Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I started a call centre job a month ago. How long is it until I get traumatised? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nocheez posted:

During my interview I sat in with a veteran rep. The very first call was someone who spoke almost no English, so we contacted the language line for a Japanese translator. It turned out that it was a bank customer who saw our label on a piece of equipment and looked up our number online. It was a very confusing (but not traumatizing) call, so expect a lot of that kind of craziness.

Well it's outbound cold calls so I don't get any of that. Just lots of people slamming the phone down on me :v:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I walked into work yesterday to find that every single friend I had in the office had either been fired or quit overnight. So that kinda sucked. I'm working on a different campaign to the one they were on (we're fundraisers) so I still have a job for now but I'm new so it's hardly stable. I pulled myself back up and got back to it but it's a shame that my job is now just a job and not an opportunity to hang out with my mates as well. I'm just going to keep to myself now and just use my breaks to get some peace and quiet.

Overall I'm actually kind of enjoying this gig. Fundraising makes for a little different vibe to most call centres it seems. There's no dress code (there's one girl who wears crop tops and mini dresses), I get radio in my headset between calls, I get to climb all over my chair all day, the people are fairly laid back, I really enjoy pitching my charity, I get to silently laugh at old racist people and getting a PDD feels amazing. The worst thing is the somewhat misogynistic company culture. Every Friday we have a shouty bloke list off successes and the like and then he ends with a laddy call-and-response bit that's real offensive. One girl I knew ended up quitting because of the culture but she taped this call-and-response thing on her phone and sent it to her temp agency and the charity she'd been calling for on Wednesday. This may well be connected to all the people getting fired on Thursday.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Two of our team leaders got fired for coming into work drunk last Saturday. This place is crazy :stare:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Today I made an old lady cry and then a guy told me I'd interrupted him masturbating :gonk:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The last few days we've been calling data that has been previous marked in our campaign's Call Opt Out and Deaf groups. It has been the worst couple of days I've had in forever. When I told one woman we didn't want to be looking after homeless people again next year she said that was great and there'll be a whole load more homeless people she can donate for instead. THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS :argh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I have an interview for an Operations Administrator role at my call centre on Monday. It's nicer hours (11-7 instead of 1-9), a bit of a bump in pay and a chance to leave the phones behind. Not that I hate fundraising but I spend half my time doing events calls which sucks. The job involves managing rotas, holidays, sickness and other such things. I've done similar work in the past when I was in retail but it was a long time ago and I want to do my best in this interview. Anyone got any tips on things I can do to prepare?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

I have an interview for an Operations Administrator role at my call centre on Monday. It's nicer hours (11-7 instead of 1-9), a bit of a bump in pay and a chance to leave the phones behind. Not that I hate fundraising but I spend half my time doing events calls which sucks. The job involves managing rotas, holidays, sickness and other such things. I've done similar work in the past when I was in retail but it was a long time ago and I want to do my best in this interview. Anyone got any tips on things I can do to prepare?

I got the job! Took my last call yesterday, I'm now in a job that routes me into a career I'm interested in and I'll be doing work that requires actual thought! :toot:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Today I overheard the call floor manager tell one of our team leaders "you cannot take an interest in their personal lives because one day they will turn around and stab you in the back"

He also doesn't want me arranging callers to make up lost hours because that's just rewarding them for being late or calling in sick :psyduck:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Our call centre just gave everyone a survey to gauge employee satisfaction and ask how they can improve. I don't know if our callers will feel comfortable enough to be honest or if anything they say will actually be addressed but bless them, at least they tried :unsmith:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I came in extra early at 8am to make sure all our callers get paid before New Year and found out IT was in the middle of a planned power outage.

Deadline is in 50 mins I am not happy

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Time_pants posted:

Got snubbed for a promotion on Friday. This makes number six over the year-and-a-half I've been working here on top of the countless instances of being blackballed at every attempt to get a title change or anything resembling time off the phones. I don't get it. I've consistently been the top performer month after month (six times over the past 12 months and top three in five out of the other six). I have a loving master's degree.

I got into this line of work after a month of unemployment after moving back to the US from overseas and have stuck around because it looked early on like I was going to be aggressively promoted when I got bumped up to a higher level within the first three months. Turns out that "higher level" basically is a punishment for trying too hard because it's a 7% raise and about double the work. Friday's snub was the last straw. I'm looking for work somewhere else.

In some places if you make a lot of money directly on the phone then you're never getting a promotion off of them. Thanks capitalism!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm free! I got a job working for a charity and I handed in my notice yesterday. Just 17 days of work left! :neckbeard: