Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Well, you're kind of answering your own question. Oftentimes things can go your way if you're willing to complain enough about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

man thats gross posted:

Any time I bothered to stick around to hear a bit of those conversations, they usually started with "okay sir, I see you're under commitment and it would therefore cost $380 to cancel your wireless line" followed by more yelling and nothing changing. Network operations doesn't start typing faster. The site tech doesn't drive any faster. But multiple people will be made angrier and/or sadder.

Yeah, but you are always listening on on the side of the company. On the other hand, these people know that if they walk into any business and start whining, there's a, say, 50% chance that they will get their way.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

man thats gross posted:

He was from Uganda if I'm not mistaken.

I doubt anything posted is irrelevant in Uganda.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

man thats gross posted:

I'm not sure what this means but, just so we're clear, he was an immigrant from Uganda. I live in Canada.

I wouldn't find it hard to believe that you can buy tech certs from crooked folks just as easily in Uganda as in India.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

blackmet posted:

Also, Good Student Discounts solely exist because they make parents happy. 16 year old "A" student drivers and "F" student drivers are statistically equally crappy. But if you don't offer it, parents get pissy and threaten to move to companies that are willing to still offer it, so, nobody gets rid of it.

Really? It seemed so commonsensical I never doubted its actuarial basis. Is there somewhere laymen can learn about this stuff?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

It makes sense to me, after all a teenager still has a short amount of experience driver, regardless of how well they're doing in AP Calculus. If fact, I would argue that the folks receiving lower grades are more likely splitting up their free time working, and driving there and back gives them more experience.

Yes, but I imagine the thread here is that kids with better grades are more responsible, therefore less likely to take risks, therefore less likely to get into an accident.

And I don't know why an insurance company would consider it a plus that you drive all the time rather than infrequently.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

As far as I've seen you're approaching the issue a little backwards.

It generally works along lines like.

People with X trait over the last X amount of time have crashed\claimed 30% less than people with Y trait.

So they lower that premium to pinch those kinds of people from other insurers.

Other insurers catch wind of it and do the same.

Someone not actuarial notices and comes up with reasons, ie. it must be because X means people are more Z and thus better drivers. The actual pricing makes no comment on why X or Y means someone is less likely to crash\claim, just that it does (assuming they didn't gently caress up and they are using a decent sample).

No, I understand that, I'm just saying the reasoning seems so obvious in the case of grade discounts that I would be surprised if the numbers didn't line up.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

A New Name posted:

Everyone thinks it's the company's job to babysit them and hold their hand through everything and then they get upset when we suggest spending 2 minutes of their incredibly busy lives to check their online banking. If people checked their online banking then maybe you wouldn't have to wait in 40 minute long queues for legitimate issues because Joe Schmoe wants you to read off every check that has cleared in the past year!

On the other hand, you also might not be employed. These annoying dolts keep you at your job in a way.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

blackmet posted:

I don't know this for sure, but I think what happens is that an "A" student is kind of like a 30 year old who gets their license for the first time. A 30 year old who just starts driving isn't any better than a 16 year old that does. The A-B level student and the 30 year old are probably both too timid when they first start, and they both get into a lot of accidents because of this. The D student is probably too aggressive and takes risks and gets into accidents because of that.

The kind of accidents you get into being too timid are not as bad, usually, as the kind you get into for being too agressive. Isn't that the whole reason men pay more than women for insurance?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Yeah, but if everyone who called was polite, calm, and well prepared for the call, do you think they would keep staff levels the way they are now and run at less than full capacity for much of the day, or cut as many folks as they can so it would be just as crowded as it is now?

My instinct from reading this thread is the latter. This thread does have, after all, stories of bosses refusing to compensate workers for 5-minute piss breaks in violation of labor laws.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
So I have an interview at a call center next week. Pay is decent (or for a call center anyway) as it actually requires you to speak Japanese.

Anyway, I've read this thread now and again but I have no idea. What should I expect? The application was an hours-long affair involving a Flash simulation of calls so I guess I have some idea what the work entails but I have no idea how the interview will be.

Also, should I just wear a shirt and tie? I have a sense a full suit might be too formal, but what do I know?

So far the extent of my ideas for preparation (besides the usual reading a bit about the company) is just to brush up on Japanese vocabulary related to this field.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 20, 2011

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Agreed - I can't think of any situation where turning up for an interview in a suit will get you points knocked off - all it should do is let the interviewer know you're taking it seriously.

OK, I'll wear a suit, but I still wonder if anyone could share their experiences.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
OK, I think those answers give me an idea of what I should be thinking about. Thanks.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I had an interview at a call center today and they sounded pretty positive about me, contingent on my passing an over-the-phone assessment of my Japanese skills (I always get worked up about these kind of tests but I usually do well on them so I guess I should be OK). So I guess I may soon be joining the ranks of all the other posters in this thread. :v:

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Welp, got a job at a call center doing tech support basically. Not exactly what I dreamt of doing with my college degree but I guess I do get to use my Japanese skills.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I got chewed out for taking a break that was a minute too long today. I was in the restroom and was having stomach problems. Come on, give me a loving break.

Also, I've only really started taking a lot of calls, but how do you guys taking people yelling at you about a bill they obviously don't understand? It's so draining to talk to some of these people because it seems like nothing will satisfy them except the answer they're looking for. What do you mean it's an introductory rate, or whatever.

The other thing that is killing me is half the people who call me sound like Boomhauer from King of the HIll and I have no idea what the hell they're saying but hopefully I'll get more accustomed to them.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Well, I don't have that problem at least since they have to take all the calls you try to transfer, valid or not. On the other hand you can get in trouble for improperly escalating calls. I just kind of hope that they will threaten to cancel or sue because then you're supposed to transfer.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
So I'm on my second week of almost 100% taking calls. I think I'm kind of hitting my stride, this isn't so bad. I've also been doing pretty well on the customer satisfaction surveys but I guess it won't count for bonuses until the training period's over. Oh well.

I'm amazed by how many people are just completely misinformed by other people when they call in though.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

modeski posted:

You may find it's a mixture of people misinforming customers, but often it's a case of customers only hearing what they want to hear and ignoring anything they don't like.

One tip is to make sure you put good notes in a customer's file. If your call centre has a culture of good call documentation it'll make your life a shitload easier.

Yeah, I try to but we are spread out over several centers across the US and a couple outsourced centers so my capacity to change things is limited.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I have been disabused of the notion that I don't have a very noticeable accent after scores of times asking people "Do you have a dog on your property?" and being asked "A what?" every single time. :sigh:

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I just hate the customer satisfaction surveys. I mean, they keep telling me the trick is working on ways to get rid of the calls within the guidelines, but it's just a little frustrating to get rated as not knowledgeable/helpful and hassled by management because you tell someone they're gonna be ineligible for a rebate or whatever, rather than letting them just buy it and find out later.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Aren't people the least bit embarrassed being grown adults and requesting that their bill due the day after they get their paychecks?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I am also really sick of hearing people explain to me that they are on a "fixed income." Literally everyone is on a "fixed income." I have never met anyone whose income was unlimited.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

modeski posted:

I share your sickness! What they mean is "low income", but obviously are too proud to say it. Bit silly to have that kind of pride at the same time insisting that it's too complicated for them to stay within their overdraft limit.

Yeah, I know what they mean, of course, but it's a grating expression.

The other thing I don't get is the people who put debit cards on automatic payment when they rarely keep a balance on their bank account.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Wootcannon posted:

^Yeah apparently some councils are telling their clients this, I get it quite a lot, but I'd never get away with calling someone out on it that blatantly.

In other news, gently caress this bullshit policy of we'll pay you from 9-5 (or w/e) but you need to be logged on and taking calls at 9 (on our archaic machines that take 6-15 minutes to boot) otherwise you're late. Apparently this is legal in Britain unlike America.

It doesn't really matter whether it's legal; everyone does it.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I haven't been doing this job very long but it's easy to feel like you've been doing it forever. I'm always polite with everyone but it's hard for me to get over the contempt I feel for so many of the people I talk to.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

JackRabbitStorm posted:

I wouldn't mind if I got paid for the 10 minutes it takes for me to boot the machine and load all my programs to get ready for my shift.

My call center lost a lawsuit over this poo poo, so they changed their written policy but did nothing to change their actual policy.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Personally I am happy whenever someone says they will be hiring a lawyer and suing over a $10 fee because that means that I'm obligated to transfer them.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I guess I should be more thankful for what I've got because I interviewed for another call center that was closer to my house today and my reaction was pretty much to run screaming after taking the interview and hearing about their draconian conditions (oh, by the way, we expect you to be here and preparing your desk 15 minutes before your shift, for which we won't be paying you, we will fire you at the drop of a hat, your only break is a 30-minute lunch, etc). Then when I tried to the politely decline the job offer over the phone the recruiter through whom I was introduced kept badgering me about what I didn't like about the job and was really condescending when I said that I thought it was a little extreme for them to say they would fire you on the spot merely for carrying a cell phone into the building. I don't think the call center I work at right now is a very satisfying "career" but it is not as bad as this place would be.

Also it was all delinquent billing all the time, which could get tiresome, I think.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

rolleyes posted:

Wait, isn't requiring you to be at work but not paying you for... you know... being at work hilariously illegal?

Yes, but someone has to file a complaint for anything to be done about it and people don't want to lose their jobs over it.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I would like to trade places with you and become a bank teller.

Also, I am really tired of getting yelled at by people whose cards were declined. I don't work for the bank. You're wasting your energy.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
We had our new shifts for a year announced recently. Right now it takes me like 90 minutes to drive to work and I am there 11 hours. Now I am supposed to make the same trip, except it's 9-8 so I will be in rush hour every day, starting next month. There is no loving way.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

Maybe just speak nicely to your schedulers? It is a massive ballache for them to schedule to meet both the expected demand AND the millions of individual preferences they have to deal with (even worse if the business imposes restrictions like no more than a couple of late shifts a week on even the fully flexible members of staff). You will almost certainly have more luck with "Any chance I could start later/early because..." than you will with "There is no loving way".

Well, I know that. He wasn't here this weekend.

At any rate, I imagine it's more straightforward since it's all grouped by language and there are only 3 people who can take Japanese-language calls.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Harminoff posted:

drat we get to make our own schedules where I work. Don't think I'd work there otherwise.

Really? I thought the normal call center deal was they tell you when you can come, when you can leave, when you can take a 30-second piss break, etc.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Working all consecutive days is a quick way to feel like you want to die.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Harminoff posted:

Not when it's four 10 hour days. Three day weekends are awesome. You can actually take little mini vacations whenever you want.
That's even worse. When you work 10-hour days, especially if you have a commute, you have no time to yourself the days you're working. All you can do is get up, go to work, sleep, and do it the next day. Two days is plenty.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
You know what else is really rich, is the guys who stonewall and rant and waste tons of time, then complain that you're wasting their minutes. If they're so precious, how do you have so much time to bitch about them being wasted?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Or the other rich one is when they have a technical problem and you start giving them the steps to follow and they just repeat the problem. LIke I'm too loving stupid to understand what they said. I can't take all the condescension you get on this job from people who are just are not very smart themselves.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I think "You guys took money out of the account that I put on autopay, and now it's overdrafted! Pay my bank fees!" should also be in the greatest-hits collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Well, gee, I had this down well enough to earn their stupid performance bonuses and now they have changed the QA form and I am failing all of them for not asking "How are you?" or saying "I'm sorry to hear about your problem." Not building enough rapport or whatever. Give me a loving break.