Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

moonsour posted:

Which leads me to 45 minutes of calling every number for Cox I can find only to be asked for an account number at every turn and spamming 0 of course hangs up instead of getting me a person.

Have you tried spamming # instead :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
I read this thread and realize that apparently I'm in, like, the nicest call center environment that could possibly exist. No horrible overbearing managers, no rough quotas or awful upselling, and in between calls we're basically allowed to do whatever we want within the boundaries of common sense.

Even the calls themselves don't suck most of the time because it's not a situation where people are calling to scream about bad services like Internet providers' centers get.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
"Call Centre rant thread: For the record, alcohol and NSAIDs are a terrible combination"

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
God, I am going to HATE it when I finally get trained in Membership Services along with my regular calls. I am so happy being able to pawn those folks off on other people.

Also our northern California branch has the worst hold music of all time and they keep me on hold for 30 minutes at a time EVERY SINGLE TIME I call them. I've missed entire lunch breaks because of NorCal. I have had concerned people come to my desk asking if my phone was broken because of NorCal. I was asked by my supervisor during our 1-1 coaching why my hold times were so high and all I had to do was say "NorCal" to get her to change the subject.

Hire more loving people, NorCal!

UZworm fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 27, 2017

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
"Can I have your membership number please?"
"OH MY GOD HOLY loving poo poo IS IT THE TWENTY TRILLION DIGIT MONSTROSITY ON THIS CARD? WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME LET ME JUST SET ASIDE SIX HOURS OF MY TIME TO READ THIS TO YOU JESUS CHRIST I'M SO TIRED NOW I'M GETTING THE VAPORS FROM EVEN LOOKING AT THIS NUMBER THAT YOU HAVE THRUST UPON ME"

Our membership numbers are 16 digits long.

(And it's worth noting that if 90% of these idiots knew how our company worked they'd only have to read us 10 of them.)

UZworm fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 13, 2017

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Firstborn posted:

Anyone here work from home? I'm interested in how you got started and where I could look for job postings.

FlexJobs has lots of good listings for those sorts of positions, though you do have to pay a fee to join.

Also, some of y'all don't get assigned seating? That sounds chaotic as hell.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
"What's your name?"
"Chris."
"Chris is a gay name, you know that right?"

Possibly my favorite angry customer interaction of all time.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

therobit posted:

Ask him what kind of a human being knows which names are gay and not.

I just told him to take it up with my parents.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Chicken Doodle posted:

Thirded. Left my lovely phone job for an office job in the same company and now I don't want to kill myself every night. And I get paid more/respected more too.

I just got moved to a dispatch position from the call center proper and it's close enough to changing to office work, I love it :D

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
Only when you move to dispatch do you realize how incompetent everyone in the call center is.

Holy poo poo I hate all my former co-workers now

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

PenguinKnight posted:

"What's the address for your website"

"its this"

"do i put this on the internet"

mothergently caress

:what:

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

Padams posted:

Northeast. And seriously, customers are racist and sexist as gently caress. I’m a white male with a “regular” name and it drives me nuts when I hear a customer after I greet them say “oh thank god a real American”. While at the same time hearing my coworkers calmly explaining to their customers that they will have to disconnect the call if the customers continue to call them racial slurs. My coworker was telling me how a customer told her that her name was a “n word name” and that she “must be from the ghetto with a name like that”.

I, multiple times, had customers talking about how much they hated talking to the incomprehensible and stupid "Indians" they were sent to last time they called us at my last job.

We did not employ anyone from India or anyone with an even remotely Indian accent, so I think they were just spouting racism out of hand expecting sympathy from me.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
I just started a new Temp call center job and I have the most technologically illiterate group of human beings on earth in my training class. We're 20 hours into training and I think we've done maybe an hour of actual training because these idiots cannot get passwords right, log into any of the systems, anything really. I've done everything successfully on the first try and I feel like ripping my hair out listening to these dipshits hold us back from learning anything. We're actually starting to take calls today and it's not like my position is insanely complex, but I have never been less prepared to start a job than this. We haven't even looked at the phone system yet!

I know :airquote: good help is hard to find :airquote: but considering I'm doing something pandemic-related and there are a lot of important things being exchanged with clients including SSNs and stuff I feel like they should hire people who know how to reset a loving email password and such??

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

savesthedayrocks posted:

If it’s any consolation management doesn’t want those people in training either.

In our center the supervisors did the hiring. Unfortunately many of them “just want to give someone a chance” and other bleeding heart statements. Double down if those supervisors match the age range of the computer illiterate. The last piece of the poo poo sand which is that there wasn’t a way to weed out computer literacy in an interview setting.

The real irony was when those people hit the floor and report to a supervisor that gets mad, but won’t address the hire with the interviewer or bring to their manager so the cycle repeats.

Thankfully they hosed up the queues so all of us are just getting calls that aren't in our jurisdiction and we have to transfer immediately; you don't need to be trained for that! :banjo:

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

blackmet posted:

Desperation hiring sucks.

I'm working for a part of the state govt (yes it's exactly what you think it is) that has required 100+ new temp hires in the past month so it's basically that in an exponential amount, but my 30-person group in particular is for an insanely specific niche that should be the simplest thing around and a bunch of people are still making GBS threads the bed beyond belief both in terms of retaining information and tech issues.

Duckman2008 posted:

So after working 11 years in retail sales, I’m being switched to work at home customer service. Very grateful to keep a job and benefits.

Instead of sales, I will basically be doing troubleshooting , bill issues , and walking people through transferring their info (as far as I can guess anyway).

I’m not really worried since I am more than qualified, but it’s still different because I’m used to physically seeing everything, and I’m used to being on my feet all day (the last 3 weeks of quarantine have helped get me ready there).

Yeah, thoughts on what to expect, advice, etc ?

It's a different kind of mental fortitude required for call center work vs. retail work, but it's IMO said fortitude is easier than retail work in most possible senses and much easier to get used to so you'll probably do well. Depends on the job of course, though.

UZworm fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 12, 2020

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian

UZworm posted:

I just started a new Temp call center job and I have the most technologically illiterate group of human beings on earth in my training class. We're 20 hours into training and I think we've done maybe an hour of actual training because these idiots cannot get passwords right, log into any of the systems, anything really. I've done everything successfully on the first try and I feel like ripping my hair out listening to these dipshits hold us back from learning anything. We're actually starting to take calls today and it's not like my position is insanely complex, but I have never been less prepared to start a job than this. We haven't even looked at the phone system yet!

I know :airquote: good help is hard to find :airquote: but considering I'm doing something pandemic-related and there are a lot of important things being exchanged with clients including SSNs and stuff I feel like they should hire people who know how to reset a loving email password and such??

I know that office work is less than ideal in the current climate but I managed to transfer over to an office job where I'm just doing document admin work by myself so not only am I doing something I enjoy more but I also won't have to deal with this group of brainless shitheads anymore as they do more training for new stuff

I took about 5 total calls during my four days of the call-taking job lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
I remember at my old job I worked Thanksgiving one time and there were only about 1/10 the amount of calls from usual, but the calls we DID get were 100x worse somehow