Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I work in a front end retail store for sprint, and I have to say that for the most part when I have to call in to our sales support, it's entirely pleasant. But one time I got a particularly rude rep on the phone who was dismissive, inattentive, did the wrong things on/to the account, and when confronted about it disconnected the call. I had to call back and explain to the next person what had happened - the customer is in the store with me, guy so I have to at least seem upset - and was told they would set up a "training opportunity" for the last agent on the call. I'm pretty sure that whole thing is a bullshit platitude - which is great I don't care - but is it really? What does a "training opportunity" consist of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

you ate my cat posted:

I can't imagine being a jerk to someone who works for the same company I do. I used to email supervisors about 'coaching opportunities' or whatever, but the more escalations work I did the more I realized that nobody cares. That email isn't going anywhere useful. So now unless it's particularly egregious I tell the customer we take it seriously and I appreciate them bringing it to our attention, then generally it ends there. Sounds like you had a legit reason to complain though. Are you able to get feedback sent in from your management team somehow?

Nah, it was so long ago it doesn't even matter. Turnover rate at call centers is pretty high, so the guy might not even be working there anymore.

Also, let me say - I am always polite and friendly to call center guys because gently caress that I don't want that job. But I have a question - do you guys like it when a caller strikes up friendly conversation during the lulls of data entry and research, or is that annoying? Because I like to converse :ohdear:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

So, could "I need to get my average call time down," be the reason every now and then people just get disconnected?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Got an interview with SYKES at home, never done call center work. How badly will this suck?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

AzMiLion posted:

Eh, It's work. you go there, wonder how people are such idiots for 5-8 hours, go back home, drink yourself to sleep.

But honestly, callcenter jobs are't the worst job ever in the average case from my experience. it depends on the type of work(Inbound, yay. outbound, abandon all hope ye who enter here) and the company or org you work for. I currently work for the goverment and it's a pretty good deal so far after bout half a year in.

Soooo, the imporatn question to you is what kind of job is it exactly?

evobatman posted:

When I went to train a Sykes location not long ago, they were still using mice with balls and 14" CRT screens since their policy is not to replace equipment that isn't defective. They were in a "city" in the middle of nowhere with about 2000 people, since they got some sort of tax break there and the people were paid about €2000 per month. The doors at the call center were locked until 8 am, so if you came before, you had to stand outside in the cold. All the cubicles and furniture was old, gray and beige.

Even if your coworkers are the nicest ever and the customers and phone work is nice, I would kill myself if I had to work in that environment and those conditions. It's one of the most depressing things I've ever seen.

It's online chat support for one of the big three phone carriers, and it's from home so I don't have to worry about outdated equipment. I gave it a night, and I think I'll do it. I mean, worst case it'll tide me over until something else comes along, right? ...right?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

evobatman posted:

Online chat support from home is very different from phone support in the beige dungeon of death, since you can do it without pants. What is your payment model? Do you get paid per case, per line you type, per hour or similar? What kind of metrics do you have to deliver on? Do they supply your equipment and internet connection at home, or reimburse you for using your own equipment? What happens if your internet goes down or your computer breaks and you can't chat?

It's per hour. The interview is in an hour or so, I'll be sure to ask those other questions then. Thanks, because they're great questions and I like to ask good questions in interviews.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

First week went by great. I think I'm going to like this job.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

ZeroDays posted:

He ain't speakin' to cunts as far as I'm aware though, he only typin' at cunts, which I'm guessing makes a hell of a difference.

And from home, too!

ratbert90 posted:

Until he develops carpel tunnel and get's fired because his wrists feel like sand. :v:

Text to speech :snoop:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I have mastered the art of replying just slow enough to extend my chats just long enough to take just enough fewer chats to not dilute my sales conversion rates.

None of the other people in this program have sales backgrounds, so I look like some kind of God. :snoop:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I'm being "promoted" to a position on the phones. :negative: why do I have to be good at sales?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Wizard of Smart posted:

I'm being "promoted" to a position on the phones. :negative: why do I have to be good at sales?

HAHA NEVERMIND THE PROGRAM ENDED :rip: time for unemployment.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Gothmog1065 posted:

As long as you're not one of those cocksuckers who go, completely unprompted (after being told it was a bad time and I didn't have the money), to "borrow it from your mom".

Just tell them you wont pay. Not that you cant, but that you wont.

"Can you borrow it from your family?"
"Oh, no I don't need to. I have enough to cover it. I just wont."

"...ok"

This always brightens up their day. So do this all the time.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

SGR posted:

Sounds like it. They're based in Colorado iirc?

I worked for them. For a different program, with AT&T

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

Oh god. Uhh... Lots and lots of books?

One would think books = paper

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

Ya the hosting guys know their poo poo for the most part. Stay away from the sales dudes. They'll try to sell you so much garbage you don't need.(most of them, not all).

Gotta make that bonus somehow.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Hey friends I just wanted to drop buy to say I appreciate those of you and your peers who understands when I call in and say "hey, I've got X problem, I've done Y thing, and I need Z solution" knows how to get me Z without asking if I've unplugged it. That includes field technicians, too. Y'all are the real heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

So that statement doesn't apply to y'all three hth