Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Tiggum posted:

I don't understand how you can do this. Is there a lot of time spent not talking during the call? How do you manage to eat and talk on the phone at the same time?

There is a lot of people that do this where I work, even eat full meals. But we are in troubleshooting and cable box's can take 5+ minutes to reboot, and some agents actually stay on the phone with them during the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

BlackIronHeart posted:

My call center decided today that they're going to take away our ability to mute our phones, advising us to instead put the customer on hold (and use proper hold procedures such as asking for their permission) if we need to mute the phone for any reason. I'm sure this'll improve our customer experience. :downs:

Hah my company is the opposite in that we can mute customers, but are not allowed to put them on hold at all. We actually get scored way down in qa if we have a customer on "hold" for more then 30 seconds.

The issue with this is that we have to enter the order on a website, key it in in the actual system, verify the order on another website, and confirm everything on a fourth.

The website and the system takes the same info "name, address, phone #, email address" so we have to enter that all twice. The website then spits out a confirmation #, and the system spits out an account #, which we enter into the third site.

I also have to write the job notes in three different places, and sometimes the job is split into to (one for cable/internet and one for phone) so then I have to write comments in six total places. All without putting the customer on hold for more then 30 seconds.

So my mouth has to be a full minute in front of what I am actually doing, but then my aftercall has to be after 30 seconds as well.

Oh and every time we get a call the order entry site and the disposition site pop up, but for some reason they don't know how to do this correctly with Avaya, so in reality 8x of each pop up.

How do they solve this you ask? By trying to make a script to close out of the extra seven windows. I don't even understand how you could make the 8 pop up to begin with, but then trying to solve it like this just blows my mind.

We lost our major client recently, and this new system is for a new project where people are suppose to be able to order what they want online, and then we key it in. The site lists the promo prices for everything, and is pretty thorough in regards to all the charges. Yet somehow 80% of my calls are people calling in and asking "how much is this" You took the time to go to the site and write down the number, but you couldn't look down two inches to see the price for the product that you are asking me about?

I always thought I would want to work for a qvc type call center, as entering orders like that would be a pretty good call center job. I don't work for a qvc type call center, but I honestly can't imagine it being much better. People really make me sad sometimes.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 20, 2011

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Tiggum posted:

Also the people who, for some reason, seem to have recorded their message in a crowded train station or something, so all you hear is loud background noises followed by a beep. Or when the message is so badly recorded that you can't understand what they're saying so you don't realise it's a machine until the beep.

In fact, gently caress answering machines. I just hate them all.

The best message I've heard was "Hi this is Tom, I'm not home right now. If you know English press one and leave me a message, otherwise hang up the phone, learn some loving English, and call me back."

I so badly wanted to leave a message in a heavy English accent to piss him off, but I'm not good at accents at all. I hate people that don't understand America though, and think that if you don't know English then you need to get the gently caress out of ma country.

Plus, if the person calling him doesn't know English, how the gently caress would they understand the message?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Well my company picked up some new work. You know when you sign up/change/cancel cable service and they call you 50 times a day? Well if you call the number that keeps calling you, that is me. 10 cents a call + % of a LOB if I can sell a LOB to these people. Impossible.

Kill me now

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Tiggum posted:

The ones I hate most are the people who try to answer questions I haven't finished asking yet. It annoys me at work and in any other context. If you don't wait for me to finish you're probably not going to give me a useful answer so I'm just going to have to ask again. Your stupid attempt to save time has actually made this take longer.

How do you feel about doing this from our end? I catch myself doing it all the time, because the calls are all pretty much the same, so I am used to the same questions over and over.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

ZeroDays posted:

These kitchen stories are hilarious. It's incredible the lengths people will go to not to have to clean a dish. It becomes a mexican stand-off every time until management take action.

My old roomate (who was a girl, I'm a guy) would never do her dishes, or clean at all. I got fed up with it and stopped doing her dishes. One day she filled the sink with soap and water and put a bunch of dishes in it. Victory I thought! Until the next day when nothing was done.

Pretty much just blocking me from doing my dishes until I do hers first. Well I didn't want any of that, so I started eating out, or eating food that doesn't create dishes.

That sink sat like that for two months. The sink actually turned a green and stained like that. She never did end up doing any dishes.

Speaking of work though, today when I left I was #2 in sales. We get paid commission. You would think that this would mean that I am rolling in cash, but I actually only made 30 cents/hour more then minimum wage. gently caress this new client they signed a contract with. Who would sing a contract for pretty much no money, thus cutting your employees pay to 1/3-1/2 of what they usually get? I'm surprised I still have a job every day I arrive there. Really expect the parking lot to be empty every day I show up.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

It's posts like the one above that make me so glad I work in a different building in our complex than the call centres these days. The fact you need a special pass to get into both each building and each office in the building is good too, I'd say only about 20~ people can actually get into my office (not including cleaners\senior management).

Also, apparently, the women's toilets in our building are revolting. Of those 20 people, maybe 5 are guys, our toilets are always spotless, a pleasure to visit. Seriously, I live in a rather lax shared house, the toilets at work are nicer than the ones at home. But the horror stories I hear about the women's makes me gag. I don't get it. Its very blatantly one of about 18 people (one of the 15 from our office or one of the 3 lawyers that works in the office across the hall), you'd think given the risk of people finding out its you, you're the one that apparently shits so violently it lifts you off the seat like some kind of faecal rocket and sprays you around the room like a deflating balloon would give cause for thought. But no.

That isn't just your bathroom, that is every places. My manager actually had a meeting about it here, and stated at the 5+ places he managed, it's always the same. Girls are terrible at using the bathroom I guess, while guys are ok at it. Pretty much the opposite of what goes on outside a bathroom.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Well if that happened at my center there would be about 5 employees left, if that, including managers. I'm sure other call centers are the same. I always figured people worked at call centers either because there is no drug screening, or because they have kids and it is flexible hours.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just wanted to come in and brag about my first $200 day in an 8 hour period. Got to love commission (sometimes)

24 sales though. And people say I need a "real job" or one that takes effort. Right.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Second week of getting sent home early due to know call volume. Usually it's an hour before the end of my shift, but today I got sent home 5 hours early.

We had good call volume, then they decided to hire a bunch of people because they thought the call volume would increase more. Instead it decreased, and now there are to many employees.

Glad it's tax time otherwise I wouldn't be eating this week.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Usually like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obq26q9QTpM

If they don't like that, I'll usually just talk like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJXww8aizAM

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 13, 2012

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
It amazes me that most of you work for companies that don't pay commission at all. What incentive do you have to work hard? I get paid commission on each sale, so I work my rear end off to try and sell as much as I can as fast as I can. Hell I hope I don't get asked to move up because I've been doing this for 5+ years and know how to sell, so I make more then most of my managers without having to stick to a strict work schedule.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just wait two weeks and they will stop while they focus on another metric.

My managers (all past agents) actually had a two day (5 hours each day) class on how to manage a company since we are sinking fast. We went from a full center with not enough seats for everyone to having only 1/4 the center being used in about half a year. My project has gone from 30+ agents at a time to about 3.

It's always fun working somewhere where you don't know if you will be employed or not the next day.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So two of my managers are putting in their two weeks as they found jobs at another center and my third got demoted today to a team lead. They are trying to hire another manager but at $10/hr which is less then what I and many agents make on the phone.

The reason the two are leaving is pretty funny though. They told another manager that works in another project that we were shutting down, and then managers had to move to Guatemala. She broke down in tears, and they then told her it was a joke. She went and told our boss, who in turn forced them to work open-close (7am-11pm)

So now my department has no managers. We now have no in house qa (it's outsourced to India which is terrible. I get docked points on every qa for my Midwest American accent) and also no HR department.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

QA outsourced, what the heck.

Also I'm constantly surprised at the kind of wages "managers" are being paid, like, why would you want to take on the extra responsibility for loving ten bucks an hour? Anything to be off the phones I guess, but still...

The best part about qa being outsourced is that they don't have access to our software. I work for a cable company and sometimes we have customers in areas where the phone isn't available. If I don't tell the customer this the qa docks me points for not offering it.

I'd be surprised if this company is still around come mid year. It sucks because I've sadly worked here for five years and am used to not having to be on time, and being able to browse the web all day. If I were to get some factory job I'd get fired fast because I wouldn't be used to actually working.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
True that http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/song_details/12142852

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
My center doesn't have any 15 min breaks. It's not required in Wisconsin to give employees any.

quote:

Wisconsin law does not require that employers provide brief rest periods, coffee breaks, or meal periods to adult employees, although the Department recommends, at Wis. Admin. Code § DWD 274.04(2), that employers do so.

Also, starting last week we moved from using avaya to using net term. By doing so, instead of just doing one project (inbound or outbound) it is blended. I might take 3 outbound calls, and an inbound call comes in that I have to take. This is also blended with caller id calls, which are the devil. What they are is that our dialer will call someone 3+ times a day, and when the customer answers nobody will be there. They get frustrated and call the number back (usually a local number to them) and they get us. We then have to try and upgrade their services.

Fun times!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
"So my first available appointment is this Friday between 3 and 5"

"In the afternoon?"

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
If I get an average of less then 90% qa I lose 25% of my bonus, we get 3 qa's a pay period. If I have less then 90% schedule adherence I lose 25%. If I have less then 90% hours worked I lose 25%.

So basically if I miss one day I lose a bunch more money then what I would earn that day.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
New rule at my job is that we have to say "okay?" at the end of each call. Not doing so loses 1 point in qa. Figure that out.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Working in a call center that has more computers then equipment (phones and and whatnot) is terrible. Let alone a lot of the equipment doesn't even work and is from 1995. I don't really get how an inbound sales center wouldn't have call quality as a high priority.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I've worked at my call center for eight years now. Just got word that they are shutting down in two months. I get an extra bonus if I don't leave by then, and a bonus if I move to their other call center an hour and a half away.

Gah, finding a new job will be fun. It was pretty interesting to see how fast that place emptied out today after the meeting. Will also be interesting to see what the sales numbers are for the remaining time.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Kat Delacour posted:

Yeah, keep a real close eye on snacks and comfort eating

I usually eat granola during the day. Seems pretty filling, tasty, and easy to eat between calls!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I forgot that I made a twitter account a long time ago as I never use twitter, but I took the name @telemarketer.

Pretty fun to just search for people bitching at telemarketers and play along.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Thought this was fitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpLEcLS_uiw

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
How were you being overcharged? And sorry but I'd just say good bye to that money.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone work in email customer support? If so, is it as good as it sounds?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So I just did their typing test. It required double space after each period. Gah.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Well going in for an interview with a new company tomorrow and they stated that they use Star based questions. Never been in an interview that used that format, any tips?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
New job has a cafeteria, on site nurse, massage therapist, chiropractor, gym, game room (pool tables, foosball) I'm in call center heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Got to say I love this new call center job I got. granted I just process fax orders all day so customer interaction is minimal, but great management, onsite cafe, onsite gym, chiropractic,nurse and massage therapist with good benefits and above average pay. Not all call center jobs are terrible!