Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cookie Kwan
Dec 10, 2007

Stay away from the west side!
Ahhhh, a thread for the damned. I've had the week off but I'm sure I'll be back next week for a rant. Can I just say that customer service is a harsh mistress that keeps dragging you back simply because it's easy money with no outside hassles. At least in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cookie Kwan
Dec 10, 2007

Ahhh finally back to hell today. And I remembered the thing that pisses me off most about my current job - people do not speak english.

PLEASE don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be racist in any way, shape, or form. But people who can't admit that they don't speak english, or only know the bare minimum conversation skills, really really really piss me off

Example:

Me: Hi, it's Comic Book Guy from Medibank, can I speak with *insert name* please?
Customer: Ahhh, can you repeat?
Me: Is *insert name* there please?
Customer: Yes, this is me.
Me: I'm calling about a visit that was made to Medibank a few days ago, was that you who came in to see us?
Customer: Med-i-bank?
Me: Yes, Medibank Private. Do you speak English? (I always say this as nicely as possible. I'm not trying to offend anyone, just trying not to waste someones time).

Now, usually at this point, the person will laugh and say "Oh, not very well. Do you have someone that speaks hindi/chinese/etc". Or "Yes, but you have to speak slowly" (Sure! I don't mind at all if you warn me, I'm just happy you might answer my questions) But then you get a few people who say...

Customer *pissed off/offended*: YES!
Me: Thanks, would you be able to answer a few questions about the customer service you recieved at the store? It should only take 1 minute.
Customer: Yes.
Me: Great! So what was your main reason for coming into the Medibank store?
Customer: Yes.
Me:....Ahhh, so why did you come into the store?
Customer: What store?
Me: The Medibank store?
Customer: Sorry, I don't understand. I don't speak English.
Me: :ughh:

Sometimes, the convo goes like this:

Me: I'm calling about a visit that was made to Medibank a few days ago, was that you who came in to see us?
Customer: No, it wasn't me. I went in to pay my premiums, but that's it.
Me: :ughh: *thinking* What did you do, stand outside the store on the street and hand the money to the clerk through the door????

Cookie Kwan
Dec 10, 2007

cuntvalet posted:

I know I've only been working my job for 3 months and have really only been on the floor for a month and a half, if that...but I don't know how much longer I'm going to last there.

I dread going to work, every day, and I hate every time I hear a call ding through.

More and more people who were hired at the same time as I was are quitting...I just...blah.

Don't feel too bad. Last year I worked for an employer before about a month before I quit. The place was horrible, and my team leader was this girl who'd been there for about 5 years who was promoted along with another woman who'd been there for about 9. They were both rude, my team leader couldn't speak English propely, and neither of them had any people skills whatsoever. In addition to this, they were both on the phones when they were not in meetings or call monitoring, so when we had questions they couldn't help us. When will businesses learn that just because someone is good at their job, that does not qualify them to teach or lead someone?

Really, I should have quit after the first day when they put me on the phones after 4 hours of training with a temp who'd been there for 3 months. :ughh:

Cookie Kwan
Dec 10, 2007

I started at my current position on the phones, and TBH I was going crazy and my supervisors saw that. Instead of firing me, they gave me a position doing administration (opening mail etc) until my contract ended. Then I applied for another contract, in which I did another form of administration (I'd call it data entry, really). I was working away happily, until two weeks ago when my team leader approached me and asked if I would go back on the phones...indefinitely (most likely 3-4 months) because one of my fellow employees wanted to see what working in the administration team would be like. Actually, it wasn't really being asked so much as it was "There is a permanent position that is coming up. Go back on the phones and it will look better on your application." It's been a week now and I pretty much want to shoot myself. I'm not planning on staying here forever, however, my application to the ADF is going to take at least 9-10 months, so unfortunately I have to apply for the permanent position. drat you office politics!

Cookie Kwan fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 6, 2013