Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Oh man, I gotta vent. I work for a background screening company and I worked in the applicant care department for the longest time. Had to deal with frustrated US applicants who lost out on a job because some criminal record that is not even theirs showed up on their background check and their recruiter told them it was our fault that they didn't get hired. Try telling someone who just lost a job that it wasn't us but their recruiter. They just don't understand. I managed to get out of the call center department and into a client care department which is primarily e-mails and a few phone calls. The department was Canadian-specific but because the company is going through a migration effort and moving all client care to the states. It's been completely hosed up the whole time and we have burned through so many Canadian clients because of this. Unfortunately for me, because I was previously in Applicant Care, they're dragging me back in and there's nothing I can do. After a year of a cushy job, I'm getting dragged back to hell. This stinks... Best I can do now is just keep applying for jobs and get the hell out of here but it's good to see that there are others going through this sorta call center hell too. Just gonna do the bare minimum and not give a flying gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

I would guess the real reason you have burned through so many Canadian clients is because new privacy laws basic it pretty much impossible to due background checks here.

hmmm, perhaps so. Everything I have been hearing from clients though is the US teams have been providing US-Centric services and contracts as well as price increases in line with the US client services. I know a lot of my Canadian clients were pissed about the lack of knowledge the US teams have about Canada and related services.

Maybe it's due to the new privacy laws, I'm not really sure. Nothing concrete has been communicated to me so I'm in the dark.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Rand Ecliptic posted:

I was terminated from my last call-center job, and I'm about to apply to a new call-center job.

I know the company I was fired from uses an automated employee-verification system, so I don't think an employer would actually speak to anyone at my old job, but does anyone know if my reason for leaving (termination) would be made known to any potential employers? I'd really just like to say I was laid off.

I work at a background screening company so I can shed some light on this. If your former company goes through an automated employee-verification system (The Work Number for example), it will only provide dates of employment and your job title. Keep in mind though that this system is not the most reliable so keep employment documents, such as W-2's, 1099s, or your first and last paystub, on hand so in the case that verification can't be obtained, you can still prove you work there.

A lot of companies won't provide rehire status or the reason for leaving because it can get them caught up in legal action. Keep in mind, some companies will provide it but if the company uses The Work Number or something, then they wouldn't.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

hahah, I had someone this morning that was talking with a co-worker and she said out loud "oh poo poo!" not once but twice! enough so that I could hear it. It was early enough in the morning that I don't think it mattered but... you have to keep language in mind at a call center.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Kat Delacour posted:

Welcome to the Hotel California.

drat, that's the most accurate way to explain it, Hotel Call-ifornia. I've been busting my rump the last few months trying to get out of this dang ol' call center but I'm just coming up short. Had a job interview that I thought went well but I didn't even get a phone call back saying I wasn't chosen... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Loving Life Partner posted:

Only for a short time, my chick and I are gunna get married once we clear up some stuff, but hey Canada says I'm allowed to visit for up to 6 months.

ehhhhhhh we don't really care. come on by man! It's april and we still have snow :getin: