Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, they're shutting mine down too and opening up a new one in florida where it's cheaper. At least it was such a massive layoff they were legally required to give us advance notice, instead of the last one they did where people found out that they were losing their job the day of. I stayed at this place longer than I meant to, anyway.

When I got laid off we found out by a radio report before the start of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

ZeroDays posted:

Not everyone's that lucky, unfortunately. Must suck turning up only to be sent home.

We had people who had been there for 12 years, just closing the doors would get all there assets seized in the US and Canada. We found out about our layoff that was 3 months down the line that day.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

AgentSythe posted:

Do you work for an ISP or something? All of the companies I worked for had pretty strict system requirements so these tech Wunderkinds that just knew everything wouldn't set up our unwary customers with hacked together setups like that.

We had one poor woman, who I believe was the practice manager (I was a developer for a veterinary practice management company) who called in constantly about "the system locking up" but couldn't really give us much beyond that. The techs couldn't figure it out so it made its way to me. Their "IT professional" was of some relation to one of the employees and about halfway through an MIS degree so he thought he was pretty hot poo poo. Anyway, I make my way to their server and see from the various logs that the SQL pages are getting chunked and causing the service to crash. It turns out this dipshit had a Windows 2003 server VM sitting on an Ubuntu box. SQLSERVER DOES NOT LIKE RUNNING ON VMs AND WHY ARE YOU USING UBUNTU FOR ENTERPRISE SOFTWARE ARRRGGHHHHHHHHH.

My point is, if any of you are in a call center and in a position where you have to work with freelance IT professionals, kill yourself. It'll save you time in the long run.

I remember the last time I worked in tech support that anyone that called in with Linux pretty much ended the call. No call centre is ever going to support Linux.

The only thing that someone that uses Linux should be asking is if there is a network outage. Which is understandable.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

you ate my cat posted:

My center is hiring a number of supervisors, totalling about 6 slots. Apparently people think I'm on the track, because other supervisors keep asking me if I've applied, when I'm applying, blah blah. I keep having to find new ways to not say "I can't imagine a worse job than supervising call center agents" :(

being a call centre agent is the answer to that.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I have no idea about now, but Zappos use to be a great place to work even in the call centre. Everyone in the company, including the CEO spent two weeks a year working in it. So management really knew what it was like.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

constantIllusion posted:

My call center just received orders from the client that state our commissions are now based on how high customers rate each rep on surveys. Our entire worth as employees is based on how well customers like us. Even though I've gotten surveys saying poo poo like "oh, constantIllusion was wonderful but I'm giving her a zero because I hate your company and think your service is too expensive!" :smithicide:

basically just start giving the customer whatever they want. All the credits they want, free shipping, sure. Give them anything to get good results no matter what.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

cuntvalet posted:

Hey, a call center playing potential mind games...surprise surprise.

Got a notice of a meeting with HR to discuss "recent call quality". I haven't been doing much differently but have been getting lovely feedback surveys lately.

So I replied to my team lead and asked what it was in regards to because my recent quality audits have been anywhere between 79% and 100% so I wasn't really aware I was doing anything wrong. The response was "it is in regards to recent calls that were monitored."

Great.

So the meeting was set up for 10:30 am tomorrow. I asked if we could push it earlier (like today) because I tend to stress and get anxious and would rather take the coaching/info and use it to improve.

Well, the meeting got moved. To 3:30 pm tomorrow. Which since my shift ends at 5, I'm worried I'm getting fired or something.

Also instead of just getting it out of the way today I have to worry about it all night and all day tomorrow.

So much for enjoying my gym date with my boyfriend tonight. :smith:

Either termination or last chance. Just remember you live in Canada where you will get EI no matter what especially if you are terminated based on on client. If so demand to work for another client at which point it becomes a layoff if they can't provide it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

cuntvalet posted:

That's kinda my plan for worst case scenario.

As for Employment Insurance, I was doing some emergency reading (just in case) and apparently, Service Canada can refuse providing Employment Insurance benefits if the applicant has been fired/terminated.

I guess I'll have to worry about it if/when this comes about.

Edit/Update: so meeting happened, it was about metric outliers and crap like that. Basically like a lot of you guys said, a final warning.

I'm not being terminated, according to the HR manager, however, I will be subject to some sort of disciplinary action that will be deliberated about and made aware to me tomorrow or the next day.

Which is still sucky but...eh. I'm probably going to lose my potential to earn bonuses for the next 6 months or so, which is fine. I asked what other disciplinary actions I may see and was told it could not be divulged in that meeting.

So I guess my only question is, what other disciplinary actions could I see? What disciplinary actions have people experienced in call centers before? Should I expect this to effect my shifts/scheduling? :ohdear:

Service Canada will almost never (and I really mean never) refuse EI for being fired/terminated from a call centre. This is one of the rare times you go and apply for it in person as they will process it so you get it.

A little fun fact is most people that work for Service Canada have worked in call centre's and hate them all.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

newtestleper posted:

These ones at least are good practice. Even tradies appreciate the common courtesy of the use of their name. It will help, not hinder, building rapport with your callers.

The typing one sounds batshit though.

It's not good practice at all, you have been brainwashed into thinking it is.

Having to say someone's name 3 times isn't common courtesy it always sounds forced. Normal human's don't talk that way to each other which is why scripting is stupid.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

cuntvalet posted:

Well like my TL said the screen capture doesn't show me releasing. I don't get where their suspicion lies.

Also: Got my pay slip after this episode and got a small bonus. This seems to be the pattern...lovely treatment then a bonus or gift card for winning something. Then something bad. Then something nice. What is this even?!

You live in Canada, start hammering the gently caress out of them or ask for stress leave from your doctor.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

cuntvalet posted:

I've considered stress leave to use the time to breathe and look for another job, I've tried looking up about stress leave but couldn't find much and what I saw suggested to get stress leave you have to see your doctor multiple times about stress related stuff first (or that's how I interpreted it...).

Is that true? Has anybody done the whole stress leave/leave of absence thing before? Better yet is there a thread in the ask/tell or careers/finance area that would cover something like how to get stress leave?

This going to sound dirty, but someone there will know a doctor that will write a stress note for you. Much like someone in the call center knows where to get the best happy pills

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
What our SAP does depends on how much your company has been willing to pay for. Enjoy all the random crap that SAP does that a normal updated piece of software wouldn't "what do you mean you want to use a mouse"

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

You can't make it very long without doing this, can you?

Bad idea IMO.

She live in Canada, the world where the government gives a gently caress about works.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

So after three weeks of sitting on my rear end doing literally no work, the company got fed up with our IT desk going unutilized, so we have a new temporary project for the next 2-3 weeks.

Instead of doing corporate IT, starting Monday I get to take customer calls for a product recall. :suicide:

This is not something our company normally does but they are doing a favor for one of our biggest contracts so we just get to deal with it.

This would be fun if only because you shouldn't have to follow a script or anything. Go nuts.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I put in my 2 weeks notice on Monday, and it's kinda awesome.

Too bad there's a client visit between now and the end, though.

Show up in a g-string and fishnets, say nothing about it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

SiGmA_X posted:

This is the problem where I was last. 37k a year for CSR1's, and 2/3+ of the CSR's had bachelors degrees from reputable colleges!! I'd go so far as to say more CSR's vs supes had degrees %wise. And those CSR's all hated it and knew they were losing career opportunities with their degrees, but couldn't turn down the money... Especially in Oregon's economy.

That's a case where you have to do outside things to keep up your skills/hid call centre on resume. I did a poo poo ton of volunteer work when I worked at a call centre.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Breetai posted:

Government department managing payments to social support recipients, with responsibilities that can affect/potentially cancel customer payments. Increased pay reflects that, I guess.

Basically it's down to that fact that there are no long-term projects or things that take more than one transaction to complete; once I've assisted a customer that's it, my part is done, and there's literally nothing more that I can do once the call is over. I work hard, and have received commendations for doing so, but at 5:00 on the dot I just walk out the front door and instead of worrying about planning the next day, or an upcoming meeting, or a piece of work that needs to be completed before a looming deadline, I can do whatever I want. Sure, I've found myself using the phrase 'bear with me' a little more than before I got the job, but I no longer work hours of unpaid overtime for a sociopath who gleefully brags about instances that he's made employees cry (during team meetings, in front of said employees) anymore. So there's that.

you can always do your year and go to a different government department which is what people do here now.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Dick Holden posted:

Next week I will start training for a call centre job where I'll be answering inbound calls concerning payroll for employees of some large corporation or another. I've had a job in a call centre before, taking calls for customer support concerning cell phones. That job was pretty awful (except for interrupting Paris Hiltons cell service once a week), as I'm sure I don't need to tell you fine people. I'm just curious if anyone here has dealt with corporate employees rather than straight up public customers, what I should beware of, if it's more or less difficult than the standard CSR job, the basic low-down. Any information would be super helpful!

If you are working directly for the company where you are taking the calls from everyone will be super nice, because you are a employee too. Shockingly people aren't assholes to people that work with them.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Verizon call center week 1 update:

Plus column:
1) Fully staffed cafeteria that is fully stocked.
Gym with fully staffed trainers who also offer nutrition advice. 15 minute break? Let them know before hand, they will have whatever you need ready and will maximize your time. Verizon realizes healthy employees = happy, productive employees.
Game area with a foosball table/basketball hoop scoring game (keeps count of how many shots you made) etc
Half off phone bill, 35% off accessories, faster upgrades
Extra new models of phones to carry around and take home (so you can get a good feel for them)
A masseuse comes in regularly
Hired dry cleaners you can just drop your stuff off and they will have it back the next day, etc etc.
They really push that you can get promoted after 3 months on the floor and you are rewarded based on your results/effort. It is not a "who you know" type deal because everyone knows everyone. On my first day the director (the boss of the whole call center) stopped me in the hall and talked to me. This is very common apparently.
Several branches of growth in the call center alone. Everyone starts at customer service, then you can branch out almost anywhere: IT, HR, Training, etc etc. They pay for moving if it comes to that.
7 weeks of training. Thats right, 7 loving weeks. My last job was a week of training and then they threw you into the deep end. After that it is transition for more weeks. Thats like training wheels.
No time metrics. 1 call resolution/Happy customer > a series of 3 minute calls. From what I have seen though they want to keep it under 9 (thats from what I have observed, no one has said anything). Still, 9 minutes? Holy poo poo thats an eternity.
The vacation time, overtime bidding, sick time, etc etc seems really flexible and seems to have a lot of options. They seem to want to work with you and make it work since they acknowledge they are investing a lot of money in training you.
Unless you are in management, no "dress up" days. Shorts? Fine. Sweatpants? Fine. Open toed shoes? Fine.
The general vibe I get is they refuse to cut corners if they have a choice in investing in employees. It isn't going to be like working for google but my last job seems like a loving dungeon so far.
Every place I have ever worked offers tuition assistance. This is the first place that actually has an area you can go to DEDICATED to school. They also have a partnership with a distance learning college and have instructors stop by to help. Yep you read that right.

Bad column:
It IS a call center.
No more vacation time than other jobs. Same accrual rate.
I have only been here a week. I don't know why people leave. When researching the job I read about people being stressed out. So I am kind of waiting and expecting things to go bad. However, I think my last place was just so bad that this job might actually be the dream call center job in comparison.

After I got home yesterday I did a bunch of searches and the fact that they actually rank in a "top place to work" let alone high in a lot of them, and higher than any other place in the telecom/customer service industry I think I might have sold this place short. I am being overly optimistic though because I really want this job to work.

People leave because clients are assholes.

Shockingly working direct for a company and not an outsources is a pretty good deal.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

blackmet posted:

I'm so glad I'm not a core customer service rep right now...

Shift bids are coming for them. Rumor is everyone is getting pushed to a 4 day week. Which is nice, sometimes, but can be a bear if you have kids in daycare and stuff.

Also, the number of hours each shift is won't be consistent. You'll get 40 hours, but it might be 3 12 hour days and a 4 hour one. Or 11 one day, 9 the next, 12 the next, and then an 8. People hate that. And are updating their resumes.

Mine has decided to do a shift bid EVERY quarter. You get 4 options: 7-3:30, 7:30-4, 8-4:30, or 8:30-5. All Monday-Friday.

90% of people wanted the 7-3:30, so the manager is going to try to rotate who gets that each quarter. I get wanting to keep everyone happy, but it's not like anyone has particularily awful hours in this department. I got the 8:30-5, which wasn't my first choice, but still works OK for public transport and such. I just don't see the need to do a mega shuffle every three months because Johnny is whining about having to do a 7:30-4 rather than a 7-3:30 because his 5 mile drive might take an extra 10 minutes. It's not like we're making you work until midnight. Suck it up! Most people here have crazy hours. It's the nature of the beast. Be happy you're not in the core customer service lines and getting some nutso 11AM to 9:30 PM shift that includes weekends.

So people are bitching that they have to work regular office hours, the horror.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Esroc posted:

At mine the "supervisors" only job was to monitor a row of 10-12 people. It was the most coveted position because you were paid 33k a year to basically be "Lord of Cubicle Row Four". All they did all day was listen in on calls, go over the stats of their assigned employees, and dish out the punishment when one of us stepped out of line.

I've never understood why call centres need that kind of supervision, I've seen my boss in person once in the past 5 months for my review and about 90% of that time was shooting the poo poo and gossiping about the stupid poo poo people here do.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Tigntink posted:

Has anyone ever worked in an internal employee call center for a major luxury retailer? I currently work as internal IT support for a government agency and I put out some feelers for a new job and i've been pounced on pretty hard. They seem to be courting me pretty aggressively and even offering me more money as I hm and haw.

Is this normal? Is this a good sign? Will I regret my life if I go with them?

*why i'm leaving the government - I have ZERO job progression and have been stagnant for 3 years. Despite amazing healthcare and retirement... I kind of want to kill myself every day. *

an internal call centre is insanely different from anything in this thread. It will be more like your government job.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

martyrdumb posted:

Anyone here ever worked for Sitel, or know someone who has? Looks like they offer work-from-home in my state, and also have a call center in the town I'm moving to. Just wondering how terrible it is compared to other places.

Yes, don't do it unless you really have too.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Fil5000 posted:

There's nothing in it for them in giving you a straight answer at all in this case - if they're honest with you then you gently caress off earlier than they were planning for and that last bit of revenue they were going to squeeze from you goes down the pan. Plus they probably still have some hope they can salvage some part of some contract somewhere that they'll need staff for.

Given that cuntvalet does work in Canada they have to give her tons of notice. If it gets to closing time they are just hoping to get enough people to quit on their own so they aren't on the hook for EI costs.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Loving Life Partner posted:

How hard did I try to escape call center work? I separated with my wife. Haha.

I mean, the separation was unrelated (relationship had run its course), but I told her all of that, she was kind of in agreement, we decided to take a break from each other and see what happens in the spring. I resigned from my call center job, packed my car, and drove home to Philly.

I started looking for new work, and there wasn't really anything, also everything here was starting at $2.50 to $3.00 less per hour than my last job.

So after about a week of searching, the HR dept from my last job calls me, and they're like, "well did you like working here?" and I kinda did, it wasn't terrible, 50 calls a day max, good pay/benefits, easy going. And they're like "Would you like to work from home?"

So yeah, they just overnighted me a headset and phone and I just did my first shift today. It was... fairly glorious. Sitting on the couch doing call center work, my music light in the background, Netflix on for awhile on the TV. Kinda really the way to go if you have to do this job. 6PM rolled around, I just closed the window and took off my headset, home!

This is where I'm at for awhile. Going to think about where I want to go and do, i'm sure school is involved in some way, but this makes everything ten times easier, at least to get established.

The clear answer is to get a PS4 or an Xbone and have a good time on calls.

Plus learn to jerk it while talking to people

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

I'm getting paid time and a half right now to sit on my couch and take one call every 20 minutes. I think I finally found the call center job that doesn't suck you guys.

What call centre is this, as I could do that part time and get caught up on my videogaming.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

modeski posted:

Other times he would just be brutally honest. "Well sir, they told us to tell you that the policy is underwritten by Nat West, but we can't find anything proving that, and no-one we call at NatWest has any idea who we are." The way the QAs worked, he would be well and truly gone by the time the calls came up for review.

Sadly if you could do this in a call centre is would make everyone on earth happier. Everyone get's real answers to their questions and employees don't want to kill themselves.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Der-Wreck posted:

Oh man, I gotta vent. I work for a background screening company and I worked in the applicant care department for the longest time. Had to deal with frustrated US applicants who lost out on a job because some criminal record that is not even theirs showed up on their background check and their recruiter told them it was our fault that they didn't get hired. Try telling someone who just lost a job that it wasn't us but their recruiter. They just don't understand. I managed to get out of the call center department and into a client care department which is primarily e-mails and a few phone calls. The department was Canadian-specific but because the company is going through a migration effort and moving all client care to the states. It's been completely hosed up the whole time and we have burned through so many Canadian clients because of this. Unfortunately for me, because I was previously in Applicant Care, they're dragging me back in and there's nothing I can do. After a year of a cushy job, I'm getting dragged back to hell. This stinks... Best I can do now is just keep applying for jobs and get the hell out of here but it's good to see that there are others going through this sorta call center hell too. Just gonna do the bare minimum and not give a flying gently caress.

I would guess the real reason you have burned through so many Canadian clients is because new privacy laws basic it pretty much impossible to due background checks here.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Blue_monday posted:

What blows my mind is third party centres do not have near the latitudes first party does. If I ever do anything with telecom in Canada I'm gonna make drat sure I'm talking to someone in a corporate call centre.

All I know is the Corporate call centre near my office for the Canadian company starting with an R plays beach vollyball every Friday during the summer, so it's a good day.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
At least you don't all work here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNdkUYc_MTM

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
At 80 do you really care anymore?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The last call centre I worked for it closed in Canada now but is currently being sued for not paying bonuses that they received from the client to the phone jockeys.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Volmarias posted:

That's the kind of attitude that's going to drive companies out of business, as you scoff a changing market straight into irrelevance. Unless your website has a really good reason to require a full desktop (hint: it doesn't), you really need to be able to at least limp along on mobile even if its not a great experience. Being unusable only means that you're going to fail to capture a new customer segment that's going to go somewhere that they can actually look at with their "toy" (read: only computer they can realistically afford or want).

:ssj:

Someone has clearly never worked in a corporate environment. Unless Microsoft really makes Continuum work there will always exist a business world and a personal world. I could never do my business stuff on a phone, SAP would crush one.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

cumshitter posted:

That reminds me, I was at a job I ended up absolutely hating and was desperate to get out. I made the mistake of putting my resume up on Monster and the only non-insurance response I got was from McMaster-Carr to be one of their sales reps (just a call center job in reality). They caught me on the drive to work so I scheduled a call back later that day. Before calling them I did a little research on Glassdoor. Usually it's not that helpful and there are barely any reviews. McMaster-Carr had 400+ reviews, nearly all of them negative and the closest they came to positive was still middling.

To give you an idea of how bad this company you've likely never heard of is, Rite-Aid has 1.8K reviews and Ford Motor Company has 1.5K. A quick rundown of the major complaints:

-90+ page handbook for writing emails to customers.
-Weekly performance evaluations in which you could get written up for making a typo in an email.
-Constant management turnover.
-All managers were recent college grads with no work experience, no promotion from within
-General feeling of suicidal depression in the office

This led to the following conversation:

"I saw your Glassdoor page and I was a bit worried by the reviews, which were largely negative."

"Well, those tend to be written by unhappy employees."

"Yeah, but I've never seen 40 plus pages of bad reviews on any company I've ever looked at."

(Angry silence)

"Is it true your handbook for writing emails is over 90 pages long?"

"It is comprehensive."

"I'm looking to get out of my current position, but I'm just not interested in what you're offering. Thanks for your consideration."

McMaster-Carr is a weird company. They do everything maybe the dumbest way a company can but they are still one of the better supply companies you can work with.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Only for a short time, my chick and I are gunna get married once we clear up some stuff, but hey Canada says I'm allowed to visit for up to 6 months.

The fact you have a job means that we will let you emigrate pretty easily.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Glad I remembered this thread existed.

I started with my current employer, a Canadian ISP, as a Account Payable Clerk right out of university 4 years ago. I had depression and anxiety so I was happy for any job after screwing up my interviews with the big 4 accounting firms that came to my university looking for prospects. 6 months into my employment, the CEO was replaced and they begin to shift my department around. They centralized the Finance department and everyone at my location lost their positions. Many jumped ship because the roles they offered were terrible. It was going from accounting to going on the phones taking billing call. I was desperate for money as I got out of school and going back home was not a option.

I started as a billing rep but it wasn't that bad. I keep my hourly rate and I excelled at the role. Then I got offered to do tech support since the company did not have enough people to fill the role due to high turnover from a change in the account management system we used. I signed on because I was a sucker for more money and it was a easy job. Someone in management found out I worked for a web hosting company so I got into doing domain management which cut a lot of time on the phone. It wasn't a bad gig. Then my depression hit a really bad spot. I started to get help and then I saw that my current role was stagnant and that management was turning our contact center into another call center. We were on troubleshooting scripts and losing points on QA for not being peppy enough. Management threw more and more responsibility on senior reps and there was no increase in pay to compensate. I have to take calls for billing, account retention, all our technical platforms at a level 1 and level 2 role, and all our acquisitions and legacy platforms. I get paid the same wage as the person who comes off the street with only training on our newer internet services at Tier 1. They feel time off the phones does not warren a pay increase regardless of the fact they keep piling more and more on us.

Then when I tried to move away from my role, things started to turn rotten. I kept being turned down for positions within the company during the selection stage over and over again. My project time kept getting reduced or cancelled due to increasing call volume. Turnover rates are getting higher every few months and we keep training new billing and technical support classes every month now. My TM and my Project Manager are consistently trying to fight for me to get more time, but now i am limited to 2 hours a day. They let me train someone else help with my domains management but the only reason he was picked was due to him threatening to quit if he wasn't given anything else to do other than answer phone calls. He's pretty much useless but it is all the help I can get.

I currently am waiting to see if I got a new job at another company on Monday that is not call center-related. I really don't want to be in this industry anymore as 6 years is too long for this poo poo.

Can I guess what shitshow of a reseller this is based on the person I know still running it's call centre operations.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I rather not say anything unless I get the new job. My company is paranoid about what it is said about them by employees.

Edit: I just got the job offer! Only 2 weeks left!

Then it's for sure the company I think it is.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Well my call center officially got weird since I gave them my resignation. My Team Manager and Project Manager were happy to see me get a position in my field and have been superstars trying to help me get my project handed off. Others have been kinda dick-ish. Most of my co-workers are slowly finding out and some are congratulating me for getting out of the call center industry. Some are being really petty and are not talking to me because I will not be part of the company in the near future.

The worst treatment is from upper management. They are panicking because they did not except me to leave nor did they think that I was going to leave before December when our web hosting migration was going to take place. They feel like people in projects have a sense of fealty with the company for all the things they are doing for them as it results in time not taking phone calls. HR originally offered me 50 cents a hour more for the same job, which I declined. They then wanted me to show them a copy of my offer which I also declined and asked them to respect my privacy in the fact that I am going to a position that in my field that uses my university education in business administration HR then got me to fill out a exit interview, which I took my time doing because it was the end of the day and I didn't want to go on the phones when we were having another outage.

Then I got called into a meeting by the Vice President of Customer Care yesterday. It was the most awkward 30 minutes of my working life. I was greeted by the VP like I was her friend and she was giving me coffee and protein bars the whole time. She gave me a speech about how Xplornet values employees like family and wanted to make sure I would stay in this family to make it better. She then offered me a dollar raise and as much time off the phones as I wanted with more project work. I asked if the work was going to be related to my field of study and be useful for the career goals I was trying to pursuit. She couldn't give me a straight answer but she told me that I am too important in my tech skills to be given full time positions off the phone. I now know that they have no interest to retaining me for any other role than Front Line Tech Support.

If anything, the meetings pretty much confirmed my decision to leave as being right. I am having my first long weekend in 3 years and I am enjoying the gently caress out of it until Tuesday when the last week countdown begins.

So your HR department violated Canadian law, good job idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Holyshoot posted:

Threaten legal action maybe?

Depending on where you live they have a limited amount of time to pay that out, the legal action works.