Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Got snubbed for a promotion on Friday. This makes number six over the year-and-a-half I've been working here on top of the countless instances of being blackballed at every attempt to get a title change or anything resembling time off the phones. I don't get it. I've consistently been the top performer month after month (six times over the past 12 months and top three in five out of the other six). I have a loving master's degree.

I got into this line of work after a month of unemployment after moving back to the US from overseas and have stuck around because it looked early on like I was going to be aggressively promoted when I got bumped up to a higher level within the first three months. Turns out that "higher level" basically is a punishment for trying too hard because it's a 7% raise and about double the work. Friday's snub was the last straw. I'm looking for work somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Just had a sheriff threaten to use his connections with the Ohio State Prosecutor to have our financial institution investigated over a matter of $33 because he was upset the interest being assessed on his credit card (resulting from an oversight on the sheriff's part that I was about to offer to reverse but he cut me off). He asked if I was really willing to subject "my" company to the fill scrutiny of the Department of Justice over $33. I wanted to ask if he was really willing to waste the time and resources of the Department of Justice over the matter of $33. Of course, I thought better of it and offered to reverse it as soon as I could get a word in edgewise. It bothered me because I didn't want him thinking that he got what he wanted because he intimidated me into giving it to him.

But then again, it was lunchtime and it really doesn't loving matter.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

As much as he honestly deserved it, confrontation is my absolute least favorite part of a job I completely and thoroughly hate.

I'm in the wrong line of work. I genuinely wish I had the ability to go to war with the assholes who call in because I don't want to encourage or reward that behavior, but if I can't win by reason, I would rather just move on. By 9AM or so, our queue is usually 200-300 deep or something close to it. I certainly understand the value in pushing back when someone starts trying to douche their way into getting a freebie when they were moments away from getting one just for keeping their mouth shut, but I'd rather just get back to helping decent people who actually appreciate it since they're the ones that make the job even remotely bearable.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Aaaaaaaaaand that's the last straw. I've been putting in to get promoted in like 20 different positions that I'm highly qualified for and the farthest I've gotten was a second interview. I've had two phone interviews with people who never called back despite saying they'd let me know by the end of the week. Everything else has been outright rejection or total silence.

I've had enough. gently caress this job. gently caress this place. gently caress everything and everyone in it. I'm out. Applying anywhere else but a call center starting today.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

I just got my ticket out of this hellhole. It took four months and 38 rejected applications, but my last day being a verbal punching bag for tens of thousands of strangers a year is October 7.

My rear end in a top hat being a sexual punching bag for tens of thousands of strangers a month will not be affected and will maintain normal hours behind the local Dave and Busters and want to swing by and "congratulate" me.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Pure Trance posted:

Congrats! I hope to GOD another group I interviewed with calls me back TODAY. Yeah, it's been about a billion + rejected applications; I've definitely lost track.

Another busy Friday for us, here at the state IT helpdesk. Please God, let it end.

Thanks! I hope you manage to get your ticket out of that hellhole stamped sooner than later. If not, hang in there, man. I experienced a truly spectacular emotional spiral when I kept getting rejection after rejection after rejection, and the list of unresponsive HR reps who told me they'd definitely follow up by (specific date) but to go ahead and shoot them an email if I don't hear back by then kept growing.

Applying for jobs/promotions is just about the most stressful, awful, dehumanizing process that people voluntarily subject themselves to, so I really hope that your experience is a short, successful one.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

UZworm posted:

"What's your name?"
"Chris."
"Chris is a gay name, you know that right?"

Possibly my favorite angry customer interaction of all time.

Compared to names like Aiden, Tyler, and Blake, Chris is basically like impaling three floozies at once on your dick like a shish kebab.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

In response to the question about call center pay, you can actually make decent money at the right places. I worked the phones for a bank in their credit card department and started at $15/hr. I did well and got promoted three months in and got an extra dollar on top of that, and my first annual raise was 5% along with a $1200 bonus. Now, don't get me wrong, that isn't great money, but between that and the overtime, I did alright for myself.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

blaarghh posted:

I'm trying! I've been there for just about a year. It's so hard to find another job that isn't in a call centre though, I feel like I'm trapped forever.

I think this is the hardest part about working in a call center: in the majority of these jobs, you don't actually gain any transferrable skills that carry much weight on a resume or in an interview.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

That poo poo is absolutely revolting. The center that I'm at is in loving Kansas (I always want to die) and we have some employees from the Philippines, India, Russia, Korea, Nigeria, Mexico, Peru, etc., and, my God, the patience these people have would put Jesus Christ to shame.

I don't know how they manage to maintain their composure day after day with all the poo poo they get for the grave sin of answering the phone with an accent. What the gently caress is wrong with people? Alternately, why do all the people who have stuff wrong with them keep calling?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

I got roped back into a call center position from my off-phone position about 6 months ago because the person who interviewed me blatantly lied about the job and my employer refuses to let me go back to my old position.

It motivated me to go back and finally finish a couple of IT certifications I had been studying for. I just got a job offer today. These fuckers in my call center's Management have shown that they have no qualms with firing people for giving their two weeks notice, so I cannot wait to tell them to eat my poo poo the Friday before my new job starts.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

I worked for a call center, in some capacity or another, for 5 years. Did 75-85 hour weeks for most of about 3 of those years. Hated it. It will grind you down to a nub. Taking about 140 calls that are all the same call with 140 different voices isn't hard in the same way pouring concrete is hard, but it is hard in that every day is a test of your fortitude to cope with the monotony, maintain metrics, and survive the 2 to 10 truly bad calls you're guaranteed to get during the course of an average shift.

I will say that, at least for the call center I was at, the pay was fairly good considering that it was work you could do straight out of high school. Just know that anyone you like will be fired, quit, or walk out, that anyone with "manager" in their job title cannot be trusted and will never do anything for you unless it benefits them more, and that anyone who calls in will lie to you and throw you under the bus if they think it will get them what they want.

Five years of working in a call center did more to damage my ability to trust other people than the other 30 years of my life combined. I will say this, though: it was also incredible motivation to bust my rear end at home and at school so I could get a job anywhere else.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

I was actually wondering the same thing. I'm out of the call center game now, but I wonder how my call center is handling things. It was a bank, so maybe it was "essential," but I wonder...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

less than three posted:

I'd take call centre over retail any day.

I mean, that is like saying, "I'd rather have kidney stones than be shot in the belly." You're not wrong, but the "rightness" of the answer is purely an academic exercise.