Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I work for a power company. We cannot deny service to anyone, therefore I speak to the poo poo of the Earth. Sure, some people just genuinely like speaking to a person on the phone, do their thing and get off with minimum hassle and are even nice sometimes. But the majority of our services are available online or via speech recognition by phone. Most people getting transferred to me have no listening or direction-following skill and need their hand held. Ever see a two-year-old pull that stunt where they throw a tantrum and writhe yet mom doesn't let go because she's not having that poo poo? I tried that stunt at two and dislocated my shoulder because I was a whiny brat. My job is to put peoples' shoulders back into place - it's their call how painful it's going to be.

For the handful of people who feel they need to critique my/my company's technique on putting that shoulder back? I'm going to enjoy your pain because gently caress you if you think you'll cause me any. Don't tell me about your children, your asthma, your refrigerated medication. Don't scream and speak down to me. Don't take my professionalism as speaking down to you just because you could barely rub two brain cells together to make this drat phone call. Those truly in need don't behave that way, they understand paying a bill is their responsibility and loving find a way to ensure they keep the power on if that means canceling cable or eating soup for a week. The people that really need me are sorrowful, but respectful.

But you dicks? You fuckwads getting power shut off because you can't handle your life, because you think electricity is a right? You morons who steel power and risk your lives for a few hundred dollars and LIE TO ME about doing it? Count your blessings I can't summon Reddy Kilowatt from the bowels of Middle America to personally ride the lines to fry you where you stand. I don't mean the pothead who forgets a bill once in a while, or the single parent who gets dicked over by unemployment not sending a check on time. I mean the entitled who do this CONSTANTLY. That's generally who I have to speak to.

Had a woman ask how to put service in her name because her husband was going to prison for molesting their 14-year old daughter.

Call centers will deepen your intolerance of the human race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Oh hello thread, wondered where you went.

man thats gross, glad to hear you have supportive management for the most part. I too feel the same way and agree: it's a living. My managers aren't brilliant but are honest about when I do screw up and generally supportive. I'm lucky to have a great trainer who hates the customer aspect and lots of the stupid policies at the company but does still enjoy helping people get better at the job; they're not shy when it comes to being up front about yeah, certain people in management are fuckups but the only thing we can do is our job (and report to her in confidence if it keeps happening).

The middle of the month is almost always slow for a power company, meaning the idiot questions stand out a hell of a lot more. My recent favorite, conducted with a customer for whom English was a second language, went like this:

:mad: You're sending the bill to the wrong address.
:v: Oh, sorry to hear that. *required identification script* Okay, what's your address?
:mad: *gives the same address on the account*
:confused: And we're mailing to that address, should we update it?
:mad: NO. It's the wrong address! It's not MY BILL YOU'RE NOT LISTENING.
:confused: I am listening, however I'm sorry I don't understand the question... *flash of insight in the face of language barriers* May I ask, what's the account number on that bill?
:mad: *reads off totally different number*
:confused: This account isn't in your name.
:mad: THAT'S RIGHT!
:confused: Do you recognize the name on the bill?
:mad: It's my brother-in-law.
:confused: Did you ASK him why he gave your address to us for mailing?
:mad: WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? WHY WOULD YOU MAIL HIS BILL TO MY ADDRESS?
:rant: ...it's not our business to ask why a customer wants a particular address, only to ensure where they ask us to mail to is correct. Why that bill is going to your home is a question for your brother-in-law.
:saddowns: ...ok *click*

What I wanted to say and didn't was "and if you can't stand the guy tell your spouse to talk to their brother."