Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Console Parade posted:

Tech support Goon here. I don't take as many calls as most of you, but in between those calls, I also work on tickets. We had hundreds of tickets in our queue for months and we just recently got it down to about 25-50 a day. We were congratulated for doing such a great job ... initially. How many emails we send out on these tickets is a major factor of our productivity metrics. With ticket volume drastically reduced, everyone's numbers have gone down, and this needs to be fixed right away! :downs:

Do you happen to work at a software company in northeastern Wisconsin, because our call center guys reported something reaaaaally similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

This is the biggest things I hate. Dear son/grandson/SUPERCOMPUTERNERDAWSOMEDOOD/goon. Please don't set your loving 90 year old grandmother up with loving Linux. Most people on the phone do not know how to troubleshoot it from memory. Please don't tell your grandmother it is "easier" to use than Mac/Windows. Unless you're going to call in every loving time her internet is out DO NOT DO IT.

It's hard enough walking them through Windows.

Do you work for an ISP or something? All of the companies I worked for had pretty strict system requirements so these tech Wunderkinds that just knew everything wouldn't set up our unwary customers with hacked together setups like that.

We had one poor woman, who I believe was the practice manager (I was a developer for a veterinary practice management company) who called in constantly about "the system locking up" but couldn't really give us much beyond that. The techs couldn't figure it out so it made its way to me. Their "IT professional" was of some relation to one of the employees and about halfway through an MIS degree so he thought he was pretty hot poo poo. Anyway, I make my way to their server and see from the various logs that the SQL pages are getting chunked and causing the service to crash. It turns out this dipshit had a Windows 2003 server VM sitting on an Ubuntu box. SQLSERVER DOES NOT LIKE RUNNING ON VMs AND WHY ARE YOU USING UBUNTU FOR ENTERPRISE SOFTWARE ARRRGGHHHHHHHHH.

My point is, if any of you are in a call center and in a position where you have to work with freelance IT professionals, kill yourself. It'll save you time in the long run.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

cuntvalet posted:

How is it that client care is ignorant to their own damned jobs and what they're supposed to be doing and expect tech to fix everything?!

It's possible that they aren't. The help desk job I had required me to interface with a number of vendors with which we worked. They would really often just say something was our software's problem when it wasn't so they could get out of work and they knew we, not being a poo poo company, would fix it if the customer came to us pissed off. They could certainly be dumb though, too. Probably a little of Column A, little of Column B.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sub Rosa posted:

I feel sorry for those of you in outbound when things like this exist in the world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T02lbU5MTfo

Actually, I think you'll find that this really owns

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Loving Life Partner posted:

I'm surprised long phrasing passwording hasn't become a universal standard by now.

Every site is still "minimum 8 chars, 1 number, 1 capital, 1 symbol"

Listen rear end in a top hat, S1y61$brp3

is NOT more secure than

thisfuckingdumbpasswordeatsmyassforever

Nobody will guess it, nobody will crack it in a million years.

i, too, have read xkcd before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Truman Sticks posted:

Why do people use security/verification questions that don't apply to them? Like, if your dog died or you didn't have a dad growing up, then choose something other than "Pet's name" or "Father's middle name" as your question. Don't just enter 'None' as the answer.

Likely because they’re dumb BUT the best practice for KBAs (those kinds of questions used as a secondary authentication method) recommend you not answer them truthfully because that makes them harder to social engineer. Thankfully most places are getting away from those in favor of actual multi factor authentication