Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

jassi007 posted:

Assuming this was after the FMLA act of 1993, you more than likely had some manner of legal recourse, not that it matters now, but nothing they did was in anyway legal if you had both filed for FMLA leave with your HR rep.

There are enough loopholes in FMLA to drive a delivery truck through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
At my last job, we had 30 minutes break time, 12 minutes to fill out timesheets, read emails, that sort of things, 6 minutes to shut everything down at the end of the day, and up to 5% "slippage time" which we didn't have to account for. In theory these times were spread throughout the day, but one of my co-workers figured that they just check the length of the time, not the actual times, so he would save it all up and just get off the phones about an hour before quitting time.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

hooliganesh posted:

Thanks for the advice/lame troll, corporate boy.

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
-G. Orwell, 1984

He gazed up at the motivational poster. Forty years it had taken him to learn what kind of truth was hidden beneath the bland aphorism. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two coffee-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved QA.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Delorence Fickle posted:

In a government call center, we just forward threats like that to DHS/FBI and they have no problems at all with coming to their place and arresting them on terrorism charges.:911:

Threatening someone after you just gave them your SSN and address is usually a bad idea.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Too Poetic posted:

Just got out of training for a new client. Time between calls is like 15-60. Kill me.

Whiskey in your coffee. Weed in your vape.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

Why the gently caress does the customer know your co-worker's last name?

I use my first and last name while on the phones, nobody's doxxed me yet.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

therobit posted:

If it was a pre- Dodd-Frank loan, they probably didn't. Liar loans were way loving easier to do from start to finish.

Oh man, I worked in a home equity call center in 2002 and it was ridiculous how little checking we did. The process was backed up like 4 months because everyone and their dog was refinancing their house/flip condo/doghouse, though.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

PenguinKnight posted:

I wish that we would just mail out the drat tax forms. It uses paper, yeah but it's better than being slammed with calls where it's either "I want my form mailed out" 5 second calls or "I'm going to eat up a half hour of your time with a password reset because I can't figure out what the % sign is"

e: from today:

"Is there an issue with your website? Whenever I go to your website, it just stays there and doesn't let me in. It says username or password is incorrect"

:catstare:

I wish you would send out your tax forms on time, too.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

blaarghh posted:

I've worked in a call centre for just under a year and it's killing me! Outbound, selling insurance. Being a regulated financial company means no electronics and no paper or pens on the floor, which basically means 99% of things I'd do to keep myself sane are banned. I wish I could colour or read a book or something.
There's like ~30 seconds between each call and since I'm cold calling people it's mostly just negativity, people telling me to gently caress off and get a proper job etc. I'm a sensitive baby and I cry at least once a week.
Management have just recently started massively cracking down on sales targets and time spent off the phone, so excess coaching and toilet/drink breaks have to be made back up at the end of the month.
At the end of this month anyone who achieves less than 70% of their sales target goes into performance management which is basically a long drawn out way of firing us. I'm almost definitely getting like 50% at most because I am bad at sales.
I'm so mentally exhausted that when I get a day off I just stay home and sleep. I'm supporting myself and my partner who is doing a PHD, so I can't afford to leave until I manage to find a job that pays only slightly less. I am so depressed and stressed, I don't even feel like I'm in my own body. I'm not really suicidal but I kind of want to be hit by a car or something so I can get some rest.

These guys are still hiring, despite the current clusterfuck that is the government. Decent pay & bennies, at least until Orrin Hatch has his way, and represented by a union, at least until Orrin Hatch does something about that.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

blaarghh posted:

If my phone rings and it's not a local number or one I recognise, I let it go to voicemail unless I'm literally sat on my rear end doing nothing.

A lot of robo callers use phone number spoofers to mak the calls look local. If a call has the same first couple of digits as your phone number does, it's a call spammer.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Another Person posted:

oh no, this is not a case of "blackmail my way up" and more "the moment i get out of here they are getting raided by a government organisation because this poo poo is hosed". i can count some ten data protection violations.

Oh, good news! The government doesn't care about that. Remember Equifax? They still retained their multi-million dollar contracts with the IRS.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Phones been down for over two hours, oh glorious day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

UZworm posted:

I just started a new Temp call center job and I have the most technologically illiterate group of human beings on earth in my training class. We're 20 hours into training and I think we've done maybe an hour of actual training because these idiots cannot get passwords right, log into any of the systems, anything really. I've done everything successfully on the first try and I feel like ripping my hair out listening to these dipshits hold us back from learning anything. We're actually starting to take calls today and it's not like my position is insanely complex, but I have never been less prepared to start a job than this. We haven't even looked at the phone system yet!

I know :airquote: good help is hard to find :airquote: but considering I'm doing something pandemic-related and there are a lot of important things being exchanged with clients including SSNs and stuff I feel like they should hire people who know how to reset a loving email password and such??

UZworm posted:

Thankfully they hosed up the queues so all of us are just getting calls that aren't in our jurisdiction and we have to transfer immediately; you don't need to be trained for that! :banjo:

This sounds like government work. One thing with government hiring is that they do it on points, and you might get points for stuff unrelated to the job at hand, like "has a degree in something vaguely related" or "got shot in the rear end at Da Nang".