Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oquendog
Oct 8, 2009

Oh, my.

I was fixing to work at a Call Center giant here in Texas, and then I read this thread.

Jesus christ. The funny part is, it sounds hysterical...They can fire you with no just reasoning because WELCOME TO TEXAS, but after being terminated you can immediately re-apply to another department because this Call Center (like many I presume) is a contractor for places such as AT&T.

Even better, there is no restrictions once being terminated to re-apply other than sexual harassment, for which you will have to wait for a very, very long period of precisely 2 months.

One of my friends who pushed me to applying told me about his coworker receiving a promotion suddenly by a Sales Manager with no prompt, and upon arriving the next day the first priority was for him to fire 27 people.

I think I'm in love!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oquendog
Oct 8, 2009

Went in for my "interview" today at a Call Center:

-Had to report to Human Resources, had no idea where the building was located...Called all 3 numbers for the Human Resources department to determine the location of where I was suppose to report, and where/when to schedule an interview... All 3 gave an answering machine stating the number you called, and to call another number if you would like to verify employment (at 2PM on a Friday, they are open until 6PM).

-Arrive after 30 minutes of searching the general area, enter HR, to a woman reading a book. Who has no idea why I would be in this department for an interview. Sends me to someone else who finds my resume in the data system and proceeds to ask me if I've worked there before and promptly sends me to be screened.

-The person who began my questionnaire, took 20 minutes figuring out how to activate the questionnaire...He is paid to start questionnaires, that's all he does, everyday. When I approached him, he was playing Go-Fish with 3 other ladies and laughing on a round table, shook my hand, and asked me if I've worked there before.

-Completed it, waited in a lobby for the interview...All the while listening to a party 2 rooms away (clearly) and watching the receptionist literally pick up the phone when it rings and immediately hang up.

-I was fixing to take a drink of water, walk out, and go home. Unfortunately I was approached by a tiny man who blatantly mispronounced my last name, shook hands, went to a cubicle the size of a porta-potty and got down to business.

-Tell me 'oquendog':
Are you successful?
Who is the most competitive person you know?
Give me a brief list of your accomplishments.
Are you an aggressive seller?
Define punctuality for me in your terms.
Have you worked here before?

-oquendog, I need you to read this transcript for me...I read it in a Shooter McGavin fake-type voice, it worked. We shook hands. Explained to me I would need a second interview with "the big chiefs" in another building who would accept/deny me for contract work with a major bank and then after I was suppose to report back to him after the 2nd interview to see if I have a job.

If someone asked me what I did for a living, I couldn't tell them. It's my secret employment. Because frankly, even I do not know what I do. No one told me. I just assume I'll be on a phone, and someone will yell at me on the other side.

If I land this job I am taking out the mirror in my bathroom so I don't have to look at myself before going to work.

oquendog
Oct 8, 2009

ZeroDays posted:

That's usually how MLMs operate.

I am very sure it is a call center, they are apparently internationally reknown and based out of Omaha, Nebraska.

They have had a Call Center here for almost a decade now, I used to pass by it on my way to class often.

I did my research, the problem is I had no idea they did contract work on an individual basis, I thought this call center picks up a 'project' from another company, they pay hoodlums to work with barely any training/advising, and then foward the bill for the hours accumulated.

I look at it as a scam, just as you do. They pay almost anyone just a bit over minimum wage to be yelled at over a phone, very basic training to not have to expend too much money, no benefits, it's in Texas so you can fire anyone without cause, bill said company...Profit margin ahoy.

Honestly, I'm still considering whether to go in or not...And I'm unemployed.

edit: sorry, point of my post - you are absolutely right to call it an MLM, because it probably is.

oquendog fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 21, 2011

oquendog
Oct 8, 2009

ZeroDays posted:

The thing that would confirm it is if the "second interview" (which they always have) is to test-drive you for a day selling poo poo, unpaid.

Okay, just finished with the second interview, I am shocked at how wrong I was in my approach, I'm very glad I went in.

Basically, everyone there seems to do their job - but they understand it's not to be taken seriously. So, we're all on the same page, including the person that interviewed me.

I'm basically customer service for status updates on foreclosures (inbound calls). Sounds horrible, but they will give me all the hours I want (up to 75 hours) with a lot of chill people.

I really hope it stays this way, I know I can't work here forever but I was really impressed. It's like these people gave up on their dreams and don't care anymore. It's awesome.