Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
Anyone have the link for the previous call center thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
I often wonder what goes through the minds of people when they say "YOU JUST LOST A CUSTOMER" or any variation of it. Are any of these people in this very thread?

The person you're saying this to over the phone really does not give a flying poo poo whether or not you choose to spend money within this establishment ever again. No, seriously, he/she does not. You're not talking to Mr. Sony, you're talking to Ted, and Ted just wants you off the phone so that he can move on to the next call.

I've lost count how many times I'd have a customer screech those holy words at me only for me to reply "Alright, I have cancelled your account. You will receive your payout balance statement in the mail within 7 business days. Once this has been paid, your account will be considered closed". I then thank them for their call and wish them a merry day.

I'm not here to personally see my company generate higher revenue. I see none of it, nor do any of my co-workers. We laugh at you for thinking any of us give a goddamn gently caress about your account. Yes, we know that threatening to cancel your services will sometimes get you a nicer deal for 6 months or something, but we know of this trick. We can see you've threatened to close your account 3 times already. When you hang up and call back thinking you'll get someone else to try it on, there's an excellent chance the person you're now talking to is sitting next to Ted. We share with each other details when a particular weirdo is agent-bouncing. We laugh at you.

However, be nice/respectful to us, don't act like a manchild whining because he didn't get his cake, and there's almost no limit to what we can do for you :)

edit: sperling

KOMI fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 9, 2011

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
Ya I know what you mean. As a matter of fact I can usually tell when a dude is just passively saying it, because he probably wants to take a stab at it, and more often than not I'll give it to them anyway because he was a cool dude.

It's just the typical trash talk customers that I happily close without discussion.

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
It's annoying because it's sort of like when someone says "Hey, I'm not racist, but.." and then proceed to say the most racist thing you've heard in a while.

"Hey, I know it's not your fault, KOMI, so don't take it personally, but WHY DID YOU CHARGE ME $12 EXTRA ON THIS HERE SERVICE!? YOU YOU YOU WHY DID YOU DO IT!! GET ME YOUR SUPERVISOR!!"

It doesn't work to make you look better. We still think you're an rear end.

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005

JackRabbitStorm posted:

What I was talking about was more along the lines of

"Hey, I know it's not your fault, KOMI, so don't take it personally, but I am really upset about this 12.00 charge. Everytime I turn around it seems like there more charges and fees. I am really sick of all these extra charges, and they piss me off to no end. Why did I get an extra 12.00 charge this month?"

You're right as well. Obviously if every customer was as clear headed and un-confrontational as your example then it would be a pleasant exchange, if not at the very least an amicable one. What I mean is how most customers really just use it as an initial pleasantry only to completely 180 on you and personally attack you anyway.

Unfortunately, I work in an industry that is rarely met with friendliness. I work almost exclusively with customers who have very poor credit ratings.

edit: I had one dude the other day who initially was really chill and friendly to talk with. His problem was minor but it required me to go and ask my higher-ups about something I wasn't clear on, which he understood and said "Take your time! :)".

Well, unfortunately we couldn't accommodate this customer for his minor problem, which ultimately wasn't a big deal but whatever, anyways I go back to the dude and inform him of this and he completely goes off his cracker and becomes all morbid. Saying things like "KOMI, you lost yourself a customer today! You could have saved me but you wouldn't bend your precious loving rules for even a moment to do it! How does it loving feel? Knowing you're a loving failure!" and completely going off the charts for a good 4 minutes. Finally I just disconnected because I realized he was at this point just hearing himself talk, and not interested in what I had to say.

I just shrug it off and move on to my next customer. poo poo like this used to sit with me for a day or two as I'd stew about it, because that was just the kind of guy I was, now though I just tell my neighbor worker and we laugh. It's frightening, really.

KOMI fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 10, 2011

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005

Nocheez posted:

It's not an unfair question, really. I wouldn't hand $5 over to a corporation just to do it, so why would I willingly waste my time to give information that they are going to make money from? What's my incentive to do the survey?

Because expecting direct compensation for every little thing you do is silly. What reward for chatting 4 minutes on the phone would you be expecting?

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
Yeah, people can be absurdly dumb.

Honestly, a vast majority of the customers I deal with are relatively o-k, even if most of them can be pretty dense. I get maybe one sack of poo poo a day, sometimes not even. Although when I do get them I tend to just let them vent while I drink my juice, then when they are done I just fix their little problem and send them on their way.

Luckily at my job there is no Q/A department at all. The only person who can pull your calls is your own supervisor, or another one I guess if yours is not available, but even then they only do it if a customer calls to complain about rudeness or something. Sometimes they'll pull calls on a particular individual if they suspect he/she is goofing off, or if they're simply looking for something to use against you to get you fired which is extremely rare.

Starting wage at my place is $17/hr and it's pretty laid back. The managers are pretty well meaning and there seems to be some variation of 'Food Day' at least once a week, which is kinda nice. It also has a full blown cafeteria complete with cooks which is reasonably priced AND is not taxed, plus you're allowed to have your meals right at your desk while you work, if you so choose. Our building has won awards in the past for being a "First Class Call Center" in our region, and it shows.

Having said all that, I'm still openly looking for another job that doesn't require phone talk. I find myself having days where I dread going into work still because it all gets pretty mind numbing after a while. And we're often busy, so I have days where I'm pretty much talking for 8 hours straight and it's draining.

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
Sorry to hear about your dismissal. I was fired from a busy call center once and I remember feeling somewhat liberated when they slid the "YER FIRED" letter across the table to me. I think it's the only kind of job that I would whistle out of even after getting canned.

I think that speaks volumes.

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
Someone else said it in this thread, but it really is amazing how much more bearable your job becomes once you stop giving a poo poo. When I started, I used to go out on a limb for any customer I could because that's just my nature, but after so many thousands of callers telling me I was worthless I just stopped caring.

Now, if what you're asking me to do is indeed doable, sure, I will do it for you. That is the extent of my support. I now stick to the book 100% and I don't care if it is not what you asked for, it's our company policy and like I give a poo poo if you disagree with it.

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
That system sounds horrifying.

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
I have a final interview tomorrow for a Government job (after two bloody phone interviews) and I'm really hoping I do well. I'm just so burned out at my current call centre job and I don't think I'm going to be able to last much longer, and it's probably showing in my monthly stats. I take a 5 minute break pretty much every hour now because my call time is so retardedly low that I could probably take 40 calls per hour if I really wanted. So I just get tired and bored after the first couple hours of my shift and I feel I'm just done with it. There's just no challenge and it feels like I'm chewing the same piece of gum every day for 8 hours, then putting it on my desk, only to pick it up and resume chewing it when I come in for my next shift.

Wish me luck, goons. It's going to be a panel interview and from what I hear it's pretty gritty. I hope to come back sometime next week and report a success story.

KOMI fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 16, 2011

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
Received a call from the Government today. I got the position!

Finally. No more explaining loan interest rates or having to listen to some freak scream at me because he was billed $2.39 interest for a late payment. I get to go in today and tell them I'm done. The Government job does not want me to give two-weeks notice, as they want me to start on Monday. Welp, Gotta do what I gotta do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
God. When I started my former call center job I was told "Yeah, it's hardly ever busy around here". I guess by "not busy" they meant "25+ calls waiting in queue at any given situation, any day".

And you were only allowed 20 seconds of 'after-call' time before it would start to negatively impact your stats. No breaks between calls plus calls constantly waiting in queue WILL burn you out pretty drat quickly.

I remember coming into work one day and a coworker was like "Wow, we're pretty dead today, I'm getting a 30 second wait between calls!". No, we are not 'dead'. We're STILL busy, just not AS busy as usual, but still busy!

It was torture :(