Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
On Friday I got the most amazing customer:

:j: Tech support, froglet speaking, how can I help you today?
:byodame: Uh hi, I have a problem with my voip...
:j: *goes through standard troubleshooting*
:byodame: This is taking too long, can I talk to one of the guys?
:j: Uh... had you previously been speaking to one of my coworkers? Do you know his name?
:byodame: No offense or anything, but I'd rather talk to a guy.
:j: Sure, all the guys are on calls now, but I can make a note and one of them will call you back when he's available.

I like to think I was considerably restrained when she came out with her gender-bias crap. Apparently because I'm female I'm incapable of helping her with her. v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

I work in tech support, and today I was responding to email queries. After answering an email and signing 'Regards, Ann (Customer Care Consultant)', I got the following email response (emphasis is mine):

Customer posted:

Thanks Andrew,

:words:

Who's Andrew?

It'd be understandable if my name was Alex or Jo as those names are a bit more gender neutral than "Ann".

Edit: Ann isn't my real name; but it's a similar type of mistake.

froglet fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 24, 2010

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

A customer the other day:

:j: Hi this is tech support, froglet speaking. How can I help you today?
:geno: Hello, I would like to buy an internet.

I wanted to ask him how many internets he would like to buy, and ask him how it should be shipped to him, but I figure I'd get in trouble with the boss.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

I love my job - I'm allowed to tell customers to sod off when they're being unreasonable. Like the guy who set up internet on the 'wrong' phone number (he had two phone lines and apparently applied with 'the wrong one'). When he called up demanding a credit, I had this wonderful conversation with him:

:argh: This is referring to case number 123456, we found out what the problem is.
:j: What was the issue? It says no sync fault here.
:argh: We've got the internet on the wrong phone number. The socket I was using was for [phone1], while the socket I should have been using was for [phone2]. Anyway, I need a credit.
:j: Uh, I just pulled up your application. Did you fill this out online?
:argh: Yes
:j: Then we can't provide a credit. You wrote here that that [phone2] was the number you'd like the adsl connection to be on.
:argh: THIS IS BULLSHIT, YOU GUYS WENT THROUGH ALL THIS TROUBLESHOOTING WITH ME AND I'VE BEEN OFF THE INTERNET FOR OVER A WEEK NOW.
:j: We were working off the assumption that you only had one phone number. If we had known you had multiple line at the business we would have figured it out pretty quickly.
:argh: I'M GOING TO TELL ALL MY CUSTOMERS ABOUT THIS!!!

Yeah, like I really care that he's going to tell all his mates about how awful the ISP I work for is. :rolleyes:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Working tech support is a real eye opener.

Last week:
:j: Tech support, froglet speaking, how can I help you?
:byodame: I'M BEING HACKED!
:j: Okay, so are you unable to access webpages...? what exactly makes you think you're being hacked? (considering this is the first time I've had a customer say I'VE BEEN HACKED, I think my question was appropriate)
:byodame: Well THINGS CHANGE ON MY COMPUTER WHEN I SWITCH IT OFF!, AND MY DAUGHTER VISITS HACKING WEBSITES IT'S SO EASY TO HACK INTO COMPUTERS IT'S ALL UP ON WIKIPEDIA.
... I think you get the picture.

After a bit of troubleshooting I ended up telling her that it was highly unlikely she'd been hacked (security settings all in place, and I assume she'd hear from us if there was a lot of unusual activity directed at her IP address) and that she should see an IT security consultant if she thought her computer was at risk. We're Level 1 tech supports and her computers security is her own responsibility, so it's not like I could help her beyond basic antispam setup.

This week I was following up on a customer callback:
:j: Hi this is froglet from your ISP, just letting you know the issue you called about yesterday has been resol...
:byodame: I'VE BEEN HACKED!
:j: ... Oh, I remember you, I spoke to you last week.
:byodame: I'VE BEEN HACKED!
:j: Okay, so what do you mean by you being hacked?
:byodame: I CAN'T TELL YOU RIGHT NOW I'VE BEEN UP ALL NIGHT WITH THIS PROBLEM AND I NEED TO CHANGE MY IP ADDRESS AND ALL MY PASSWORDS AND YOU GUYS NEED TO FIX THIS IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!
:j: Okay... Last week we determined that your wireless network has a password on it. If you're concerned about your wireless network you should connect by a cable and switch off the wireless.
:byodame: I HAVE DOCUMENTS THAT PROVE I'M BEING HACKED!!!!!!
:j: Okay, considering you don't want to discuss this with me on the phone, would it be possible for you to email our support with your documentation? I can get this taken further if we have further information.
:byodame: WELL I'VE BEEN HACKED I'VE BEEN HACKED I CAN'T STOP THE HACKERS THEY'RE AFTER ME.
:j: Can you describe how you're being hacked?
... and so on. All the issues were vague enough to be a basic configuration problem that I could fix, but I couldn't get her to describe what was happening.

I'm still not entirely sure what she was meaning when she says 'I'm being hacked' and considering she can't explain what "being hacked" means aside from "somebody's out to get me :tinfoil:", I have no idea what to think. Also, last week she was talking all about her daughter being an evil hacker who ruins her things, while this week she'd claim "a hacker" was after her.
I reckon there's a couple of possibilities in this case:
:tinfoil: there's a hacker out to get her.
:v: her Mac has malware on it.
:downs: she can't figure out how to save settings on her Mac.

I can't wait for next week. :allears:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Dear Valued Customer,

Calling us 4 times within 40 minutes doesn't mean we're going to get your problem fixed any faster. We keep notes about things like this, and we specified every single time you called that you need to get your contracted IT tech out. We don't say this just to be mean or to cause an inconvenience, we say it because you have an enterprise setup and nobody in their right mind doing Level 1 support wants to take all the responsibility and liability for your internal network.

Kind regards,
froglet
P.S. I took your call the second and fourth times around, and don't tell me that 'the other girl said [stuff that certainly wasn't said]', because I was the 'other girl' you'd spoken to, and I certainly don't recall saying those things.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You know there is either an issue with the service you're offering, or with the person you're dealing with when the case notes you have to write up after speaking to a customer start off like this:
"<customer> called; has had several issues with hackers over the past few weeks."
and goes on to elaborate about how the customers computer has apparently invented http scripting that steals peoples passwords and how there is a syndicate out there dedicated to stealing her personal information.

Yes, it's the same person I mentioned earlier in the thread. She now refuses to speak to me because I told her the support team couldn't assist further unless she produces hard evidence that she is being hacked or that there is a problem with the connection we've provided her.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

There's this one guy at my work. If I so much as make a tiny error within my case notes or when I ask him a casual question, he will get on my case about how to do it right the next time.

However, there are multiple ways to speak to a person when they have made an error.
Method 1:
:v: Hey froglet, this issue seems to be on their side of the equation - [this] and [that] indicate this. If you're unclear on something, let me know, we can go over it for next time.
:j: Okay, :v:, yeah I'm a little unclear on [stuff], I'll read up on it in the wiki and ask you or one of the other techs if I have any problems understanding. Thank you for offering.
Method 2:
:v: froglet, this issue is on their end.
(then goes off on a deluge of :words: about how I'm wrong and why he's right, with an emphasis on 'you are wrong and you should feel bad for wasting my time').
:j: . o O ( what do you expect me to say to that? )

Method 1 is a good way of pointing out an error somebody has made while also encouraging them to learn more/correct their error at the same time. Method 2 discourages you from wanting to talk to That Guy if you're having a problem, even if you know they're very good at their job. It's just easier to speak to somebody else and get a politer answer than it is to get belittled for not knowing as much.

I think you can surmise which method the guy at my work takes when speaking to others.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Tennis Ball posted:

Why did you not call at 10 AM? Why?

I've had customers whose internet has been out for 2 weeks and they didn't call us about it, they just assume we 'were working on it'.

Oh, and when I say to customers 'get a tech out to set up [whatever] I think there is something wrong with your computer', I don't mean 'call Apple support, who then bounce you straight back to us'. One guy keeps calling us back to help him set up his Mac Mail, and even the people who own Macs at home have no idea what he is doing to cause all these errors.

:j: Look, I don't know what these errors mean in the context of your problem, you can't find the buttons that I really need you to use so I can troubleshoot your issue, you're going to need to get a professional to set it up for you.
:downs: I'll call Apple tomorrow.
:j: You've spoken to 3 representatives who are all pretty sure that [this] is your problem, which isn't something Apple covers through telephone support. We've been through this multiple times, you need to take your computer in to a technician for them to properly diagnose and fix the problem.
:downs: I'll call Apple tomorrow.

:negative:

froglet fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 20, 2010

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Helpdesk is getting trained in sales. :suicide:

Also, sometimes I get these billing calls and I want go all BFC on the caller. I like how customers think "I need to buy alcohol for my birthday party that 400+ people are attending" is a reasonable excuse as to why they can't pay a $30 internet bill on time.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

My stress toy was a slinky. Then one day one of my coworkers mangled it. He's always said he'll get a replacement slinky, but it never happened. So my other coworker bid on a pack of 12 slinkies online as a joke, somehow managed to win them. Now there's a few lurking (slinking?) around my workplace.

froglet fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 5, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Yeah, I work the same hours every week built around my school schedule, and this was the first time they tried to change it up on me and it was just due to all of a sudden we were short 4 out of the 9 people we were supposed to have on that day for loans and it being a busy tax day they wanted extra help. Except they didnt ask, They assigned me for a 12 hour shift on a day I wont work, and during the week I only do 4 hour shifts because of classes and homework.

At my call centre, I tend to get a lot of shifts because I have a very broad set of availabilities (nobody else seems to want to work weekends/evenings). However, this has lead to situations where I've asked for only 2-3 shifts per week due to study, to find the boss has put me down for four or five because there's nobody else to cover. Most of the time I can handball the shifts off onto somebody else, but it annoys me that I get placed in that position.

Rant of the day: One of my coworkers can't stand coming to work, so he calls in sick as much as he can get away with. Every now and again he then asks us to give away shifts to him. The last time I gave him an evening shift he swapped it with somebody else for a weekend shift... then called in sick for the weekend.
I wouldn't have cared if it weren't for the fact that I worked that weekend, there was a major outage and it was just me on my own answering the deluge of calls for the next two hours. While he's not psychic, it's poor form to agree to take a shift for somebody else, then not show up.

Technically speaking I shouldn't be pissed off that he gets sick or injured, but he freely admits (to anyone except the management) that he calls in because he doesn't like working more than 2 or 3 shifts a week, and if a shift is remotely inconvenient he calls in sick.

froglet fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 20, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

I just wouldn't do any more shift swaps with him if I were you. "Sorry, you left me high and dry because you couldn't be bothered to come in; go ask someone else." He does this to people often enough and eventually no-one will switch with him.

Yeah, I haven't swapped shifts with him since then.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

I'm a level one tech support, and due to the actions of a few useless coworkers (no really, their cases often went along the lines of "customer is not in sync, escalating to level 2") lead to there being a checklist system placed. I follow the checklists religiously because it's not worth the trouble of level 2 sending stuff back to us upon deciding a minor point needs follow up before they can send to field.

One thing that annoys me but isn't specifically call centre related - currently we're losing people left right and centre:
  • One person is going to be a Level 2 for the next fortnight because two of the level 2's had to go on annual leave.
  • One person got a job doing system administration within the company.
  • One person got an internship and quit with very little notice.
  • It's mid-semester and all the casual staff have assignments to do so are reducing their shifts.
  • Our boss, who previously managed to keep the helpdesk running relatively smoothly even when we had so few people, has been made redundant so one of the day supervisors has been forced into a position where he has to roster and organise for everyone else.
The next few weeks are going to be terrible. :(

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

There's a customer who frequently calls (usually because his account is suspended due to non-payment), and gets abusive if things don't go his way.

I got his call last night. The end of the conversation looked a bit like this:
:j: okay, so we're just going to have to put your authentication details back into the mode-
:rant: RAAAARGH WHY DO I HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS loving poo poo AGAIN loving HELL WHY CAN'T YOU DUMB FUCKS GET SOMETHING RIGHT!!!!!
:j: uh, if you don't stop swearing at me I'm going to ha-
*click*

He hung up on me, what a relief. I included in the notes that I wasn't going to call back because he was abusive.

Funnily enough, we've tried to forcibly disconnect him from receiving services anymore (he rarely pays on time, threatens staff and we've wasted a lot of time and effort on him already), but we have to provide written notification and he keeps forwarding the letters back to us as 'return to sender'. :eng99:

Edit:

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I got chewed out for taking a break that was a minute too long today. I was in the restroom and was having stomach problems. Come on, give me a loving break.

Also, I've only really started taking a lot of calls, but how do you guys taking people yelling at you about a bill they obviously don't understand? It's so draining to talk to some of these people because it seems like nothing will satisfy them except the answer they're looking for. What do you mean it's an introductory rate, or whatever.

The other thing that is killing me is half the people who call me sound like Boomhauer from King of the HIll and I have no idea what the hell they're saying but hopefully I'll get more accustomed to them.
I find repetition helps. Each time they try to reframe the issue so they can try and not pay whatever bill they have coming their way, you just repeat that it was in their contract.
Something along the lines of "when you signed up the terms and conditions were you were to get [introductory rate] for [period of time]. [period of time] has since passed, so we're putting your rate back up. You signed an agreement stating you understood and accepted these terms. Your bill is for [$x] and it's due on [date]" works okay. Sometimes suggesting that you're just a peon who has to obey the rules helps, but I don't know if your calls are recorded or not.

Each time they try to argue it with you, just tell them it's not an argument because they signed the contract, but you can try talking to your manager or whatever to see if they can help you out.

froglet fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 4, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

When we first started taking calls from Scotland, my first call was from a Glaswegian, and I literally couldn't understand a word. It was the pace, the completely different slang, etc. It may as well have been a completely different language, frankly. After a couple of calls I got the hang of it but just the fact there's such a massive difference in accent between Glasgow and Edinburgh still staggers me.

Edit: Also briefly worked with a guy who used to work in bars in Glasgow; someone asked him which team he supported and he went utterly stoney faced and said "I don't follow football". We had to remind him that he wasn't in Glasgow any more and no one was going to bottle him for saying the wrong one.

I lived and attended school in the UK for a few years, and I found the accents really difficult to understand my first few weeks there.

On the bright side, today I discovered I apparently speak on the phone with a Scottish lilt. I'm not sure why I do this and I can't actually stop myself from doing it without having to think very carefully about what I'm about to say, but I'm not complaining. It makes for interesting conversation during an otherwise boring call.

Funny story about "them foreign call centres" and how much customers hate them; my coworker took a call where the lady just carried on about 'those horrible asian people' and call centres. After she'd finished her little tirade (and he was in the middle of fixing her issue), he said 'well, I'm actually the first Australian-born citizen in my family, my parents are both from Vietnam'. He heard her gasp and she apologised profusely throughout the call. :)

froglet fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 7, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I am also really sick of hearing people explain to me that they are on a "fixed income." Literally everyone is on a "fixed income." I have never met anyone whose income was unlimited.

I always assumed "fixed income" was used to indicate somebody on a pension or disability payment, where an unexpected bill for $500 or whatever was going to upset their finances considerably because the income is exclusively for covering the costs of living. But yeah, it's annoying when people complain about the cheapest option being "so expensive" then complaining when it doesn't do the things a more expensive option would offer.

froglet fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 26, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

Im posting from my call center right now because i have not talked to people at all yet today. I have no idea why telemarketing offices think calling people early on a saturday morning is a good idea.

Ugh, this. At my workplace we're not open 24/7 so if a customer calls at 2am or whatever, it gets sent to a messaging service who take down their name and number and ask the customer what the problem is.

Since we got feedback that customers don't like being called back at 7am on a Sunday morning unless they specify otherwise, we tend to do callbacks around mid morning. One day I call back a customer and the guy just shouts at me about how I was supposed to call back at 7am (I'd started my shift at 8:30) and then refused to go through troubleshooting with me when I explained most customers don't appreciate a callback at 7am on a weekend. :confused:

The thing is... if he wanted a callback at 7am and was expecting it then, why didn't he just call or email us when he realised we hadn't called him? Why didn't he tell the person writing down the message he wants a callback at 7am when she asked if there was a specific time he required a callback? Why is it he got pissed off when I explained the majority of customers don't like to be called by customer service monkeys at 7am on a weekend?
Answers to these questions are something we may never know. :psyduck:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

My workplace is normally a really awesome place to be - chill coworkers, workload is pretty nice if you know what you're doing, opportunities to learn and grow within the company, all that good stuff you can get out of a good job with sane management. However...

They've completely changed the layout of the office, so half of the tier 1 staff sits on one end of the room, while the other half of the helpdesk sits on the other side of the room. In the middle is the people in tier 2.

It's a really awkward layout. The main reason the change was made was because apparently "some people were talking too loudly" and it annoyed the sales/marketing people (it's a helpdesk, what do they expect?). Now they've moved the main complainer even closer to the noisy helpdesk, so no idea what kind of difference they think is going to happen aside from dayshift sitting corner A and evening shift sitting in corner B and neither of them really talking to each other and not coordinating effectively.

On the bright side, the other day my coworker told me he hadn't forgotten about the slinky of mine he broke accidentally while at work a few months back, and he was going to find me a new one. :3:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

I hate it when customers aren't specific about what they're typing into the computer (I work Tier 1 ISP support).

:) Okay so type into the username field your email address, so that will be downsguy@isp.net.au, and your password into the password field...
:downs: Okay, done. Do I click "ok?"
:) Yes
:downs: It said authentication failed.
:) So what did you type in the username field?
:downs: Oh I typed in downsguy@isp.net
:) Did you add ".au" onto the end?
:downs: THAT'S WHAT I SAID!!!!

I don't get how I'm so specific about what I say and how I say it and yet people still won't bother listening, or only listen to half of it. It's not as if I'm making this up for my own entertainment.

The one day I had a customer who seemed incapable of typing in his full email address into a specific field. We went around in circles for ages until he decided to get his 9 year old neice to put it all in for him. I could hear her telling him off for not listening to me. :3:

froglet fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 27, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Everyone who works weekends and evening shifts got a scary email about how stuff isn't getting done.

I think the main issue that my workplace isn't addressing is how the weekday morning shift contributes to the problem. The people on weekday mornings have this entitlement complex about how they 'do more work' than the evening and weekend shifts (which I don't think is true, or if it is it's because they have twice the staff we on evenings have), so they assign stuff they don't want to do onto us. Even when it's stuff that needs to be done in the morning or early afternoon.

It's all very well and good to say 'you guys should work harder' but the issue isn't everyone slacking off, it's only a few people, and how everyone thinks we "don't do work" so when new connection calls and cancellation calls don't get done we get blamed for it. So basically we're all getting punished for the actions of a few, and nobody should feel compelled to cover up their coworkers failings each weekend.

Of course, if we confronted the weekday morning supervisors and the team leader about this, they're going to deny there's a problem.

froglet fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 31, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

fret logic posted:

Why is there an outage? It doesn't matter why there is an outage, there just is. Do you want me to tell you that a part on the power supply for the alarm system of the unit in your area that went bad, causing the alarms to go off and temporarily shut off the service? You don't want me to tell you that, because you wont understand it, I don't understand it, and you'll just get pissier. You don't ask your mechanic exactly how disc brakes operate so why are you asking me why a box just stopped working? It just did alright? Allow me to fix the issue and stop living in the loving problem.

Yeah, one customer started getting very vocal about his displeasure as to why his modem could possibly be broken when "it was just working yesterday", so I had the following conversation with him:
:j: Have you ever had a car break down on you?
:downs: Yeah...
:j: In that instance, was it working every day prior to the break down?
:downs: Yeah...
:j: It's exactly like that.
:iiaca:

Car analogies are the best.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, "Things work until they break" is something I say at least once every day and it's rapidly becoming one of my biggest pet peeves to hear 'It was working fine yesterday!'. Of course it was. If it broke yesterday, your dumb rear end would've called us yesterday.

I had a guy who refused to do the troubleshooting because he was certain it was nothing on his end. Except instead of testing it, he just surmised that because it had all worked previously, it couldn't be broken now. After a bit of a battle in attempting to get him to do some troubleshooting we told him we'd send a tech only if he'd confirm he'd pay up if it turned out to be him.

He agreed, and the tech found:
  • Modem was broken.
  • Two faulty splitters
  • Unfiltered monitored alarm
  • One unfiltered fax machine
  • 10m phone cable
  • Dialtone fault
This is pretty much perfect storm of user-end problems, of which we could have resolved the majority of within the one call if he'd actually listened to us.

Then his wife called disputing the technician fee despite us making it clear we would charge him if it turns out he didn't do the troubleshooting. Fun times!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Dear customers,

No we're not going to be able to help you when you're driving or at work. Also I advise if your kid is screaming bloody murder you go calm them down because it hurts my ears and the volume button on my phone is broken. You might be easily able to tune it out, but I can't and it's really distracting.

Oh, and "IT Professionals" who can't configure a modem router or do basic troubleshooting are the bane of my existence. If you call yourself an "IT guy" for a business but cannot read an instruction manual or have enough knowledge in the area to figure it out on your own, kindly :fuckoff:

froglet fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 21, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

legsarerequired posted:

I once got in trouble for looking at an article on stumptuous.com that had the word "gently caress" in the title. We aren't allowed to look at any websites at my company, but everyone checks their e-mail or reads the news anyway.

At my workplace the management tends to be pretty understanding - they all know there's no point just staring up at the ceiling while we wait for the customer to do the troubleshooting, so they have an extremely lax policy on internet usage.

Then a group of people hosed it up one weekend by surfing the internet all day and not doing their assigned work, so everyone on weekend shift got a scary email and everyone else got a talking to at the next team meeting. It's not that they really disapprove of us looking at internet things while troubleshooting, it's only when it's a distraction from our work that it becomes a problem.

froglet fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 6, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

legsarerequired posted:

Hmm, my managers are semi-lax about Internet usage during off-time (as long as it's just tame stuff like checking e-mail, the news, etc), but I'm pretty sure that people at my center have been fired for using the Internet during phone calls.

I think it really depends on the situation and the person. I don't really have a track record as a trouble maker - in fact, I'm shift supervisor after hours sometimes. So a bit of internet usage is fine considering I do my work to the best of my ability and it doesn't seem to detract from my responsibilities. However, others have been told that they should do a bit less youtube and a bit more work. The team leaders reasoning is that he hasn't got the time to be monitoring traffic usage and he doesn't care what we get up to on the weekend providing things get done and we're not doing anything nefarious with the office internet connection (such as :filez:), so he'll only bring it up with us if it's individually impacting our work.

It wasn't always like this - the last manager was a complete control freak about use of the office connection. E.g. he once saw me using some sort of web-based tool to do tests for something when he told me 'less internet, more work'. This was despite the fact I had just finished not only my work, but half of my useless coworkers work too.

Also, we have a new guy. He's a bit... off. Such as how he acts really unusually towards the girls in tech support. Hopefully he'll get over it, because if he keeps disregarding my instructions when I'm supervisor even after I've spoken to the main shift supervisor about it, they'll have to pull him off nights (and we need all the night people we can get).

froglet fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 7, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

legsarerequired posted:

EDIT: I can understand how that sucks, but I'm just saying that I don't understand why he complains to me, of all of his friends, about this type of problem.

I doubt he realises that in your eyes such a job would be awesome. I know I'd slowly go mad if my job had that much downtime, but that's just me. Maybe you just need to tell him 'look, please don't tell me how dull your job is, especially considering a lot of the time I have to deal with terrible people' because he doesn't realise him letting off some steam makes him sound like a prat and is alienating himself from you.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Turns out nobody had switched on the dishwasher or done any dishes at work since Thursday or Friday.

There was mould growing out of a coffee mug. Mould. :gonk:
Guess who gets in trouble if dishes aren't done by Monday? The supervisor, that's who! Guess who was supervisor today?!
:suicide:

After sterilising the mug and switching on the dishwasher, I washed my hands for a solid 5 minutes after that. Then used hand sanitiser. Lots of hand sanitiser. I swear, keeping hand sanitiser in my bag is one of the best ideas I ever had.

Weekend and PM shift always gets in trouble about dishes not getting done despite day crew and the other departments on the floor making the dishes in the first place. Us on nightshift are paragons of nutrition and order in food. Or bring in our own food + cutlery because normally by the time we get to have lunch the cutlery and plates and mugs have been used but not cleaned. I would not use the workplace cutlery without giving it a good clean beforehand. Ever.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

martyrdumb posted:

I don't understand your office culture AT ALL. Sharing "office dishes" is not necessary in the first place. Where I work, you bring in your own poo poo and take home your own poo poo, and any poo poo left on Fridays is thrown the gently caress away. It's loving EGREGIOUS that people aren't expected to wash their own. Washing moldy dishes 5 days after other people used them? That's so goddamn disgusting. You're a supervisor, bring up a proposal to put an end to that bullshit.

People really should be washing their own dishes, but if nothing else then the sups should be checking that they're done by the end of every day shift. It's also illogical that you would get in trouble for work other people didn't do. Do you have a boss you can talk to about this? Accountability should fall on the manager from the previous shift who failed to follow through.

I can't believe all of this poo poo even needs to be said. I just wasted two paragraphs about adults who can't wash their own loving coffee cups.

Yeah, I don't really get it either, but I guess it's better than showing up to work to realise you forgot your cutlery.

Normally the kitchen is quite clean, there's a dishwasher for the express purpose of staff use. Supervisors are told it's their responsibility to ensure the dishwasher is at least stacked, but this weekend evidently nobody got around to it and lots of people are manchildren who put their cups etc into the sink rather than the dishwasher.

The attitude at work is that if you notice it, do something about it, which is a nice theory but in practise it means the same group of people are having to pick up after everyone else. I only really did it because I don't like leaving biohazards just lying around and it's not worth giving the day shift supervisor more ammo for the axe she has to grind with weekend shift.

Either way, it's not on and I'm talking to the team leader about it when I get in today. I know it's not just helpdesk, either, so he'll need to speak to everyone else on the floor.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

ZeroDays posted:

These kitchen stories are hilarious. It's incredible the lengths people will go to not to have to clean a dish. It becomes a mexican stand-off every time until management take action.

Yeah, I find it pretty funny that despite being one of the youngest people on the floor I'm one of the few acting like an adult.

Speaking of tales of grotty people, my friend used to work doing IT support for a local university, and one of his coworkers had a distinct lack of personal hygiene. He'd shower at night and walk to work the next day, which during the hot Australian summer made him rather fragrant. He'd also (unbeknownst to everyone else) keep dishes in his desk drawer. When he left they discovered... something. They think it might have been a plate. They threw the desk out after that.

The only time I've had something stolen when I put it in the office fridge was a mars bar.

froglet fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 18, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Yesterday I got shouted at by a customer because I wouldn't help him set up his networked printer. :stare:

Because Tier 1 ISP support means we're totally qualified and willing to assist with printer problems, right?! :suicide:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Harminoff posted:

That isn't just your bathroom, that is every places. My manager actually had a meeting about it here, and stated at the 5+ places he managed, it's always the same. Girls are terrible at using the bathroom I guess, while guys are ok at it. Pretty much the opposite of what goes on outside a bathroom.

When I last went through a stint of unemployment, I attended a community college. The ladies room had signs on the doors with a diagram that basically said "western toilets should be sat on, not squatted on" - I'm assuming because of the large international student population. I'll dig up pics of the sign at some point.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

fret logic posted:

Customers are generally irrational petulant children who always want more and always want it for absolutely nothing.

Pretty much this.

The problem with customers is that they refuse to take the time to understand anything about the business at all beyond the basics of "pay $x per month/quarter/year".

As an aside, I'm getting sorely tempted to tell every customer that calls up and asks me if they got through to tech support that I'm actually from the fishing show and that they missed out on the prize.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Benzoyl Peroxide posted:

I find it hard sometimes not to come across as completely condescending when explaining these things to people. It's a shame you can't just tell it like it is.

I have this problem as well - there's no real polite way to say 'if your internet is not working now something must have changed, which means testing your 'perfect' network'.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

I do not have very nice customers. :smith:

I'd suggest speaking to your supervisor. If I ever got a call like that I would hang up and report it to my supervisor. Hell, when a super angry customer called up and said he'd find me and my family and murder the lot of us and wear my skin as a hat or whatever, I hung up and told my supervisors and they told me I did the right thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

My callcentre not too long ago employed four new people. They're either really awful or absolutely fantastic and there is no middle ground.

Of course nobody wants to hear about decent coworkers so I'll talk about the bad ones. Both of them are terrible in their own way.
One guy has no idea about appropriate behaviour in the workplace, keeps supporting stuff we don't officially support and takes way too long getting things done.
The other guy is just lazy - shift supervisor assigns him work, he either makes a half-arsed effort at doing it or just doesn't do it, then goes home. That and he burns bridges indiscriminately - turns out the day he 'had to leave early because something has a broken and a [plumber|electrician] is on his way right now' actually meant 'Skyrim has broken street date and I must leave right now to collect my copy, head home and play it' and thinks we should be cool with him leaving us in the lurch because he was too impatient to wait a few hours to play a game.

I'm not too bothered by the first guy - most of the initial 'dude is creepy' problems were resolved by talking to him and he's now not as terrible as he was when he originally started. The second guy, however, just won't be told. It's as if he doesn't want a job, he's aware he's on probation and yet keeps doing things that puts him on the poo poo list of everybody who has to work with him.

Hell, even I'm tempted to complain to the shift supervisor because I now have a pattern of 'go to work, see [lazy coworker] hasn't done much of his assigned work, do [lazy coworkers] assigned work, message the shift supervisor indicating I did it, find something else to do'.

froglet fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 1, 2011