Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Likely because they’re dumb BUT the best practice for KBAs (those kinds of questions used as a secondary authentication method) recommend you not answer them truthfully because that makes them harder to social engineer. Thankfully most places are getting away from those in favor of actual multi factor authentication

While this sounds like good security advice, it's actually a great way to get locked out of a very important account. I only say this because I've seen it happen.

The best advice is to use a password manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Yeah, it sounds stupid to be asked “Have you tried a reboot or powered it off and back on?” but many people who consider themselves “tech savvy” don’t even try it because it couldn’t possibly be the solution. And I’ve seen it be the solution more times than I’d like to think about.