Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

ZeroDays posted:

I don't know what bank you work in, or even what country, but in my (UK) experience, you would definitely NOT be able to listen to music at any time, i-Pod, radio or anything, or be allowed to visit websites outside the bank's intranet. I guess what I'm saying is that wherever you work, you don't actually have it that bad.

Out of curiousity, how does listening to an i-Pod work when taking calls?

Most people that I've seen do that have an earbud in the left and the headset on the right, or vice versa. They keep the volume low enough that it doesn't drown out the customer, I guess. I tried it some when I used to work from home, but I couldn't concentrate. Some people also have fancy headset boxes with an 1/8" input that they can plug a cable into. I'm really not sure what that's actually intended for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I work for a large telecom. The third call of my 12-hour shift yesterday was a widow who was simultaneously sobbing and screaming at me. Her husband died in a hotel room last Monday, on Tuesday we somehow disconnected her service, on Wednesday the tech we sent out for some reason to reconnect instead bullied her and took all her equipment. We then reactivated her with the wrong phone number, so most of her husband's family/friends were unable to call her about the funeral.

Since I'm in tech support, I can't do anything to fix it. I have zero access to any system that might come close to helping her. The disconnected account is so catastrophically broken that we can't rescue her phone number without a lengthy process, and my escalation team won't take it because it's 'a billing issue'. She refuses to let me transfer her to billing, so I got to spend almost an hour with this woman until she got tired and hung up the phone. The day went downhill from there. :(

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Ninja Bob posted:

I've known the occasional person who likes split shifts (if they live close enough to work, or it's work at home), just because it lets them pick their kids up from school and make dinner. I think it would be terrible though, the whole day would be taken up with work.

Exactly. I did split shifts working from home for a little bit, and basically you would wake up, work, and go pretty much straight to bed after eating. If you had family or something, I can see it working out great, but it was just me. I ended up with crippling depression after about 6 months and it was terrible.

On a different note, I'm at a different call center gig that pays really well, but there's no consistent schedule. My shift is relatively constant, despite a pile of required overtime every week, but my days on/off change every week. It drives me crazy and I loving hate it. The issue is that our union agreement states they can only make us work 26 'undesirable days' (basically weekends) a year, so we're all on an alternating weekend shift. The worst part is that this kind of work makes you hate life so much that you don't have the interest or energy to look for another job sometimes.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Woodsy Owl posted:

AT my place, the 'floor-walkers' are really the puppets of workforce management. Apparently the center only gets paid for the first 12m30s of a phone call, so in an effort to maximize profits, the floor-walkers get walky-talkied by WFM and they come and nag you about why the call is taking so long...

I'm not sure how long I can take FiOS Tech Support...

Are you at a core center or a contract center? "Only gets paid for the first 12m30s" makes me think you're at a contractor. I'm at one of the larger core centers, and they've started riding us like crazy about handle time this week. Sending people around 12 minutes into the 14:30 handle time, twice-a-day stats emails, the works. It's a fact of life in call center work, though. I'm even older than you, and hate the work, but I refuse to be embarrassed by it because I make more doing this than almost anything else at this point. Ride it out till next month and there will be a new focus, probably SMS compliance or some poo poo.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, I might be embarrassed about this job but I'm a college dropout making $20+/hour with full benefits in one of the shittiest states in the nation, so I could be doing a helluva lot worse.

For sure. My position caps out at ~$28, and it's union, so you get a raise every 6 months till you cap, or you have to cap within 3(?) years. Plus benefits, a ton of available overtime if that's your thing. One of the guys I work with is doing ~25 hours of week of overtime a week, and is on track to make $100k+ this year. Too bad it's call center work, so the schedule sucks, no one respects you, and you talk to idiots all day.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

To answer the questions, I do FiOS tech support. Same work that Woodsy Owl and bulbous nub do, but I work directly for the big V. There are benefits that come from working for a big union shop. The downside is that we haven't had a contract since August, when we went on strike, because the company is trying to slash a ton of the benefits because they're incredibly expensive. Make the money while you can, I guess.

Speaking of which, Woodsy and bulbous, are your centers unionized? I've always wondered that.

martyrdumb posted:

Wait, how does the company do QA if higher-ups can't review calls after the fact?

Contractually, we can't be recorded at the center I work at. They end up doing a lot of real-time call monitoring, which is honestly pretty inefficient and doesn't give us a lot of feedback about anything.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Any ever notice that no one can pronounce the word 'authentication' when they're reading it to you? I don't remember the last time someone read "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" to me without spending a couple minutes butchering it.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

If one more goddamn person asks me "Is that a capital zero, or lowercase?" I'm going to stab somebody.

Also, was it weirdo day for you guys on Sunday? My whole center got a ton of calls from people who are just off the loving wall. I had a woman in Manhattan tell me that her rural-interests channel needs to work because her daughter got into witchcraft and got arrested, and now Jesus wants me to make the channel work. I had a woman spend ~10 minutes telling me about how her cat waves its balls at her. Lady, I don't need to know that. Get off my phone.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Also I'd argue that right-to-work is pretty much irrelevant in this context because while I think there are a couple unions for call center workers they're uncommon and ineffectual anyway.

In pretty much every other case you're right, but the company I work for is CWA for all it's call center employees and it's actually an extremely strong union. They just have the benefit of having been around forever, so it's not a newly unionized shop.

The other side of that is that if contract negotiations aren't going well, it can make a lovely stressful job even more lovely and stressful :(

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I do support for a large national telecom company, and we had essentially unlimited overtime available for a while due to all the storms that were passing through the northeast. It was capped at 15 hours total work per day, 7 days a week. Several people I knew were doing 105 hour weeks, 3-4 weeks in a row. I think I would kill myself.

Now, admittedly, if you were at the pay cap for the position you were taking home ~$4300/week, but gently caress if that could make me take calls 105 hours a week. I do as little overtime as possible.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Loving Life Partner posted:

So here's a question:

I've never worked in a call center during a big national election. Just yesterday I had 2 people ask me who I was voting for, and go on tirades about Obama.

Is this likely to ramp up further as we get close to the day itself? I'm pretty open to debate with anyone about politics, but I know that's verboten when you're representing a company as a call center rep. Bleh.

It probably will. I handle political questions the same way I handle religious questions - "Sorry, I'm not able to/prefer not to discuss politics/religion at work. I appreciate your interest though. Is there anything else I can do for you today?" Usually they get the hint and we move on.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Was it customer service week everywhere? We got raffle tickets based on 'being caught displaying XYZ values', depending on what day of the week it was. What it really came down to was supervisors just coming around and giving you raffle tickets. Some guy won a cooler. Yay... :smith:

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Ugggg

I work for a large telecom, and we've declared a 'state of emergency' for tech support due to the storm in the NE. We are now on mandatory 10 hour days, 6 days a week. The 10 hour shifts on the days we were originally off only get 2 15 minute breaks or 1 half hour break. In a 10 hour day. We had at least 1600 people in queue pretty much all day today.

I'm gonna be the grumpiest SOB for the next couple of weeks, I think. I don't even care that it's going to pay well.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Make that 12 hour days, all days off canceled, through Sunday. So much hate.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

So much overtime. Everything over 8 hours is paid out double-time.

I'm supposed to be off Monday through Wednesday next week, so hopefully this state of emergency doesn't go too long.

Not only must it be legal, we're a union shop and it's in our contract. They declare a state of emergency, they get to work us as much as they need to for the duration.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Just got notice that we're going to be doing our 4th 60+ hour week next week. Hurricane Sandy has completely hosed our infrastructure and apparently our center needs all 18,000 agent hours we're scheduled for next week. Yay.... :(

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I got called this morning and told I could come in 2 hours late, and then they sent me home 2 hours after that. Best Christmas ever.

For some reason I feel like working from home would make me hate my home. Is that a valid concern? like all my PC goof off time would be tainted by the time I'm wearing that headset and talking to idiots.

I worked from home at a previous job for about 6 months, and the only room I could do it in was my bedroom. I also worked split shifts, 9:30-1:30 and 6-10. It was the worst thing. By turning my bedroom into my job, I never left work. Plus the weird hours meant I woke up, worked, took an extended break, worked, and went back to sleep. At one point I had to wander around the neighborhood looking for my car because I was so depressed that I hadn't left the house in 3 weeks.

If you have a family, and want to see them more, and can lock it all away in a spare room, it probably wouldn't be bad. Don't do what I did.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

So for the new year, they've changed our metrics. They've completely eliminated handle time! Oh, but now we have a new metric of "Customers Helped Per Hour". Which is totally not handle time, no sir. Misdirected calls don't count any more either, so uh, take more calls. Also, using our lovely 'Wizard' helper software is now 20% of your final review or something, because we paid too much for it and don't care that no one likes it.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Yup, still there. Pretty much you have to remember that you know more than it does, then you lie to it to get your desired outcome. Generally it's just a huge pain.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Calls always seem to come in waves. I spend a few weeks taking a larger-than-normal number of broken orders, then maybe it's new installs with broken poo poo, then maybe it's people who are down to their last nerve trying to get us to fix something. The worst was when I took 3 or 4 "My husband died suddenly this week and I called to get the name changed on the account, you guys hosed it up, and now I don't have phone service and the family can't get in touch with me to find out when the services are" calls in about a 2 month period. Sobbing, screaming, recently widowed women, pleading with me to fix something that is literally impossible to fix with the way our systems are set up, was just terrible.

On a different note, we got our new chunk of PTO with the new year, so I took this week off. I don't remember the last time I enjoyed life this much. I really need a new job.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Considering that I've had people start crying because their phone is broken, because they can't get to their email, because their tv is on the wrong input and they can't find the INPUT button... Crying because they have to call in about a dead loved one is understandable.

That said, I can totally get what TokenTrevor is saying. Sometimes, I'll get calls like "My husband died yesterday and I'm trying to get our account changed out of his name and OH GOD GEORGE *sobs*". drat people, that poo poo can wait. Grieve for a while first, then call us next month or something. That's the part I don't completely get. If you wait till you think you can handle it, and it turns out you can't, guess what? I don't care, it really sucks that you're going through this, go ahead and cry. I don't get why people try to take care of poo poo that can wait immediately after some kind of loss.

Is it because loss does weird things to people? I've been fortunate enough to not lose anyone that close to me, but I've seen people do weird stuff because they're just not processing things right because of what they're going through. I guess I can see that with some people, getting through all the stuff that needs to get done seems like the only way to actually DO something, instead of just sitting and grieving.

Or maybe working in a call center has beaten all normal human emotions and feelings out of us. Hell, I'd believe that even without this conversation.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Also, I just had one epic escalation. This was so great, this guy is discussing a rate increase with me civilly and his wife is in the background, pacing I assume, just blathering about "this is poo poo!" and "You tell them they're losing a customer!" and she just like, FED this guy and every time she yelled something he ratcheted up a notch, until he was yelling at me about calling our vice President, and suing the company and blah blah at the top of his voice, hahaha, it was so amazing to listen to, I was just on mute laughing.

I love the background shithead. The only thing to watch out for is when they yell enough that they convince the person you're talking with to hand them the phone, at which point it's time to hit mute, tune out, and wait till they wear themselves out.

I've started taking escalations at my job fairly recently, and it's boggling how terrible some agents are at keeping control of the call. The customer doesn't need a supervisor just because they said the word supervisor, christ. Try to de-escalate once in a while.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I tried to start saying "...and who am I speaking with today?" to change it up a bit from "...and what's your name please?" sometimes, and literally every person just said "Ok." Not one person gave me their name. LISTEN TO ME :argh:

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

My center is hiring a number of supervisors, totalling about 6 slots. Apparently people think I'm on the track, because other supervisors keep asking me if I've applied, when I'm applying, blah blah. I keep having to find new ways to not say "I can't imagine a worse job than supervising call center agents" :(

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I dunno, at least as an agent you actually accomplish a job. A supervisor in my experience literally does nothing at all. I guess the extra pay salves the wounds, but trying to put together an 8 hour day of bullshit every single day seems tough.

I'm not even sure if that's the part of it that I can't imagine. Someone in here talked about call center zombies, the 2-3 levels of management in between the directors and the front line who don't have any influence on how stuff is run but don't have any choice but to lurch through each day pretending that all the stupid crap isn't just stupid crap. That is what sounds terrible about it to me.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Well, that's that. I'm free now! Free! Oh man it feels like such a load off but I have no idea how to handle not having to log in at 9 am to give me a sense of schedule. Probably going to be sending in all my job applications between 5 pm and 3 am or something as my sleep cycle gets worse.

Trust me, keep setting an alarm and getting up--maybe not as early, but try to keep a schedule. I didn't work for a year after I quit my last call center gig, and didn't start getting my poo poo together until I stopped sleeping till 4 every day. Plus it makes it easier to get up for interviews, new jobs, etc.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I sure hope not. I'm 5 years in at two different places, and I sure as hell ain't doing this for the rest of my life if I can help it.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Do you have an exit strategy?

Mostly what I have is depression.

Edit: All right that sounded bleaker than I meant. I want to be out after my 3 year mark here next May. The problem I've had, and expect to keep having, is that a music degree and 5 years in call centers seems to leave you basically unemployable for anything more interesting than working in a call center. And no matter how many chances of advancement they promise you, basically no one gets promoted out of a call center.

you ate my cat fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 22, 2013

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I swear that no one can pronounce the word 'authentication'. I think I've posted about this before, but it's still true - "It says Outgoing server requires au...authation. authentic. au..." and so on.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

We get double time after the 9th hour of OT, so there's a big incentive for doing a lot if you're doing any at all. I work with a lot of guys who do 70hr weeks every week like they're paying off a bookie or something. I can think of a few guys who are going to clear $100k easy this year with all the OT. That poo poo's insane, I do as little as I have to and just live within the money I already make. I figure we're only a couple months away from them forcing OT again, I may as well not do it while I can.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Attention all personnel, there is a tornado headed our way. Take shelter under your desks, and remember to watch your hold time.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

bulbous nub posted:

Haha, I knew someone would recognize it. Yeah, this is the place in Columbus that nearly every 20-something has worked at or has had a friend work at. you at my cat, this is what one of the TP Vendor centers looks like if you're curious.

Oh no poo poo. Man those desks are way closer together than seems necessary or comfortable.

Aerofallosov posted:

This little old lady

A dude here has a similar story about hanging up on a customer when the elevator caught fire a few years back. The woman said the same kind of thing to him until he gave up and released the call. I can't imagine that, that would be like going to the grocery store, it being on fire, and refusing to leave until you get your cheese curls. What the gently caress is it about the phone that makes people so nasty?

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

cuntvalet posted:

I dunno how many people here are ex call center workers as opposed to present ones but from your opinions, how can you tell when a break down is coming/when stress leave is probably advisable?

I ask because since that last "meeting" I had, I've become paranoid, dreading coming into work for fear that I've done something wrong, I've dropped from being top of my team to being in the lowest ranking quartile of the my team, and I have a compulsion that I need to check my work email via web mail on my phone every night before going to bed and every morning when I get up as of there's some horrible email lurking in there that will basically mean more trouble for me... :( I feel like its wearing me down.

You are me before I quit Comcast a few years ago. In hindsight, I had completely burned out at least 6 months before, if not a year or so. You need out, quick.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

For me, it was when I fantasized about driving into the median on my way to work so I didn't have to be there that day. I usually took some sick days when that happened.

I'm so loving glad to be out of there, and it wasn't nearly as bad as some of you have it. I don't know how the lifers do it. :(

Done that too. Seriously, cuntvalet, you gotta get the hell out. You end up in this zone where everything is terrible, and you're always anxious, but time kind of melts past, and suddenly it's another year later and you still hate it all.

Of course, here I am saying this and I'm still in a call center. gently caress I need a real exit plan. At least I'm not in that same place mentally any more.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Not necessarily true :twisted:

Our IVR will ask callers if they want to speak to the same rep, and route the call to you if it thinks you're going to be available in a reasonable amount of time. You always get the people you don't want back, too.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I've instituted a very firm rule that I do not talk about work on my break, period. When I bust it out I do it as if I'm asking a favor - "hey, can you do me a favor? This job really gets to me and I just don't talk about work on my break. Is that cool?"

Every time I've used it the guy gets it, I get peaceful breaks forever, and we can even still be friends. It's all in how you say it, make it about you and not them. I haven't had anyone get upset about it yet, and if they do, gently caress em. I need my break.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

This guy sounds like he's about the cry at any moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVdNobKNMig&t=73s

The worker is being a saint though and being completely professional. Got to hand it to the call center guy.

Is it weird that I'm sitting here wondering if I could have de-escalated that call?

On a different note, my job is sending me out of state to provide floor assistance for a new center for a week. Paid travel time, from what I hear very nice hotel rooms, plus a week off the phones to do the only thing I even kind of like at work? Sign me up.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

martyrdumb posted:

Screams or a single curse word on their own get a first warning from me. If he didn't calm down, it would be an instant hang-up. I've never worked anywhere that didn't let you hang up on abusive callers, as long as you warn them first.

Pretty sure we're not allowed to hang up on anyone for any reason. There is, however, an art to making people think they've lost you without hanging up. Not that I've done it, but I've seen it done. The system can tell if you hung up, and it can tell if you just hit mute and are pretending. Try stressing the connector on your headset where it meets the amp cord, just enough to break the connection intermittently, while still talking normally. Still might get fired for it, but it's harder to trace.

But honestly screams and cursing don't bother me, I just wait till they get tired, then we can actually get something done. I'm an escalations agent, though, so it's a bit of a different perspective. You want to get angry and screamy with me? I don't give a poo poo, I'm so over people being angry that it's just a waste of time. Finish your tantrum and then chill out a little.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I feel like that's the way it always goes. Why hire more staff when you can edge your existing staff closer to 100% utilization?

Out of curiosity, how many levels of management are between you and the people probably making the decisions about these changes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Xandu posted:

Stated that backwards. He said they shouldn't record breaks as hours worked at all. So if they worked 20 hours a week, but say 2 of those hours were spent taking breaks, they should only record having worked 18, essentially. So they'd look more productive when you look at calls per hour worked.

My question/hesitation with that is that if they remove those 2 hours, then they're only getting paid for 18 hours worked, not 20. So I was curious if that was common.

Federal labor law distinguishes between breaks, or 'short periods of rest from 5-20 minutes', and meal periods of at least 30 minutes. Breaks must be compensated, though meal periods do not have to be. Working an 8 hour day but being told to record 7.5 of that because you had two 15 minute breaks is illegal.