Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I haven't worked for a call center in 10 years... And tomorrow starts my 6-week training period for the call center I got hired to. I have a feeling I'm going to be ranting in here soon. I'll be working for a company that handles Verizon's billing & support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

alreadybeen posted:

Does it matter / do you guys appreciate if I hang around at the end of the call and answer the four question survey?

For my job it does. I work for a call-center outsourced to Verizon Wireless. That survey is what makes my bonus pay. It goes like this:

You call in with a problem and opt in for the survey.

I fix your problem after a few moments.

You take the survey, and they ask if the problem was fixed during your call.

You say "yes", and I get an "FCR", or First Call Resolution.

The more of these I get, the bigger my bonuses are as well as my future pay raise.

Plus, evidently, if outsourced call-centers that work for Verizon Wireless don't meet the standard set by each of them (75% FCR average) per month, the call-center has to pay Verizon Wireless around $23,000 per month.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
This isn't so much a rant as it is a nice comment for once.

I now work in a call center and I'm working for a company that drives VWs and dresses like nerds. Obviously I had to sign the whole internet nondisclosure BS as well, so I can't mention names, but I actually LOVE this job. I get to enjoy all the caffeine I can handle, I don't really have to worry about call times, and the best thing is if someone wants to speak to my manager, they'll actually get one. They say those magic words "let me talk to your supervisor" and the call automatically gets transferred to one. Plus the pay isn't too shabby either. However the best thing is my schedule. I get weekends off, no matter what.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
After re-reading that, I could see what you meant. No, I mean I no longer have to deal with pissy customers and trying to "de-escalate" supervisor calls. Not that they bother me, but in the end it's a little less bitching I have to deal with :)

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Welp, found out yesterday that I now have to wear a uniform of sorts for work. They're ordering us polos and we have to wear khakis or black pants with them. In a call center. That sees no one but fellow employees. I just keep being reminded of this commercial.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
So I do believe I set a record for the longest call in my center. 4 hours and 26 minutes. Why? Because a lady wanted her network password. When I get a call, I pretty much run through a standard checklist of things I can & can't do via telephone. Right now it's limited as hell. They even took away my access to Microsoft's KB because it was "too involved" for our tier of support. Anyhow, the lady wants her network password. Not a problem, as our techs set it up a year ago and it should be in the notes on her account... Oh wait.

The tech didn't put it in there. Nor did they write it down for her. So I spend about 20 minutes going through our list of default passwords, and nothing works. I'm about to send her to tier 2 who CAN handle this via remote access (but she'd have to pay for it), when I pull up her receipt from when she paid for the techs and there's this archaic, found once-in-a-blue-moon protection plan. She paid $99 and now has unlimited remote access for life.

So I transfer over to the online remote support dept. They keep dodging me because the plan is not in any systems, nor does it have a reference number to bring it up. So my supervisor decides to take over the call. she jumps through every hoop that the remote dept throws at us for "information and proof" of this plan. We even send them via e-mail a digital copy of her receipt proving she purchased the plan.

We get put on hold for 45 minutes and never get picked back up. So we call again and the same thing happens. We call again. And again. The lady finally hung up after 4 & a half hours. I walk out the building at 12:30 at night. My shift was supposed to end at 11:00 p.m. All for what could've taken online 3, maybe 4 minutes, tops.

So fair warning. Sometimes those of us on the other end of the line are fighting for you, we just get dumped on as well.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Just a little note: If you have just purchased an iPad, try syncing it to iTunes before calling me complaining how it "doesn't work because the screen is black with this little plug thingy on the screen". I received no less than 15 calls about this today, and you will not believe how many people informed me that they didn't know they needed iTunes and will be taking it back for a refund :(

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Speaking of programs, how many do you guys normally have up?

I'll usually have our handy-dandy all-in-one program that lets me manage our on-site tech calls, scheduling tech appointments, account info of our clients, and more boring stuff. And if individual windows in IE count, then I'll have an average of fifteen-twenty going at any one given time. Oh yeah, also Notepad, our schedule tracking program, and our ordering program for ordering services and products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Ugh. Our building just had a massive influx of new employees. That's not too bad. What's bad is that they moved them all to the other half of the building that has been empty for two months now. So what happens when you load a server to max capacity for 3 days straight that isn't suited for that kind of traffic? Well, it breaks. I don't know how, but one of the phone servers crashed, and is now limping along with an IT version of a band-aid.

This has led to me getting calls from no less than 4 different departments aside from my own. The best part? I normally leave at 11 pm when the calls are supposed to be shut off. However thanks to the server problems, now we get calls back to back after 11 from other departments and they don't even show up in queue. At 11:30, our boss just told us to get off the phones and go home.

I hope they get this poo poo fixed today, but they probably wont. I'm tired of TV and Xbox calls coming in.