.

My stats are fantastic and I have a positive attitude -- I actually love my team and am constantly striving for better customer service as people are usually really nice to me over the phone.

Edit: I want to get into the construction/service dept, but I'm concerned my physical stature is an issue as it's been casually mentioned.

GiveUpNed fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 1, 2015

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

GiveUpNed posted:

I actually think I know who you are. Were you in charge of Wi-Fi training at all? My stats are fantastic and I have a positive attitude -- I actually love my team and am constantly striving for better customer service as people are usually really nice to me over the phone.

Edit: I want to get into the construction/service dept, but I'm concerned my physical stature is an issue as it's been casually mentioned.

Never did any training, I did work there for 11 months a year and a half ago now doing the 330-midnight TSR shift. I was working with my supervisor on being support and eventually a supervisor almost the whole time until another job came up for me and I left, but I had a very positive experience and I actually felt like my supervisor was actively trying to help me get ahead.

I know the usual way to get into construction is to put time in at service tech(or installer if you feel like being a contractor) and work your way up. I wouldn't worry about stature, whoever mentioned that is dumb. The max you have to lift is maybe 50 pounds. If the night supervisor is the same from when I left she's really good about getting you oppourtunities, you just have to keep bugging them to show intiative though.

GiveUpNed
Dec 25, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

I know the usual way to get into construction is to put time in at service tech(or installer if you feel like being a contractor) and work your way up. I wouldn't worry about stature, whoever mentioned that is dumb. The max you have to lift is maybe 50 pounds. If the night supervisor is the same from when I left she's really good about getting you oppourtunities, you just have to keep bugging them to show intiative though.

Yup, we're thinking of the same place. And yes, she's been great to me. She actually has been telling to keep pushing for operations as I'm very technically inclined and have an aptitude for it. Construction and service are on the same level. I'm doing a lot of volunteering in construction this month and am studying plant operations (getting the course from them). You need to know both to go to maintenance. Where did you end up going to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

GiveUpNed posted:

Yup, we're thinking of the same place. And yes, she's been great to me. She actually has been telling to keep pushing for operations as I'm very technically inclined and have an aptitude for it. Construction and service are on the same level. I'm doing a lot of volunteering in construction this month and am studying plant operations (getting the course from them). You need to know both to go to maintenance. Where did you end up going to?

Operations isn't a bad place to be, its definitely a lot easier working through support tickets and monitoring the network then it is answering calls. Unless they really do something to gently caress you over(which does happen from time to time there admittedly) just keep a positive attitude, maybe do a job shadow and they are willing to move you around.

For me, I went back to the Railway as a supervisor, there was a light at the end of the tunnell!