Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I work for a decent sized utility company on the west coast and I have to say it is much better than retail ever was.

I do inbound customer service/billing adjustments/general inquiries/routing of new construction/work requests, crap like that.

Pay is more than twice what I was making working retail and the pay scale has you end about 8/hr higher than you start with in training, I know this is not common at all though.

I take probably 80 calls a day on average, most are pretty boring but occasionally we get some good shadyness going on. People trying to use their small children's social, people wondering why they were cut after not paying for several months, then saying they were never made aware of that fact and demanding we restore it this second with a $0 upfront payment on their several hundred dollar balance, and then the crazy people. Oh god, the crazy people.

You know you are in for a rough time when the caller opens the call with "Have you seen that Gene Hackman movie Chinatown? well I think something like that is going on, I've upset a local business owner and he's trying to get revenge."

The craziest, though, was this woman who sounded normal enough, calling to see why her bill was so high the previous month. Those calls usually get set to auto pilot as I start with "well it's been very hot in Utah this month what sort of air conditioning do you have?" type questions. But no, not this woman, she got real weird real fast.

:v: :"I wonder if you could send someone to check my meter, I can't read it because it's a duplex and the meter is in the neighbors yard"
:shobon: :"oh okay, yeah I can send someone out, that's odd."
:v: :"I want to see if it can be moved. My neighbor is an agent working for the FBI and they're using magnets to speed my meter up. Also I think the reason my bill has been so high is because every night people in the neighborhood break into my house and torture me with devices that use a lot of electricity. When George Bush was in office I was blackmailed by him and Dan Quayle and a sex tape was made and distributed by them to every head of state in the country and in other countries. They were told that if they didn't take the tapes the same thing would happen to them. I know that the local police are also involved and they allow the torture using the electrical devices that burn my arms and my face and that is why my bill is so high so I need you to move my meter"
:shobon: : :psyduck:

also once a year for the last 3 years I've worked here I've gotten a call from a woman on the oregon coast who talks to me, without pause, for about an hour and tells me all the terrible sad things that have happened to her in her life including such gems as the time her and her 3 poodles all got giardia because she couldn't afford to get the leak in her roof fixed resulting in her having to poop in a plastic trashbag because she couldn't get to the bathroom in time.

so...yeah, I'd recommend working in a call center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Zo posted:

I put someone from a call centre on hold today (while setting up a conference call). It was awesome. I wish I could put you guys on hold everyday. She got me back afterwards though, and put me on hold for like 10 minutes, which counts for double points since there were two of us :(

I wish I could be put on hold every day. It means I'm getting paid to do nothing at all and there's nothing wrong with that.