Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

mllaneza posted:

Cold calling will do that to you. On the other hand, "How bad is your Internet connection ?" is about as good an opening line as you can have for cold calls. Really. Go find a website full of bad ISP jokes or something, that'll both give you an immediate laugh, which you need, and it'll build up your stock of stuff to talk to people about.

You should be able to get it down to a mild loathing with occasional hives.

This is the truth. I did cold calling for eight hours. One full shift. I was actually calling the alumni of a college for donations to said college and you would not believe the horrible things people would scream even AFTER I told them it was for their alma mater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

That's kind of the vibe, isn't it? They told me to get a doctor's note saying I needed to be allowed to urinate if I wanted to do it more often.
I've worked fast food, retail, one "call center"*, and in offices. Even the worst office job I've had didn't come close to anything I dealt with in retail and such. Of course there are some crap office environments, micromanagers, etc, but that manager is full of it. I've never had someone try to regulate when I used the restroom. The only situation I can think of where that may have happened is if I temped in for a receptionist. Even then it would be to let someone know to watch the lines for a couple minutes. If I call out sick the only thing my boss asks me for is to put up my out of office message.

*deaf&hard of hearing relay, so not quite traditional call center work.

Radbot posted:

As a former call center worker who has graduated to the glorious realm of TPS reports and coversheets, I just want to say to never, ever let call center bosses get you down. Now that I get to decide which contact centers live and die based on my analysis, it really puts the bullshit I experienced in perspective.

Don't give up and don't apply to just call centers. Apply for marketing coordinator and similar positions, learn the ropes, and keep job hopping every one or two years until you're a manager.
Listen to this guy. Apply to stuff you don't consider yourself qualified for and sign up with some temporary agencies. If you have the faintest experience with MS Office, you can probably get an office job.

Swing by the interviewing thread in BFC too. The advice in there helped me get my current job.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 10, 2015