Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
I have some call center venting, news, and questions.

Have my 3rd interview with a Verizon call center. Any chance people can give me some pros/cons? I currently work at a different call center where I take death claims and have people yell at me about life insurance policies. I can live with the yelling but the death claims are no good for me. Then I found out people that have been working for years longer than me (I am not at a year yet) and have more responsibility BUT are making less than me. It makes no sense and I just get a sinking feeling at night and on Sundays knowing I have to go back.

Some of my superiors bad mouth my coworkers to me or other employees. This made me very uncomfortable and very disenchanted with working there. I understand that supervisors are people too and need to vent but it just seemed like one of the worst things you could do as a manager is bad mouth employees, behind their back, to said employees' co-workers.

Also once they found out I would put forth the effort and could perform my duties well, they started giving me a ton of poo poo to do..."in between calls" as they put it. So while everyone else is gabbing to each other in between calls I am working frantically to get these "special projects" done. The killer is the people talking, while im working frantically, got hired with me and make roughly the same but only have 1/4 of the responsibility...I do jobs for several departments now and I really think each one thinks they are the only ones that give me things to do. I wanted to address this with supervisor...ie: share the burden or if they think the other's can't do it, compensate me for it but was strongly advised against it by a few people who took me under their wing. They said doing that is kind of a "career killer" and flat out said there isn't a future at this place unless you know the right people...moreso than other jobs. Part of the reasoning is that just having these "special jobs/projects" should garner some sort of prestige in my mind and the fact that they chose me to do these things is supposed to mean something. But all signs point to it meaning nothing. Like I said, I have seen others who do a lot more and make less.

Verizon would fix the death claim talk and it starts off higher than I make now.

Any pros/cons for their call centers? Environment? Morale? (My current place did a series of surveys a year ago it recieved the lowest morale rating out of any work environment for this company) Are the discounts worthwhile? Do you get swamped with little things to do aside from answering calls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
I assume it is directly as it is a giant verizon building with signs all over it. My current place is a 3rd party service place that works for a dozen insurance companies. So you get paid jack because they have to be viable to be hired. Whether the Verizon place is union, I am not sure. It was never brought up in the 2 interviews or discussion before/after the assessment. I might ask on my 3rd interview.

It would be customer support for wireless. There is one person who worked there that I know and they said it was fine I can't get ahold of them now and we don't have a common point of reference.

Point of reference, its not a regular thing, but people will start crying or freak out from the stress. Its hard to pick out what stress because it IS a call center but I don't think that is normal...It really disturbs you to see it and no one knows what to do about it.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
Ok 2 phone interviews, a skill assessment, and a in person interview and NOW they are going to review my application at Verizon. I hope this is a good sign and most people get weeded out in the first interviews.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
I accepted a position at Verizon. I hope it works out and is good. People at my current job keep telling me its bad (mainly my superiors). But the ones working at the Verizon call center is great.

The wildcards are: 1 former employee I know said it was a good place. Another said it was bad...but...they would go back there in a heartbeat if they didn't make her work a later shift?

I almost didn't take it. My last interview the person asking the questions was basically browsing the web on their phone and texting. I almost wanted to take the packet and just write down my answers and slide it back because they had no idea what I was saying. It was pretty bad, if I didn't hate my current work environment I would have walked out.

Anyone work at a verizon call center or have experience there?

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
Verizon call center week 1 update:

Plus column:
1) Fully staffed cafeteria that is fully stocked.
Gym with fully staffed trainers who also offer nutrition advice. 15 minute break? Let them know before hand, they will have whatever you need ready and will maximize your time. Verizon realizes healthy employees = happy, productive employees.
Game area with a foosball table/basketball hoop scoring game (keeps count of how many shots you made) etc
Half off phone bill, 35% off accessories, faster upgrades
Extra new models of phones to carry around and take home (so you can get a good feel for them)
A masseuse comes in regularly
Hired dry cleaners you can just drop your stuff off and they will have it back the next day, etc etc.
They really push that you can get promoted after 3 months on the floor and you are rewarded based on your results/effort. It is not a "who you know" type deal because everyone knows everyone. On my first day the director (the boss of the whole call center) stopped me in the hall and talked to me. This is very common apparently.
Several branches of growth in the call center alone. Everyone starts at customer service, then you can branch out almost anywhere: IT, HR, Training, etc etc. They pay for moving if it comes to that.
7 weeks of training. Thats right, 7 loving weeks. My last job was a week of training and then they threw you into the deep end. After that it is transition for more weeks. Thats like training wheels.
No time metrics. 1 call resolution/Happy customer > a series of 3 minute calls. From what I have seen though they want to keep it under 9 (thats from what I have observed, no one has said anything). Still, 9 minutes? Holy poo poo thats an eternity.
The vacation time, overtime bidding, sick time, etc etc seems really flexible and seems to have a lot of options. They seem to want to work with you and make it work since they acknowledge they are investing a lot of money in training you.
Unless you are in management, no "dress up" days. Shorts? Fine. Sweatpants? Fine. Open toed shoes? Fine.
The general vibe I get is they refuse to cut corners if they have a choice in investing in employees. It isn't going to be like working for google but my last job seems like a loving dungeon so far.
Every place I have ever worked offers tuition assistance. This is the first place that actually has an area you can go to DEDICATED to school. They also have a partnership with a distance learning college and have instructors stop by to help. Yep you read that right.

Bad column:
It IS a call center.
No more vacation time than other jobs. Same accrual rate.
I have only been here a week. I don't know why people leave. When researching the job I read about people being stressed out. So I am kind of waiting and expecting things to go bad. However, I think my last place was just so bad that this job might actually be the dream call center job in comparison.

After I got home yesterday I did a bunch of searches and the fact that they actually rank in a "top place to work" let alone high in a lot of them, and higher than any other place in the telecom/customer service industry I think I might have sold this place short. I am being overly optimistic though because I really want this job to work.

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 23, 2014

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
At my last job, call length was thee metric. You had no loving shot at even finding another position in the call center, even if it didn't involve being on the phone whatsoever, if your call time was 10 seconds over your "goal".

If you don't get the call over under this amount of time, you are WRONG. But don't worry, if you have a long call, you can make it up by just having 3 calls that are waaay too fast. The amount of repeat callers in a week was insane considering how many people we served.

The speed will just come to you, and its actually ingenious. There are 3 tiers of answering positions. In order to get to each level you have to perform at a certain level. And its not like something that comes around every few years. You move up when you are ready whether it be a few months after training/transition or months. The incentive to make more money is 10x more powerful than sitting down and scolding someone over their call length. I was playing airhockey with a guy on break and he knows a bunch that moved to the top tier within a year. Thats a huge pay jump.

Disclaimer: I am new and still in the honeymoon. But it meant a lot to me when my supervisors sat down and said their performance evaluations from their supervisors are tied into how I am performing, period. Wow. It wasn't like a pressure statement, I just knew that they would do whatever they could to get me ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Man y'all got it rough. Call time isn't even a recorded metric where I work. One time a dude put me on hold and forgot about me and I let it sit on hold for over a half hour.

I've fantasized about this happening to me some days. But no, they always remember I am on hold...*sigh*