Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
If overtime is available, abuse the hell out of it. I used to work in a call center 6 days a week (the max allowed) and averaged 10 hours a day or more. I could only do it for about a year before I got burnt out. After that, working less than 50 hours a week was cake and my car was paid off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Loving Life Partner posted:

What's the seasoned pro procedure? If you got any problem talking consider the day a lost cause? Ugh.

Go home. Smart supervisors will realize that you'd rather have one person home sick rather than a dozen.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I worked with a nice, Indian girl named Sunita. Sunita was an American citizen who had immigrated legally, and when I was doing OJT with her I saw how badly she was treated just because of her accent. She was so nice, and spoke very clearly, but people still had a completely different attitude with her versus the native-born Americans I worked with.

She was so good at her job that she didn't let it bother her, but it made me mad that people would treat her with such disrespect for having an Indian accent.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I enjoyed it greatly, nub. Thanks for sharing!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Invis posted:

Well yeah of course! But my point remains that when I say we are hosting a free information night, I am not lying. We don't take money from you for attending. We don't even pressure you to buy anything on the night. We merely teach about financial investment. If you happen to choose our company then great! If not, then it sucks for us but hey. At least you came along. That is the way I see it and the way I've been trained how things happen here. Of course we will want them to get the consultation afterwards and agree our company is best for their situation. That's how we get paid.

If we were interested in your product, we would be calling you. Don't bother me at home, or I will simply hang up.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Benzoyl Peroxide posted:

These people all think they're so smart when they ask it, too, like theyre the first one to think of such a satisfactory zinger. But you missed the best variation: "HOW MUCH are you going to pay me?" How much? Haha. Please.

It's not an unfair question, really. I wouldn't hand $5 over to a corporation just to do it, so why would I willingly waste my time to give information that they are going to make money from? What's my incentive to do the survey?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

KOMI posted:

Because expecting direct compensation for every little thing you do is silly. What reward for chatting 4 minutes on the phone would you be expecting?
Unless I called them or asked to be bothered I don't think it's right for someone to call me and waste my time so they can make money. I just say "sorry, not interested, please remove me from your list" and hang up, but I can't really fault people who want to be snarky and waste the time of the company calling them.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Ran across this and though of my fellow call center goons

This was dumb and didn't happen. I'm sure that spiking your food is a larger crime than stealing brownies.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

Cable/internet stuff

This just pisses me off. I haven't had cable for 7 years because it's an expensive luxury. I can afford it, but I'd rather spend my money on a gym membership, netflix, and doing things outside of the house.

Almost every person I know who has "money problems" has a $100/month cable bill. I really wish people would understand that it is not necessary to have cable or satellite TV service.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Jason Ray posted:

I hate when agents will transfer me a call and say, "Good luck!" It's my job to take your escalated phone calls. I don't need luck. I need luck like I need another hole in my head to stick another headset! I wish I could just leave a message for everyone to stop doing that and not seem like a total dick. I've begun saying, "I make my own luck" when they do that. The response back is, "umm...what?" Then I end up wasting another 10-30 seconds explaining myself while the customer we have on hold is getting more angry (he's already angry anyway so who cares right?) and ruining our talk times (which is more important).

Dude, just let it go. I understand that it can be grating, but people don't mean anything by it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

cuntvalet posted:

There have been moments that have made me unhappy or anxious but not like this where it's an everyday thing. This is definitely not where I see the rest of my life being spent but it's really frustrating for the time being.

So what's your plan?

Spending time whining about how much you hate your job is counter-productive. Everyone needs to relieve stress once in a while, but you've consistently been on here just wallowing in your own self pity.

If you can't help yourself, get help. But stop whining over and over about how rough your life is. Develop a plan, set goals, and get started.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Six Sigma is just the flavor of the decade for mapping process and reducing failure rates. I use the core concepts every day, but don't drink from the Kool-Aid.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I think you handled it perfectly. You can always claim that you thought you were being polite and accurate.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

you ate my cat posted:

I hate the "metric is broken, but you should be trying harder to meet it" speech.

A number was made-up for a goal we have, and it ended up being twice what the reality is showing. We've made good progress in getting closer, but there isn't any way that the number is ever going to be made. I called the person in charge of this metric, and his answer was "we can't just change it so you'll be making the goal." This makes my blood boil because they made the number up in the first place because they had no data, and now they have data to make the metric relevant.

No big though, it's just one of the few bonuses I had an opportunity to make this year...

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Rarity posted:

I started a call centre job a month ago. How long is it until I get traumatised? :ohdear:

During my interview I sat in with a veteran rep. The very first call was someone who spoke almost no English, so we contacted the language line for a Japanese translator. It turned out that it was a bank customer who saw our label on a piece of equipment and looked up our number online. It was a very confusing (but not traumatizing) call, so expect a lot of that kind of craziness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Get your resume polished up and start looking for another job. That place is likely circling the drain.