Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Fil5000 posted:

I'm constantly surprised at how many blatant loving racists are out there too. I remember dealing with an escalated call once, calming the customer down and getting ready to return him to the original agent (black guy with a noticeable but not impenetrable Jamaican twang) to deal with the outcome:

"Now I'm just going to transfer you back to Agent X and he'll get all this noted on your account."
"<significant pause> Could you transfer me to someone else instead?"
"<even more significant pause> And why would that be, Mr Y?"
"Well... I... I couldn't really understand him very well. You know what I mean?"
"Really? Oh, well in that case I'll be sure and tell him to explain things very carefully then."
"That's not what I..."
"I know. Now, the only agent free at the moment is Agent X; should I pass you back to him to get this resolved or should we leave your account in it's present state?"
"<sullen> Pass me back."
"Thank you, I'll just transfer you."

It may have been my imagination, but I think the agent turned his accent up a couple of notches for the duration of his call with that guy. I'm thankful that I was in an environment where we were allowed to shut people's accounts down for being abusive towards staff so we never felt utterly powerless.
That doesn't sound racist. He probably just had difficulty with that guy's accent. I'm terrible with other people's accents sometimes but I'm pretty sure I'm not racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU