Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
The old thread was closed either because it was getting long in the tooth, or because the mods decided they didn't want to hear our whining anymore (if it was the latter, I supposed this thread is doomed from the start). I decided to start a new one because I believe it is vitally important to the mental health of all call center goons, and the physical well-being of anyone within 100 miles of all call center goons, that they have somewhere to vent their frustration and anger.

Most of us have heard it all. Threats to our person, our jobs, our friends, families and pets; Insults hurled by middle-aged professionals that would make the most foul-mouthed bastards on earth blush; People masturbating; People sobbing uncontrollably because a voicemail or text message from a dearly-depart got erased... Oh we've heard it all.

There's nothing quite like getting off work at one in the morning on a Saturday night, and the last words uttered to you by any human being before you head home to try to salvage some remnant of humanity within yourself are "you know what [name]? gently caress. You."

There's nothing quite like someone telling you your career will be over if you don't wake your boss up in the middle of the night to make them speak to an angry customer.

There's nothing quite like ever-escalating goals for your bonus, or if you're really lucky, ever-escalating goals just to not get poo poo-canned (our tier one now need a 119% quality score to qualify for our top tier bonus).

A lucky few from the last thread were even given an opportunity to travel to India to train their replacements, only to find their jobs were gone by the time they returned home.

I've spent nearly two hours programming a voicemail retrieval number with a customer. I've spent an hour setting up a gmail account with a customer. I've spent 20 minutes looking for a single icon on a customer's desktop only to have them throw their phone in frustration, telling me "You don't talk to me like that! I'm a surgeon god dammit!"

That last one made me think.

So share your horrible tales of the hell on earth that is the call center. Or just sit back and enjoy our pain. There's usually plenty to go around.

man thats gross fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

For the handful of people who feel they need to critique my/my company's technique on putting that shoulder back? I'm going to enjoy your pain because gently caress you if you think you'll cause me any. Don't tell me about your children, your asthma, your refrigerated medication. Don't scream and speak down to me. Don't take my professionalism as speaking down to you just because you could barely rub two brain cells together to make this drat phone call. Those truly in need don't behave that way, they understand paying a bill is their responsibility and loving find a way to ensure they keep the power on if that means canceling cable or eating soup for a week. The people that really need me are sorrowful, but respectful.

But you dicks? You fuckwads getting power shut off because you can't handle your life, because you think electricity is a right? You morons who steel power and risk your lives for a few hundred dollars and LIE TO ME about doing it? Count your blessings I can't summon Reddy Kilowatt from the bowels of Middle America to personally ride the lines to fry you where you stand.

This was particularly awesome.

Honestly, when people are nice to me I bend over backwards to help them. Hell, nice isn't even the word for it. Just don't be particularly horrible and you're already a step ahead of the competition.

I'll ask ten different managers until one of them gives you what you want. If someone gets in my face I'll ask one manager, one time, and I'll usually phrase my question in such a way as to induce a negative response.

"We don't swap phones for [this-or-that] reason, do we?"

Gets them every time.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Harminoff posted:

It is very good. Not only does it put a smile on the agents face and make them feel good, but usually the agent will get something for it. Where I work they have a drawing that you get put into for cash.

Yeah, it's a definite good thing at my centre too. Management will usually forward it to the whole floor and senior management, and I believe it's part of our incentive program now as well.

That said, I seem to recall someone in the last thread saying their management didn't give a poo poo about getting kudos from customers and would just give the agent poo poo because speaking to a supervisor made the handle time for that call go over. :(

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Hi, my name is man thats gross and I'm a technological nanny for the mentally invalid.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
:toot:

Here's all the things that don't suck about mu job right now.

I'm tier two now, so I only speak to tier one agents, except for the rare supervisor call and cold transfer.

I get a set bonus at the end of the year which is already bigger than what I could make in tier one killing my rear end all day every day, and only goes up based on our group performance.

Our call quality makes some sort of horrible sense and I've had perfect quality scores since I was promoted in February.

I work with a small tight-knit group of people who are nice to each other.

My manager gets poo poo done. If I gently caress up, she'll let me know and how (I don't gently caress up :smuggo:). If someone else fucks up and I eat poo poo because of it, she'll spoon-feed them a fresh dog turd herself if she has to.

Most of the people I speak to on a daily basis are good at their job and just need a second set of eyes to look at a weird problem or need to be reassured of something they already know but aren't 100% sure on.

Those are the things that keep me going. It's an okay job. Not my life's ambition, but it's a living.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

YOU PUT ME ON HOLD YOU JUST GOOGLED THE ANSWER DIDN'T YOU.

Man, I wish someone would say this to me. Maybe I'm lucky nobody has because I'd probably say something like

"Yes, I searched a few of the key words to your problem in google and came up with a solution. It was really easy. A child could do it. Anything else I can do for you?"

And then get poo poo-canned for treating an idiot like an idiot.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Customer complaining he has no service on the Trans-Canada Highway. Says it doesn't matter where he gets on or gets off.

The TCH spans over 5000km.

When I asked the agent to have him to narrow it down, he gave me two different towns which, when I ran a search, I determined were just a hair shy of 500km apart.

:sigh:

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Harminoff posted:

... we now get paid for 0 breaks ... Anyone work for them and can tell me what I'm in for?

A bunch of illegal poo poo.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Harminoff posted:

Most states it isn't required that you are paid for breaks. It's not even required that you are given a break. I don't know why everyone thinks otherwise.

Key word. Sorry I just assumed you guys had same labour laws as well. :canada:

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Actual question and correct answer from when I was trained two years ago:

When are you permitted to transfer a customer to tier 2?

A. If a manager gives you permission.
B. If a tier two agent gives you permission.
C. Never.

Policy as of this morning:

When is tier two allowed to refuse a customer transfer from tier one?

A. There are no other options. loving never.

God loving dammit. Worst part is I think this goes way over all of our heads. I can scream at my manager until I'm blue in the face and I don't think she has a god drat choice in any of this. High-level maneuvering at it's god drat worst.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

zero0ne posted:

I thought I'd chime in and say that I do IT for a larger Call center, I doubt anyone has questions.

What do some of you call center employees think of your co-workers? I mean if you are posting here on SA, you know how to use a computer, so what do you think of your "I can't use a mouse" co-workers and such?

I wish management fired people for their incompetence. That's pretty much the long and short of my opinion on the matter.

How are your call centers IT group(s) setup? Do you feel this has been working well with regards to meeting your needs as an agent on the phone?

Our IT is broken into the phone support which was outsourced to India and doesn't know anything, and the people in the next building who actually fix our computers when we finally get phone support to open a ticket for us.

Do you have the ability to IM (vs raising hand or clapping to get your supervisors attention)? If you do, are you also allowed to freely chit chat on the IM system with your co-workers?

We do, but we hardly use it. It's generally easier to just walk over to someone then to try to get their attention in an IM client. Plus, everyone who know anything works within 10 feet of me. The tier two who are out of province don't know jack, and while I'm sure they'd love the ability to IM us to ask us questions, none of us feel like logging into an IM client for the exclusive purpose of answering their dumbass questions.

Pens / paper / cell phones on the floor, allowed?

Well we do wireless support sooooo...

Are you allowed to decorate your desk as you see fit? Do you share your desk with anyone else? Assigned seats? or are you regularly swapping seats and such and don't really have a set seat on a day to day basis?

We have assigned desks, but tier one doesn't. We can decorate to our heart's content as long as we're not pasting competitive flyers and adverts everywhere.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Jesus Christ I am sick of these lying sack of poo poo agents who keep calling in from the Retard department.

"I did blah blah blah, I checked the SMSC number, it was okay..."

(For the uninitiated, the SMSC number is the phone number of the service centre wireless phones sent SMS messages through. If you have the wrong number program, poo poo don't work)

So I ask "what was the SMSC number set to?"

"Well, basically (this is always a warning sign; bullshit invariably follows) the customer couldn't find it, but I read them the number in our KB and they said it was the same on their phone."

"How did they verify that if they couldn't find it?"

"Well, do you know where it is on this phone?"

:suicide:

---

"They already tried it on a different phone and it did the same thing."

"What model phone?"

"The Sony M55"

I look at the customer's equipment page, there is a Siemens M55 dated from 2002 which reads as "SIE M55" in our system. Generally, Sony devices read "SE". An easy enough mistake to make if you're grabbing the info from our billing system, but not if you actually ASK the customer.

"The Sony M55?"

"Or the uhh... it was a Nokia... I think... No, the Sony."

"Did the customer tell you this?"

"No, I got it from the equip page."

"So how do we know if this is the handset they tested with just now just because it's on their equipment page?"

"... I apologize."

Fuuuuuuuuuuu-:suicide:

I have to wrench every last loving piece of information out of these incompetent loving nitwits. They just read their troubleshooting tool verbatim -- nevermind whether they actually loving followed it or not -- and give you every answer they think you want to hear to try to get rid of the customer faster by getting us to create another bullshit escalation to add to our mountain of poo poo tier one agents from other departments I deal with could fix while in a loving coma.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
We're getting 2x for any overtime because of the iPhone 4. And I'll be adding another 1.5x to that on the holiday Monday since it's normally my day off so it's overtime and holiday pay.

I am making so much money but I want to die. I took 106 calls last night.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
A quick example of the level of English proficiency possessed by most of the agents I support.

:what: What's the customer's wireless number?
:byodood: Nokia 2720.

:what: What device is the customer using?
:byodood: John Smith.

I've had these exact exchanges multiple times with multiple agents. This was my personal favorite exchange:

:what: Is this issue occurring everywhere or only in a specific location?
:byodood: The customer is at home.
:what: Okay, but does this happen everywhere or just in one location?
:byodood: ... They're at [reads me the customers address].
:what: Okay. We've established they are currently located at their home address. (slowly and clearly) Does the problem they are experiencing occur everywhere, or only at this or any other specific location?
:byodood: Location? What's that?

That's when I gave up. How the gently caress am I supposed to help you if you don't understand a single god drat word I'm saying? I didn't ask you for the customer's modus operandi or to briefly explain the history in phrenology in the United States. I asked you whether the problem you're loving calling me for assistance with is happening everywhere or in one or more specific loving locations.

These people have no loving business being anywhere near anything more complex than a string with a ball on the end of it, let alone an honest to god telephone.

Oh, and let's not forget this ungrateful little oval office: I let her put me on hold THREE loving TIMES to get info she should have had before she called us. Do you want to know how many times I am supposed to allow these agents to put me on hold? ZERO. I let her put me on hold INFINITY MORE TIMES than I was supposed to. I only hung up the third time because she had surpassed the two minute hold limit which DOES NOT EVEN APPLY TO HER GROUP BECAUSE THEY CAN'T PUT US ON HOLD IN THE FIRST PLACE. Not only that, but upon reading her case notes after I hung up, my suggestion SOLVED THE CUSTOMER'S ISSUE.

So pardon me for being a little god drat bitter that she sent FEEDBACK to me and my manager stating I was IMPATIENT AND UNHELPFUL.

These loving people.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Sounds like a paranoid schizophrenic off her meds, to be honest. It's exceedingly common for them to blame their families of spying on them, conspiring against them, stalking them, etc.. Whereas someone not suffering from a mental illness might not be so inclined to repeatedly tell total strangers about their daughters hacking their computers and spying on them. I know way too many people who have to deal with that poo poo... :(

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Aerofallosov posted:

Most call centers are barely paying enough to live on. At least, here anyway.

Depends on the company. If you're first party, you're more likely to make a decent living. I was making minimum wage in a kitchen and almost doubled my salary went I went to a call centre.

Double your salary, double your misery.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

How in the gently caress is that legal? You're there as an employee, you should get paid for your time. If people are leaving halfway through in this sort of economic environment, maybe it isn't the employees that are causing the problems.

I don't think it's exactly unprecedented for companies to hire people with a simple contract stating that you agree to work for x amount of time as a condition of your employment. You leave early, you've breached the contract, and suffer the consequences. The most likely consequence would be forfeiture of your earned wages or some portion thereof. I suppose the only sticking point here is that they're withholding until your contractual obligations have been fulfilled, rather than providing you with said wages and attempting to recollect them if you breach the contract.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

sbaldrick posted:

Isn't that the reason the original SITEL when bankrupt and basically got taken over. I know that's why a bunch of call centre's left Canada, because they got bitchslapped by labour boards.

Funny story, when I got hired I was the only person not from Sitel or ClientLogic in my class. It was pretty much the training grounds for us. People who worked there usually saw a job as tier one tech support at my company as "making it".

Granted, it is a step up in wages and benefits, but holy poo poo was that a depressing thought a year into that job. :smith:

As to the labour laws discussion, I'll have to say I'm clearly out of my element on that one. Thanks for filling me in.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
God I'm starting to crack up. Supporting our agents is turning out to be such a holy pain in the rear end. It wouldn't be so bad if management didn't expect us to treat them like "customers" for some loving reason. They're EMPLOYEES. If they gently caress up a call and I tell them why, why is it I get in poo poo for being a big meanie but nothing happens to them for being unable to do their loving jobs?

It was easier with customers because I had no expectations. Don't know how to fix some random JVM error on a blackberry? Don't expect you to, it's not your job. But when it IS your job to fix loving phones, and you've been doing it twice as long as I have, I expect you to be able to do the loving basics before you call. And when you repeatedly call for the exact same poo poo all the time, I'm eventually going to run out of loving patience.

So many loving sensitive babies in this place. My manager received four complaint about me on Saturday. Friday I was given a certificate for getting 100% on every single QA I've had since I took this job in February. loving Christ...

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

alreadybeen posted:

Were the reps making these rules up on the phone? It seems ridiculous to have to wait days before getting refunded back after they double billed and even more ridiculous you can only back out the last transaction.

On this point, I think I can safely answer in the negative. You would be shocked, shocked at how finicky call centre billing applications can be, and at how inane most policies are.

Like, we spent millions of dollars on our ticketing app, and continue to pay for ongoing improvements and support. When we first received it, it was a glorified web page, and replaced a ticketing system which was an actual web page that also happened to be about a thousand times more reliable and user-friendly. It took ten times longer to do everything.

Our billing system dates back eons and makes absolutely no sense, but it usually works. I don't want to complain about it though, since if it is ever replaced it will be with something much, much, much worse. There's so much poo poo you can't do, unless you know some secret "trick" that you don't learn about in training, but rather learn or don't learn when someone who knows said trick notices you don't and tells you about it.

It doesn't make sense...

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Ha - I've been one of the "OR I'LL CANCEL" guys before, but I go and do the research beforehand so I know that I actually CAN get a better deal somewhere else. With my phone/cable/internet company I usually just quote two or three other deals I've seen somewhere else that are better and I get a better deal. And I try not to be a dick about it too, which probably helps.

From what I hear, some people schedule themselves regular calls to telcos to renegotiate their price plans with cancellations. Say you want to cancel, tell cancellations you can get x, y and z with so-and-so, they knock $5-10 off your monthly statement, rinse and repeat until you've got the richest wireless plan in the known universe.

That I get. That I have no problem with. But threatening to cancel because the tech support agent who spends all day answering phones can't magically fix a region-wide outage two provinces away... I just don't understand that mindset. It's completely irrational. It's not going to get fixed any faster, you're just going to ruin your day and the day of a few strangers on the phone by whining and complaining like a petulant child.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Well, you're kind of answering your own question. Oftentimes things can go your way if you're willing to complain enough about it.

Any time I bothered to stick around to hear a bit of those conversations, they usually started with "okay sir, I see you're under commitment and it would therefore cost $380 to cancel your wireless line" followed by more yelling and nothing changing. Network operations doesn't start typing faster. The site tech doesn't drive any faster. But multiple people will be made angrier and/or sadder.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Yeah, but you are always listening on on the side of the company. On the other hand, these people know that if they walk into any business and start whining, there's a, say, 50% chance that they will get their way.

Yeah, you're right... This is something which has always bugged the hell out of me. I try my best to give good service to people who are polite, or at least not overtly hostile, as politeness appears to be a rarity these days, and do only what I am required to when people start treating me like poo poo. It's not a perfect solution, and I'm sure it's more than a little immature, and there are always going to be supervisors who will make me look like an rear end, but I just couldn't stand knowing I was part of the reason people kick up a stink whenever they want something. It creates an atmosphere of hostility and animosity between customers and employees and puts us all in a combative frame of mind, rather than a cooperative one.

"Is there anything you can do to help?" has gotten a lot of people to get me to bend over backwards trying to figure out a way to get them to the front of the line. "You get this phone working NOW!" has only ever yielded stonewall after stonewall from me.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Best call of the day.

Guy calls up, dumped into my queue, doesn't have an account with us, bought some phone off some guy and wants us to perform some unmentionable service which we only perform for existing customers who meet a litany of requirements. First among said requirements, you have to be a customer. I explain this ad nauseum.

His parting words were "I guess I'll just go to the [company] store so I don't have to deal with idiots like you."

I wish wish wish wish WISH I could be a fly in the wall in that store when he finds out that our stores couldn't do what he's asking for even if they wanted to, and that of the thousands of people we employ, only about a dozen of us can do what he's asking, all of them are within spitting distance of myself, and not a single one of them will lift a finger unless he opens up an account.

The primary reasons being that we CHARGE MONEY for the service he's asking for, we CAN'T waive the charge under any circumstances, and YOU NEED AN ACCOUNT IN ORDER FOR US TO CHARGE YOU.

Of course, I could have told him all this and even suggested some of the most cost-effective ways he could get what he wants if he hadn't called me an idiot and hung up on me. :smuggo:

Edit: On an even more positive note, I may be poised for a position in product management if I play my cards right. I thought I was out of the running, but got a promising voicemail out of the blue. Please god let this be my ticket off the phones.

man thats gross fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 11, 2011

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Well, I did it. I interviewed last Monday, and got an offer over the phone today. I'll be starting on the 4th.

I can't even express how happy I am right now. I am leaving the call centre for a real job. I won't have to commute for two hours every anymore. I won't have to take phone calls anymore. I won't have to talk to assholes who rip me a new one for following policy. I'll be writing the god drat policies.

I have to say, as much as this place hurt me some days, I had a chance to show what I could do and managers that actually encouraged and helped me to succeed. I have a few years of college, but no degree, and no certs. Before I started here I was making $10 per hour in a bar kitchen. I was barely making ends meet every month, and I was living at my mom's paying like $300/month in rent.

This is going to be a hard job, but I'll finally have a chance to put my thumbprint on something. I can't loving wait.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Loving Life Partner posted:

What's the seasoned pro procedure? If you got any problem talking consider the day a lost cause? Ugh.

Depends on management. Most won't mind if you show and leave early, since it will probably be pay-minus rather than paid sick time. Some are dicks either way.

I'd recommend going home if you don't think it'll cost you your job or anything.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Check what the policies are as well. My company has a policy of moving to disciplinary procedures if you have more that four occasions OR 20 sick days total in a rolling 12 months. If the workplace is like that, make drat sure you're better before you come back or you could wind up with two occasions instead of one occasion lasting 3 days.

I got a write-up for taking four days off in a row. Four days count as short-term disability. The short-term disability stooges called me, I told them the doctor I saw, the prescription they gave me, the dosage, what was wrong, what my average day was like, etc., and they said based on our conversation and history, my STD claim was good.

I still got a write-up because >3 days off every quarter = write-up. Even if they were all in a row and qualified as STD, or even LDT, apparently it's still a write-up. My supervisor said it was bullshit because I never take time off and she knows it, but it's still a write-up.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Well that's pretty lovely.

Honestly, before they implemented this, I was constantly hearing "I'm gonna try to get Saturday off to go douche-bagging" and three days later "I couldn't get Saturday off, I'm just gonna call in sick." Meanwhile I, like a sucker, used sick days when I was sick. Eventually management got sick of it and decided to swat the fly with a sledgehammer, as it were. I mean, poo poo, nobody wants to work weekends, but you tough that poo poo out because it's your god drat job.

I agree, it's lovely, but I'm honestly not surprised it came to this.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

ZeroDays posted:

You probably increased his average call handling time and caused him to get his rear end kicked by his supervisor.

I'm glad I never had management bust my rear end on handle time. I was taught I should learn to fix the issue properly, and with experience I'd learn what works and what doesn't and lower by handle time that way. Works too, you just have to be willing to have agents with less-than-stellar numbers for a few months.

I never really minded a bit of small talk with customers. It made me feel like a human being.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

do any of you have middle-aged foreign co-workers whose grasp on English sucks?

Abso-loving-lutely. If you're a tech-inclined new immigrant who speaks okay English and, as is often the case, has a degree that no one will acknowledge, a call centre is a decent place to work.

I'm pretty sure some of these guys are completely full of poo poo though. There was this one dude in my original training class who claimed to have certs and degrees out the rear end, but he barely passed the training tests (and only because I helped him), and couldn't troubleshoot worth a loving at a rolling donut. He would basically get customers to power cycle their phones and yell at them until they gave up and called back. Somehow he got away with this for nearly three years. Eventually he was fired for the completely unrelated fact that he was blatantly watching porn at work, as witnessed by half a dozen agents and one manager.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

rolleyes posted:

I don't know what certs he was claiming to have, but in Asian countries (e.g. India) it's really not hard to get hold of Microsoft certs (MCTS, MCPD, etc) without even turning up. Certainly in India if you can't find a test centre corrupt enough to just sell you one then you can pay people to go take the tests for you.

He was from Uganda if I'm not mistaken.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

I doubt anything posted is irrelevant in Uganda.

I'm not sure what this means but, just so we're clear, he was an immigrant from Uganda. I live in Canada.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
My favourite "scammer" was the guy who kept calling us to do some work on like 16 different phones on a handful of different accounts. He had a thick Indian accent but half of his accounts were under names like "Henry White" which is where the eyebrows started a-raising.

Eventually me and the team had a list of all the serial numbers of all his devices and all the accounts he was up on and start cross-referencing pretty much every call with our list.

After about a week of inactivity, he came back (we found out thanks to our list of serial numbers) under a woman's account using a voice modulator to raise the pitch of his voice. It was the funniest god drat thing I'd ever heard.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
CALL CENTRE LIFE IS OVER! FREEDOM 28! WOOOOOOOO!!!

I am officially the gently caress out of here. Goodbye cruel customers; I'm going corporate!

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

less than three posted:

Hooray! You can check into this thread as soon as possible. :haw:

Hey, it's right there in the first paragraph. Great! :haw:

edit: I just read the thread title. :(

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Yeah, but if everyone who called was polite, calm, and well prepared for the call, do you think they would keep staff levels the way they are now and run at less than full capacity for much of the day, or cut as many folks as they can so it would be just as crowded as it is now?

My instinct from reading this thread is the latter. This thread does have, after all, stories of bosses refusing to compensate workers for 5-minute piss breaks in violation of labor laws.

Yeah they would absolutely cut staff if call volume went down and stayed down. Particularly if you work in a zero-revenue department like tech support. Like, on some level they all understand that without tech support other telecoms will leave you in the dust because your service sucks, but on the other hand, when push comes to shove they still see you as nothing but a big red number.

Honestly though, I would have loved to see about half the staff at my old centre cut. One woman in particular really drove this point home for me. She calls tier two early in the morning, tells me a customer is getting no service in one particular location, other customers have the same issue, their devices work elsewhere, and we've already replaced her phone and SIM card to no avail. I tell her that sounds like a problem with the network in that area and to escalate a ticket. Three hours later she calls back for another customer in a different location with THE EXACT SAME loving SYMPTOMS and I tell her to do the exact same loving thing.

poo poo like this happened all the time. We hire people and if they can make it past 90 days we won't ever fire them unless they do something like get caught looking at porn on their computer.

Hell, even though I'm out, I still hear about this poo poo. I was on a conference call and one of the managers said a bunch of his agents were complaining about the lack of documentation on some Nokia device. I look at our documentation and there's EVERYTHING there. Programming the voicemail number, the SMSC, master reset, hard reset, a diagram to insert SIM and MicroSD, a bunch of common troubleshooting scenarios, a link to a device simulator, and a PDF of the manual. They just don't know what the gently caress they're doing...

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Lord Windy posted:

"Restoring the iPad as new" isn't going to help me when the customer's problem is that he was experiencing ridiculously long sync times when it came to syncing books across.

Sorry, but how do you know this? You said yourself you don't know how to resolve the problem, how do you know what won't resolve the problem?

Lord Windy posted:

Yes, we've tried a new cable. Yes, we've tried resetting Sync History. Why yes, you mean you aren't going to help out despite me telling you I did know what to do.

Anyone who's worked in tier two for more than an hour knows that you can't take this poo poo for granted. I'm sure we don't work for the same company, but I guarantee a shocking number of your colleagues don't do poo poo before they throw their hands up and call tier two.

Lord Windy posted:

Ok fine, I spend the next 40 minutes trying to work out how to help him transfer the last 2000 books of his 15000.

Well there's your problem.

Lord Windy posted:

It's been 70 minutes now, the man has requested for someone higher up and I'm begging for help on how to speed everything up. Don't try to worm your way out of it again and give me no help, do your job and take ownership of the call and be thankful I didn't call over my manager to deal with you.

There isn't a 'Turbo' button in iTunes that will make it sync faster. Assuming the sync time is actually longer than it should be given he's syncing 15,000 loving books, it's either a hardware fault or a software fault. It could also be a corrupt file or two, which is pretty loving likely since I doubt those 15,000 books were all legitimately obtained.

Honestly, one of my biggest peeves when I was in tier-two was the sense of entitlement from a lot of tier one reps. I mean Christ, April 20th you finished your training, April 28th you're bitching about how "useless" tier two is. Throughout your rant you go back and forth between crying "I don't know what to do" and "I already did everything you're suggesting, plebe". Make up your mind. You don't get to be both the clueless newbie and the all-star super-agent.

Tier two isn't there to take over for you when your call gets too long. You tell me you want me to take over because you've been on the call for an hour, I'll tell you to go tell your manager your handle time requirements are too hard.

And that last sentence really makes you come off as a total poo poo.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Lord Windy posted:

Nah, you guys are right. I was being an entitled poo poo. I can't defend myself from that.

I just came home angry and gushed. My only real gripe is that my first escalation didn't really end well, I got poor advice about restoring as new to rule out a hardware issue and not to call back unless I had done that. I don't think I was being a dick here, I was just asking on how to proceed like I've done in the past.

Upside, I know how to do it next time. But I'll step back and think about how I'm being a little poo poo from now on.

I'm genuinely shocked at this post. Seriously, good on you.

Edit: Truth be told, very few issues are as simply as "if x do y". A lot of it is process of elimination. I know it sucks being told to restore as new when you don't think it'll help, but unless you've had this exact issue before and tried it, you can't say for sure. The only thing worse than restoring as new and having it not resolve the issue is not restoring as new, escalating a ticket, and having a ticketing agent restore a customer's phone a week later and fixing the issue, then sending your manager feedback because you skipped a basic troubleshooting step.

man thats gross fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 29, 2011

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Lord Windy posted:

I am really sorry about that earlier post, I was acting like a little child.

I did much better today, 4 positive peer reviews with all of them listing me as very helpful and enthusiastic along with one from a customer compliment saying how I was extremely patient and helpful in solving his iPhone connectivity issues.

So an improvement on a bad day.

Awesome feedback!

Honestly, we've all had bad experiences calling tier two. I still remember calling in and being told to check a setting that wasn't actually present on the device I was calling about. I had to look it up to be sure, but by then I had already disconnected. A few days later, same problem, same device, call tier two, same agent, and he gives me the same advice. I told him that I'd checked, and that setting wasn't there. He asked me to go back to the customer and have them check. I asked him where it was supposed to be. I went back to the customer and had them read off every single option in that section, wrote it down, and read it back to tier two verbatim. He told me to check a few other things and escalate.

And really, you'll find a lot of tier two agents that really don't deserve the title. I remember one guy who had to go back and take the tier one training. Of course he didn't actually get demoted to tier one or anything...

Another thing, I was expected to take twice as many calls with half the handle time of tier one. So whenever someone asks me to take over a call for them, I will absolutely fight it. There are rules which dictate a legitimate supervisor call to tier two, and I could quote them from memory. I had to. People would call us to take over all sorts of bullshit, long calls, sup calls for other departments, customers they're just sick of dealing with...

There was also one group of agents where it was basically my job to make them do their job and catch their lies. Half of them could barely communicate, and none of them would do poo poo. It got to the point where I would ask each of them three individual times what troubleshooting they did, so that when I told them that nothing they did was part of their troubleshooting for this issue, which they're supposed to do prior to calling me, they couldn't claim "oh I did that too". The smart ones would do nothing, open up their troubleshooting tool, and just read to me the steps they didn't actually do. Of course, a lot of what they were supposed to do leaves a trace in tools which they don't know how to use properly, so I was constantly policing them by checking these traces. 80% of my calls with these idiots was ten minutes of detective work, and would end with "follow the steps in your troubleshooting tool, goodbye".

Just wanted to give you a bit of perspective from the other side of the phone. We put up with a lot of poo poo, and a lot of lazy and/or incompetent agents. It was shocking, because I was like you, and I expected most other agents were too. What a shock it was to see just how wrong I was. I always tried to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but you start to really lose faith in your colleagues when the first 2 hours of your shift get eaten up by three bullshit supervisor, and you spend the rest of your day telling people to follow the troubleshooting they're supposed to do before calling you. Every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

dustbin posted:

How does this tier 2 position work? At the call center I work at, everyone's in a team with 2 designated supervisors that are there to answer questions and other administrative things, and only take over calls if a customer demands to speak to them. I never speak to another agent over the phone; if I need help on a call, I ask in a chat program or put the customer on hold and ask someone in person.

At my job it was a designated group broken into the agents that answered calls from tier one, and the agents who actioned escalated tickets. So the phone support tier two basically helped to track outages and identify trends, provide advanced troubleshooting steps, verify info, take over "technical" escalations (being a TECHNICAL call centre, we caught no end of bullshit that other departments didn't want to handle because the root of drat near every call we took was technical, although the reason for escalation usually wasn't), and probably a few other duties I'm forgetting.

In principle it should have been better than tier one because you're no longer on the front lines. In actuality, the fact that 99% of the people I spoke to were lazy, incompetent, and worst of all, would send negative feedback to my manager for no reason other than following written policy or telling them to do their loving job, meant I was burning out in record time. Seriously I lasted two years in tier one, and when I was promoted it was like "lalala, comin' to work, oh I got tier two? Really? Cool!" When I got promoted out of tier two it was more like "oh thank you baby Jesus I was a week away from the story of my life ending with 'before turning the gun on himself.'"