Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

froglet posted:

On Friday I got the most amazing customer:

:j: Tech support, froglet speaking, how can I help you today?
:byodame: Uh hi, I have a problem with my voip...
:j: *goes through standard troubleshooting*
:byodame: This is taking too long, can I talk to one of the guys?
:j: Uh... had you previously been speaking to one of my coworkers? Do you know his name?
:byodame: No offense or anything, but I'd rather talk to a guy.
:j: Sure, all the guys are on calls now, but I can make a note and one of them will call you back when he's available.

I like to think I was considerably restrained when she came out with her gender-bias crap. Apparently because I'm female I'm incapable of helping her with her. v:v:v

Wow, another woman threw you under the bus? I thought you all were supposed to stick together, girl power and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

That doesn't sound racist. He probably just had difficulty with that guy's accent. I'm terrible with other people's accents sometimes but I'm pretty sure I'm not racist.

I have to toss my hat in with this guy, I wouldn't say that man in the story is being a racist. Maybe the details were lost in translation...

On a side note, I'm really beginning to burn out. I've took 5,700 calls since the start of 2010, which is 25% more than the average rep here. I think I'm doing too good of a job, perhaps its time to throw it on cruise-control.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 12, 2010

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

sbaldrick posted:

Also gently caress you to the crazy old man who kept me on the phone an hour and a half after my shift because their was no way for me to fix the manufactures OS and hardware for you. I called them, it can't be done (was not an iphone)

Fuuuuuuuuck that. If I'm here even 1 minutes after my shift, I go into a silent rage.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 17, 2010

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mr Plow posted:

Is call center work as bad as you are all making it out to be, or does it just seem that way because this is the rant thread? I was thinking of getting a job in a call center with Shaw Cable but you are making me think twice. I've got some questions, I don't know how many you can answer with any accuracy but it would help me nonetheless if someone would take a stab at any of them:

Would you recommend against working in a call center? Do I have a fair chance of making $14 an hour? $16? How boring does it get? How rampant is the abuse from customers? From supervisors? How stressful in genenral is the job? Do you get much down time between calls? How casual/enjoyable does the atmosphere tend to be? Do your fellow employees tend to be cool or insufferable? How exhausting is the job?

I can only speak for me here, working as tier 1 support for internet/VoIP for a nationwide cable company.

Call-center work sucks, no way around it. However, it does pay the bills and it beats living out of a car. Saying that, I'll try and answer your questions.

Would you recommend against working in a call center? Yes, if you have other options that pay the same.
Do I have a fair chance of making $14 an hour? $16? As level one support for an ISP, no.
How boring does it get? Very but my employers are lenient with internet access so I can surf the web (I'm talking to a customer right now!)
How rampant is the abuse from customers? Pretty drat rampant. Every now and then I get a nice customer but the vast majority are angry, bitter and extremely stupid people. Very, very stupid.
How stressful in genenral is the job? I wouldn't say the job is stressful, its just demoralizing. You pretty much just have to sit there and soak up all the hate and stupidity that people give you. I leave work at work so its not too bad but I still find myself dreading having to go in to work everyday.
Do you get much down time between calls? Depends on the day, lately we've been balls deep in calls. Typically I take between 60-70 calls in an 8 hour day. Some days I take 30.
How casual/enjoyable does the atmosphere tend to be? Pretty casual.
Do your fellow employees tend to be cool or insufferable? For the most part, my coworkers are pretty cool. We have something in common, which is our hate for the customer. Its like a binding force that brings us together. We few, we miserable few, we band of brothers.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Aerofallosov posted:

Well, I put in my two weeks' notice. The supervisor's been pretty awful to me ever since. But oh well. I suddenly am filled with glee that I won't have to listen to someone lie to me about why they can't be assed to print their own receipt, so this is all somehow my fault.

I'm soooo jealous. I can't wait for the day I turn in my notice. I dream about it sometimes while I'm getting yelled at.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Harminoff posted:

You work for a sex line or something? Usually most companies want a low handle time as it allows more customers to be talked to.

poo poo, I've been pulled aside several times for too low of a handle time, and I work tier support for an ISP. Their reasoning is that "You can't take care of the customer in 4 minutes." The poo poo is not rocket science, I don't need 8 minutes to determine if the computer is hosed or if its a modem/signal issue.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Aerofallosov posted:

Well, I worked my last day today. Wasn't too bad. My manager was surprisingly cool and distant. They should be getting in touch for my exit interview eventually. I feel strange knowing I won't go in anymore. I think my brain got settled into 'work in, work out, sleep' mode. Bwah.

Tell me about that glorious feeling that overcame you when you took your last call. I want to go to there.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Spooky Chris posted:

I've been working for over a year at a call center that's a little over a year old.

Tell me, does the mandatory overtime ever stop? I don't know how much longer I can do this, I miss my family and friends :(

Do you work for a certain nationwide ISP? They seem to be handing out mandatory OT like its going out of style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I have just left the clutches of call-center employment. Tonight will be the most peaceful sleep I've had in two years.