Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug
Working escalations for a lovely credit card company is the worst job. The customers are terrible, the other agents are terrible, but mostly the company is terrible.

They have this awesome process wherein they grant cards to people that have no business having cards with stupidly low limits that max out when you buy some gum, and then as soon as they use it, they suspend the account and force the customer to send in a shitload of personal information to reactivate it otherwise it'll be closes. The process takes about a week IF they fax it in straight away and actually call us to find out wtf is going on, otherwise it's much longer, and if it isn't done within 30 days the account is closed. The documents they send us are always declined for arbitrary reasons which they never care to explain.

Several times a day I have to defend this lovely process to several people who have pumped gas, gone on a vacation, are trying to rent a car, trying to pay for food at restaurants.

Another awesome thing is they have these offers for balance transfers that are listed confusingly in the system and so often agents will offer these balance transfers thinking they're 0 percent interest instead of the actual 17.9 percent they really are and then I get to talk to these poor people 2 months down the line wondering what the gently caress, and all I can tell them is to send us some documentation proving that the offer was in fact 0 percent otherwise the terms will stand.

The best thing of all I think is that the collections team are ruthless bastards who will arrange payments in excess of what was agreed with the customer. Stupid poo poo like arranging 150 bucks to be paid on the 26th, and then 150 bucks on the 28th. Or even better, arranging 2 payments for the same amounts on the same day but via different methods, like cheque over the phone and debit card. When these people get pissed that we overdrew their checking accounts with payments they didn't authorize, I get to apologize and offer to refund the money, which they'll see back in their bank in around 20 days or so.

A lot of credit card companies will be upfront about your credit limit and when they can increase it for you, or why they can't. Not ours. Scripted decline response, expect a form letter in the mail with confusing general reasons about your credit.

I loving hate working here. The only redeeming thing is the idiot customers, like the one guy who kept yelling about how he was being "raped by corporate America"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug

Mr Plow posted:

Is call center work as bad as you are all making it out to be, or does it just seem that way because this is the rant thread? I was thinking of getting a job in a call center with Shaw Cable but you are making me think twice. I've got some questions, I don't know how many you can answer with any accuracy but it would help me nonetheless if someone would take a stab at any of them:

Would you recommend against working in a call center? Do I have a fair chance of making $14 an hour? $16? How boring does it get? How rampant is the abuse from customers? From supervisors? How stressful in genenral is the job? Do you get much down time between calls? How casual/enjoyable does the atmosphere tend to be? Do your fellow employees tend to be cool or insufferable? How exhausting is the job?

As a "senior account manager" also known as "someone who is not in the Philippines" this is my experience:

You will spend a great deal of time defending your morally bankrupt employer while at the same time being essentially powerless to resolve issues, being shouted at by customers and being brushed off by supervisors. Some call centers do pay fairly well but a lot of them are barely over minimum wage. I would advise other options if they're open to you. At the same time, it's warm and dry and not physically taxing.

There always seems to be a great sense of camaraderie between coworkers because they're the only people in the world who know exactly how lovely your day is going. I spend a great deal of time when traveling to work fantasizing about being injured in some way so I don't have to go.

The problem with call I find with call center work is it's never ending. It's like an infinite conveyor belt of misery. It does not matter how much you bust rear end for a customer, you'll never speak to them again nor will you be recognized for your efforts. You can do the bare minimum and 99% of the time it just won't matter. The bare minimum more often than not looks exactly the same as busting a hump on a stats printout.

The calls I take can be very stressful, but I've worked in other call centers where the calls are not stressful at all. Your mileage may vary.

Boredom: No internet. No pens and paper. No electronic devices. Some people knit, some people do rubics cubes for 10 hours a day, some people bring in play-doh. There's a horrible balance between the day dragging on because there's a lot of time in between calls and being back-to-back calls but having your brain assaulted by relentless retardation.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug
Quit my lovely Capital One call centre job! gently caress you Capital One, you greedy morally bankrupt fucks.