Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Harminoff posted:

Well I just emailed the Labor Standards Bureau. Hopefully you are right.

Hot drat, finally some action.

:munch:

Please let this turn into an A/T about "how I got the labor board to pimp slap my employer."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Ghost Who Walks posted:

Supposed to go back tomorrow and I feel like throwing-up whenever I allow myself to think about it too much.

Cold calling will do that to you. On the other hand, "How bad is your Internet connection ?" is about as good an opening line as you can have for cold calls. Really. Go find a website full of bad ISP jokes or something, that'll both give you an immediate laugh, which you need, and it'll build up your stock of stuff to talk to people about.

You should be able to get it down to a mild loathing with occasional hives.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Null Set posted:

Take the paycheck, keep looking for a job.

On another note, I work as a software engineer for a company that makes call center and automatic/predictive dialer software. I also have to take support calls from your managers. They do dumb things and then call shouting "WHY NO WORK". Good times.

Call center managers, jesus gently caress. I got off the phones because they needed another IT person. Then I got to do the other kind of account management for them. The password reset fee ended up at $20 and the default password I reset it to was "bonehead". I got at least $100 from one guy alone. The owner despised most of the staff, so nobody was likely to complain.

Then there were the reports. I did a reporting application in Filemaker that sent emailed the leads to the client. It had two buttons; Run Report and Email Leads. People had trouble with this. It was literally a big green button and a big green button marked "1....." and "2...: And people with college degrees couldn't cope. Once, while one client was on a plane heading for a big internal sales conference I hear this:

:downs: We've been forgetting to press the Email Leads button and our client has to have all of those leads in his email before he lands in three hours.
:v: How many leads are there ?
:downs: About 1100
:v: :doh:

It took half an hour to repurpose the beefiest machine in the shop not already serving a production database. By the time the client land he didn't have all of them, but a few hundred emails were waiting for him and more coming in quickly.

loving idiots. "We forgot to send the client what he's paying for HURRR". The clients weren't the leading lights of their organizations either. One European ERP vendor had the bright idea of having one toll-free number that works from anywhere in the world. Literally any country with tin cans, strings and dial tone. I miss my old AT&T rep, she took the time to do a presentation on , "why this is impossible and will remain so for at least a decade." They're out of business, their shell having been sold three times. I like to think a bunch of greedy, dishonest, incompetent salespeople and a bunch of actively evil, incompetent call center managers were a match made in heaven.

The call center company has folded and been acquired to. I'm outliving my old nemeses and it feels good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Null Set posted:

ahahahaha how could anyone with any experience in telecom think this, TFNs are already the biggest beancounter slapfight without throwing in international dialing

It rapidly became obvious that she'd already told her bosses she'd get it done and promised to meet a deadline. There were hints that a big print job was just waiting for the number to be put in.

edit: she actually didn't have any experience in telecom. She didn't want to listen to those who did either. Come to think of it, she didn't have any experience in anything really.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 2, 2011

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

That poo poo makes me angry. People that have literally no clue who think that sufficient "blue sky thinking" can overcome real technological restrictions on what is possible.

She didn't yell. I'm happy.

Call center life really does hammer your expectation right into the loving ground, doesn't it ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I just tell the survey people, "I don't do surveys with a company that doesn't disclose its full CallerID information."

Needless to say, i don't do a lot of surveys.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

cuntvalet posted:

I sure do, and since it says nowhere on my letter of job offer which project they want me on, and THREE people told me satellite tv where only one told me cell phones, I'm inclined to believe the three people (two of which were tech interviewers from the company).

I hope it stays like that, because it would be mostly easier work for equal amounts of pay bahahaha.

When you actually start be sure to find out exactly and officially who you report to, who can tell you what to do and who will be writing your review. If that ends up being more than one person, get out.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Tennis Ball posted:

You know, I'm very curious where the iron fistedness of call centers come from. It doesn't make any sense. I'm fairly certain there haven't been any studies done that show these type of policies are beneficial profit/business wise (If so, please link me, I'm very curious.). Its weird. Fast food places aren't even that tyrannical to their employees.

Based on working both phones and IT for a call center (outbound lead generation primarily), only sick people would run one, so you get evil on a day to day basis in most call centers. Also note that nobody who advocates reading the scripts verbatim has made/taken so much as one call in their lives.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

cuntvalet posted:

Why don't we give an IQ test before providing people with cellular service?!

Nobody in a decision-making position at a cellular company is qualified to review and approve such a test.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

you ate my cat posted:

Other options include the Executive Email Carpet Bomb, finding and calling the corporate office, complaining about the situation on Facebook or Twitter, calling local newspapers until you find one that runs consumer issues stories, or small claims court.

All that said, the possibility of you getting an actual refund is very slim. Companies don't like writing checks to people, it's a colossal pain in the rear end to do. The only times I've seen actual checks written to customers were either small-scale damage claims or small claims court settlements. I've given some people some very large amounts of credit, including one guy who got like $800, but that all went against the bill and he just didn't have to pay for a while. If that's feasible for you, you may have better luck not insisting on a direct refund.

Take it to Twitter. Be sure and include any ticket or reference number you may have; if you don't have, get one."@example.com You overcharged me, I want a refund for my $360. See reference # ############. You're still likely to only get a credit, but at least you won't have to pay your bill for a few months. If you can reasonably switch services, retention might be able to get a check cut. And if you do switch, credit won't help so you should be able to get a check without taking it to small claims. If it DOES go to small claims, literally any reasonable expense related to the collection

I've had to resort to Twitter to get callbacks on week-old tickets with an ISP. it should work splendidly in a refund situation.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

detectivemonkey posted:

It's worth trying again and getting up the ladder as far as you can go, but I'd take the $80 credit. I had a similar thing happen with a my wireless provider. They had hosed up the activation and I hadn't analyzed my bills closely enough and realized about a year later that they had been overcharging me. I ended up with a pretty hefty credit because it was blatantly their fault, but it didn't actually cover the whole amount because I had to take some responsibility for the situation -- I should have noticed that in the first month.

Hah. Once upon a time we had AT&T install a new analog one for a fax machine. Only they didn't. My PFY and I lost track of it because a tech came out and did stuff, plus we weren't expecting it to ever get used. Turns out the tech didn't actually do anything. A year later we finally noticed that the fax line wasn't getting dial tone. After some awkward (on their part) troubleshooting calls we figured out that the line wasn't connected. And that they'd ported the number to Verizon. And forgot to tell Billing. Six months later, after a LOT of phone calls, and an escalation after they decided we didn't have a refund coming, we still hadn't gotten the check.

No company wants to cut a check, but gently caress AT&T especially.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Gothmog1065 posted:

After a certain period of time, it's your fault.

With a number port out, if the number is inactive, and another company takes that number (Or if it's a "ghost" number, IE Verizon owned it first, you stop using it and Verizon takes it back to their pool), you can't get the number back.

Well that is true. But porting the number to another carrier should absolutely remove it from the billing database.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

Why is this a big deal? As a customer I'd always prefer dead air to being on hold, and honestly it isn't that hard to chew the dead air.

Silence is almost always better than the hold music. I've begged vendor support people not to use the Hold button if their music was bad. Come to think of it, Apple had good songs at a really, really crappy quality. That was actually worse than bad music because it ruined what could have been good. I have yet to find a VOIP system that allowed a reasonable bitrate for the hold music; Shoretel I'm looking in your direction.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Why the gently caress does the customer know your co-worker's last name?

That's just going to give the police somewhere to start with after you deal with the customer "appropriately".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

less than three posted:

I'd take call centre over retail any day.

At least you don't need good shoes for call center work. But they both suck in many ways, some of them overlapping.

Speaking of hiring (some of them were call center jobs, since SIP started in mid-March we've on-boarded 700 people remotely.