Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire
I've been working for over a year at a call center that's a little over a year old.

Tell me, does the mandatory overtime ever stop? I don't know how much longer I can do this, I miss my family and friends :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire

Hughmoris posted:

Do you work for a certain nationwide ISP? They seem to be handing out mandatory OT like its going out of style.
Nope, a less than popular mobile phone company.

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire

sbaldrick posted:

Do you work for Bell?
ATT wireless

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire
Anyone else mildly looking forward to Sunday and Monday? Labor Day last year was probably my best day at the company. Back then we were allowed to have paper and pens at our desks though so I could doodle between calls. Maybe I can sneak some comics in or something this time.

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire

Septic Knothead posted:

Y..You're not allowed to have paper or pens at your desks anymore? Why?
I stabbed a guy. But seriously, yeah it's because of CC and SSN numbers. Guess they figure someone who wants to commit fraud can't remember anything up to 16 digits long without writing it down.

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire

Hughmoris posted:

I have just left the clutches of call-center employment. Tonight will be the most peaceful sleep I've had in two years.
Tell us about the awesome poo poo you'll be doing now.

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire

dustbin posted:

I've been working in a call center for about 5 months answering billing and general questions for a satellite company. I find it so frustrating and stressful to enforce company policies that don't always make sense, and constantly breaking bad news to customers (since they always call about lost payments, cut off services, or wanting instant refunds) Plus all my stats are mediocre this week. Even when I feel like I fail most customers as far as actually "helping" them and they make me want to cry, the metrics are what decide whether I'm good or not. And everything is blah. I don't want to play any more.
:saddowns:
you and me both, brother. 18 months here with the cellphones. Everyday before I leave I look at the resignation letter I have in my locker and just try to work up the will. Then I fail and go home. I got a ton of money in the bank, but with the job market what it is in Ohio I just can't convince myself.

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire
These different rules are interesting. Here's a rundown of my center

no writing utensils or surfaces at desk
no electronic device, phones, mp3 players, computers etc
business casual (slacks and dress shirts) except on Fridays and weekends (seems like women can wear anything with a skirt on it)
2 paid 15 minute breaks and an unpaid half hour lunch, but only if you're working more than 7 hours
part time only available for students and the disabled
no offensive language in the building (this one doesn't seem to mean anything to anyone)
software only gives you 20 seconds after call work, and its' not uncommon for your manager to tell you to manually go ready before that's up.

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire
I think I got impetigo from a headset :(
We run out of anti-germ wipes constantly and they don't restock for days. Can't think of a day I didn't wipe this week, though. Maybe I should just bring my own.

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire
What headsets do you get to use? We're only allowed to use VXI Passports. They're kinda crumby.

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire

Pope Guilty posted:

My job provided a very nice Jabra headset which worked poorly, and then it turned out that the software doesn't like headsets which use the jack and wants USB headsets instead (a thing I have never heard of, but okay) and sent me a USB headset that feels absurdly fragile and pulls my hair, so I ordered a $40 "gamer" USB headset off Amazon which is way better and I just use that. Nobody's complained yet.

When the idea was broached earlier we were told we have to use the vxi passports because they have to be a "specific voltage" which is horse poo poo obviously. Since we've gone to wfh I suspect some are using more comfortable consumer models.
I remember 2 years ago I was asked to coach a struggling coworker and after sitting with her for a while I realized she was wearing her headset with no foam. Plastic on skin. I told her they had more foamies at the front desk but she said she liked it better this way.

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire
Are you going to work on New Years? I'm scheduled off for Eve but I'm on for Day. I hope all the mush mouths calling lately are too hung over to talk.

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire
Xmas day for us was almost normal rate of calls. I heard Eve was slow-ish. I don't think we've had a real slow day since June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Chris
Aug 18, 2003
Harleyite Extraordinaire
Labor Day 2009 at AT&T was pretty cool.Think I did 3 calls in an 8 hour day.