Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PenguinKnight posted:

gently caress the dumbass superbowl and this dumbass company for blocking any kind of time off the day afterward. i've got a tooth that needs to be pulled and it's driving me insane and then i've had to move the appointment back because of open enrollment and now because of the superbowl :(

Man, that's bullshit. Penguin, if you're injured or otherwise saddled down with a condition that keeps you from properly doing your job, they should be smart enough to lay off you to allow you to heal / go to the doc regardless if the “Big Game” is coming or not.

I've been following the thread for a while now (around 2 years and a half) and while lurking, I started to realize:
  • How loving lucky I was to get out of the call center “game” relatively quick.
  • That despite getting paid way less than most of you guys, my bosses never objected to laying off my back when I was actually injured / needed to get medical attention.
Worked at 2 Call Centers here in Monterrey (México) from 2011 'til mid 2014. Was only on phones for a little over a year, so when the chance to become an On-Site IT allowed me to have better hours, I jumped at the chance. I used to get a bit bent out of shape due to the number of computers and headsets that got destroyed on floor, but after reading some of the horror stories here (and hearing from some of my former co-workers + the guys I did IT for), I can sympathize with you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
As someone who did a long time ago, it's less that it's difficult and more than it gets to be soul-scarring. Even if you're a cantankerous person with zero phone or people skills, getting good at it takes no effort.

Hell, I still mostly dislike talking on the phone for long periods of time unless it's with my loved ones/BFFF's, but thanks to that period of my life taking calls, I did acquire some soft skills. Most interviews have become less an existential cataclysm of untold proportions and more of a friendly exercise in knowing when to shut the gently caress up and let the other person talk.

You basically just need to learn that it's a temporary measure while you get something else going. The moment you get the offer/contract, start looking for other jobs after a month or two.