Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

lnav vnav usatoday posted:

Can anyone give me a blow by blow on reception. Do they draw blood, blood pressure, hearing, visual, etc...

BTW going to Ft. Knox.

Shots. Lots and lots of Shots. Then you'll do all of your administrative stuff: Family contact information, setting up your bank account for direct deposit, your life insurance. Dental Panograph, DNA swabbing, vision and glasses. It is at this time that if you have step parents or grand parents or anybody who is not a biological parent that raised you that you annotate that. You'll have opportunities down the line, but never as good or straight-forward as this, the whole In Loco Parentis thing is more important than you think. If you haven't seen your father since you were 3 and you were raised by a mother and stepfather or your grandparents, you won't get emergency leave to go see them if they get sick or die without putting them down on the contact information form.

Oh, and don't pay attention to the other recruits who've been there (at reception) for longer than you. They don't know any more about the Army than you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

psydude posted:

How far in advance do you generally find out about deployments?

A year or so. But that's changing because starting next year they're trying to push 2 years dwell-time and stabilization, instead of 1. That said, I knew from a year ago exactly where I would be right now, and I already know who's replacing me and theoretically when. OPSEC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

SolidKZ posted:

Apparently not anymore. :effort: :btroll:

Oh you've gotta be loving kidding me

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

About half the soldiers I got from AIT couldn't pass at least part of the PT test.

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010
Did a PT test in Future Soldier DEP and had a 290 PT score. Those kids looked at me like I was Zues. I certainly hope Basic Training is harder than what we are doing now. It's ridiculously easy. Only 2 out of about 15 of us can pass the PT test, not counting myself.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Did a PT test in Future Soldier DEP and had a 290 PT score. Those kids looked at me like I was Zues. I certainly hope Basic Training is harder than what we are doing now. It's ridiculously easy. Only 2 out of about 15 of us can pass the PT test, not counting myself.

Expect tougher grading on the pushups in the real ones, but with a 290 yeah you don't really have much to worry about

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

Hagetaka posted:

Expect tougher grading on the pushups in the real ones, but with a 290 yeah you don't really have much to worry about

I wasn't trying to brag, just stating what I have run into so far. Sit ups are the only thing I can't max. I have always been a runner, through school track, etc., so I've just been doing it longer than the recruits going in. I am at 11:50 for the 2 mile.

The thing that makes me wonder is that for instance we do a 2 mile run Tuesday and Thursdays. These kids can't make it more than 1/2 a mile before quitting and just walking the rest. They aren't pushing themselves, therefore plateauing. I really wish they would have had an earlier WOCS class so I wouldn't have to wait till August 24th to ship.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

^^^^ 11:50 means you don't have anything to worry about. There's no compulsion to PT with the recruiters, despite what they tell you. I was in DEP for 5 months the first time and I think I did it once. You might be better off on your own.

Hagetaka posted:

Oh you've gotta be loving kidding me

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

About half the soldiers I got from AIT couldn't pass at least part of the PT test.

Likewise. Still, although there is a definite improvement lately, yeah I'm still getting lots of these. Fresh from AIT and have never passed a PT test because 'We'll let the unit worry about them'. Part of that is the need for bodies, part of that is the lack of Drill Sergeants at AIT (they're "Platoon Sergeants" now. No DS pay, no yelling at or dropping Privates, or PTing them into the dirt, no PT outside of PT hours, no interfering with Sleep time, but otherwise the same hours and same responsibilities.)

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jun 11, 2010

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I get out of the Navy in April 2012. Can I collect unemployment for 4 months until I start going to school? I live in New York.

Quarterly Prophet
Nov 9, 2005

by angerbeet

sharkbomb posted:

I get out of the Navy in April 2012. Can I collect unemployment for 4 months until I start going to school? I live in New York.

Don't you have to be let go/fired in order to collect unemployment? It's more like you quit (unless you got a medical discharge)

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Here's an idea, use your terminal leave to find a goddamn job. Find a job before your terminal leave starts. Start going to school before you ETS. Something. Because you can't collect loving unemployment, jesus christ.

Quarterly Prophet posted:

Don't you have to be let go/fired in order to collect unemployment? It's more like you quit (unless you got a medical discharge)

Your employer actually has to pay into it, and if you guessed that the military doesn't do that, hey, you're right!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

vacation in kabul posted:

Your employer actually has to pay into it, and if you guessed that the military doesn't do that, hey, you're right!

Uh bullshit, I collected unemployment for five weeks while I was trying to get a contract overseas, until I gave up and took something local. Getting it after separating is incredibly easier than doing it after a normal job, even.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
For some reason I assumed that was bullshit... what do they pay, something like 50% of your income or does it vary by state?

edit: I guess I just figured and honorable discharge is analogous to quitting, not getting laid off or w/e, didn't think you could claim that

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

You can, in 50 states.

In fact, and I couldn't believe my ears, the ACAP guy doing my briefing told us that Massachusetts had the highest unemployment benefits cap by far, and was giving us ways to scam the system by setting up a PO Box there and saying you were doing job searching in Mass :psyduck:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
poo poo, I did everything wrong when I ets'd the first time. :(

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

That's why you don't blow off your ACAP briefings

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Hagetaka posted:

That's why you don't blow off your ACAP briefings

(says the guy who puts up satellite dishes)

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Eh, they stamped my ACAP because I had been stoplossed for my deployment, and I came back from deployment and started clearing like a week after I got back (and like the first day I was sober)

My mistake but gently caress it man, stop loss blows.

Speaking of I need to submit that paperwork for that, like 2k coming my way

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

psydude posted:

How far in advance do you generally find out about deployments?

Depends on service and career field, I'd say. I can plan mine out indefinitely until the AEF arrangement changes or I PCS/PCA, at which point I'll be able to plan it out according to the gaining unit's deployment cycle. There are exceptions to this, like 179s to random places, but in the AF it's fairly predictable, which is half the point of the AEF concept in the first place.

I have a feeling you knew this, but it's a good question anyway.

Edit: Maybe I should proofread my spelling/grammar immediately rather than waiting 12 hours.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 12, 2010

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Because you can't collect loving unemployment, jesus christ.

You're entitled to six months worth. I wonder though if that applies when you're in the reserves and you demob?

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Here's an idea, use your terminal leave to find a goddamn job. Find a job before your terminal leave starts. Start going to school before you ETS. Something. Because you can't collect loving unemployment, jesus christ.

Calm down, friend. Is it okay if I don't work during the short military-to-school gap after doing five years worth of bullshit for the Navy? Is that so wrong?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
vik is like 20 man he's lived life i knows i tall you should follow his advice he's p. much dr. phil in uniform

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

sharkbomb posted:

Calm down, friend. Is it okay if I don't work during the short military-to-school gap after doing five years worth of bullshit for the Navy? Is that so wrong?

Depending on what state you are from, technically you could have been paying into unemployment insurance. Not sure on how military pay works but for instance NJ takes 0.3825% out of paychecks to help fund unemployment. You are guaranteed 6 months now along with a 6 month extension which is automatic. You will probably be able to get the max which is $420 a week, roughly given on what state you pull from. I can help you with the process if you have any questions. It's pretty straight forward though.

Ben Richards fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 14, 2010

vacation in kabul
Dec 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

vik is like 20 man he's lived life i knows i tall you should follow his advice he's p. much dr. phil in uniform

Can you rephrase this in the form of a question so I can tell you that I'm older than you are?

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010
Here is a question:

Since I have SLP for my outstanding loans, should I start the military deferment process before I head to reception/bootcamp? I would hate to keep paying $700 a month on loans that are going to be paid off.

The loan companies state they need orders(which I believe my enlistment contract with school dates should suffice)and the necessary paperwork filled out.

Ben Richards fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 14, 2010

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I don't think those are the kinds of quick questions this thread was made for. But if I'm wrong, I'd like to see some credit card numbers, home addresses, and SSNs.

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

Godholio posted:

I don't think those are the kinds of quick questions this thread was made for. But if I'm wrong, I'd like to see some credit card numbers, home addresses, and SSNs.

You're right. I'll edit it out.

SEMPER FUCKIN FI
Sep 28, 2009
Ignore the name I have never served in any capacity and have no personal connection to the military but,

Is it true that certain military cadences make references to napalming Vietnamese women and children or is the modern military a lot more "politically correct" for lack of a better term?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

SEMPER FUCKIN FI posted:

Ignore the name I have never served in any capacity and have no personal connection to the military but,

Is it true that certain military cadences make references to napalming Vietnamese women and children or is the modern military a lot more "politically correct" for lack of a better term?

Depends on the service (i.e., the Marine Corps is a bunch of cold blooded killers, whereas you might be less likely to hear a similar cadence in the Air Farce...over the top sarcasm intended), but generally speaking no, those cadences are still around.

Napalm sticks to kids, for example, may not be "officially" sanctioned, but I'm certain that it's still used.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

They're used.

But don't get all butthurt, we haven't napalmed kids in a few years at least.

I'm waiting for some dipshit to bust out a collateral murder or abu ghraib cadence in front of someone important. It's gonna be fuuuuuun.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I need help, my fiance might be getting shafted by his recruiter. He was supposed to go to MEPS today, but he has a scar on his head from when he was 15 months old that the recruiter said he needs documentation for (bit on the head by his family dog, in the hospital 4 hours, got some stitches, no lasting damage). He ordered the medical records 2 weeks ago when they told him that (they said it would take 7-10 days since they had to research it), and as far as we knew he was still going up today.

He called a week later and the recruiter said everything was fine, he just needed the medical records. Still nothing from the hospital. He called again 2 days ago (Monday) and couldn't reach anyone. He called yesterday and left a message and his recruiter never returned his call. He finally talked to him today and all of a sudden they have to send the records in before he can even go up. Also, apparently all they need is a statement from his mom about what happened. If that's all he needed, why would we bother ordering official records? Why wasn't he told before today that a note from mommy would be fine? Something smells like bullshit.

Part 2: My fiance got a 97 on his ASVAB, he wants to take the DLAB and EDPT before he goes to MEPS, but the recruiter says he can't until after he goes, and that he can relist his jobs afterwards. That doesn't seem right, since that's where he picks his jobs and signs his contract, correct?

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

I don't know how big the scar is so I can't comment on that.

Yeah, he can take the DLAB before he signs anything.

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

Awesome Kristin posted:

I need help, my fiance might be getting shafted by his recruiter. He was supposed to go to MEPS today, but he has a scar on his head from when he was 15 months old that the recruiter said he needs documentation for (bit on the head by his family dog, in the hospital 4 hours, got some stitches, no lasting damage). He ordered the medical records 2 weeks ago when they told him that (they said it would take 7-10 days since they had to research it), and as far as we knew he was still going up today.

He called a week later and the recruiter said everything was fine, he just needed the medical records. Still nothing from the hospital. He called again 2 days ago (Monday) and couldn't reach anyone. He called yesterday and left a message and his recruiter never returned his call. He finally talked to him today and all of a sudden they have to send the records in before he can even go up. Also, apparently all they need is a statement from his mom about what happened. If that's all he needed, why would we bother ordering official records? Why wasn't he told before today that a note from mommy would be fine? Something smells like bullshit.

Part 2: My fiance got a 97 on his ASVAB, he wants to take the DLAB and EDPT before he goes to MEPS, but the recruiter says he can't until after he goes, and that he can relist his jobs afterwards. That doesn't seem right, since that's where he picks his jobs and signs his contract, correct?

Part 1 Answer: if they see a scar and you tell them you went to the hospital/had stitches, you opened up a can of worms. At that point you WILL have to jump through hoops to get to step 2. They need the note because obviously he cannot give an account on what happened and need a statement to go along with the incident. Not saying to do this but he could have just said he was unsure how he got the scar and he had it from childhood. They wouldn't have asked anything else but unfortunately he told them he went to the hosiptal and had stitches. This will in no way DQ him or hinder his progress granted it's just a scar.

Part 2 Answer: the recruiter wants him to go to MEPS first so he knows your fiancé will be able to qualify for service. He doesn't want to waste his time sending him for tests only to find out out he can't pass the physical. I had to go to MEPS 4 times and then to a flight surgeon before I got my flight slot. When he goes to MEPS, he will take the physical and leave. Then the recruiter will schedule his other tests. When he gets his scores back, the recruiter will see if his MOS is available and will project him for MEPS. He will then go to MEPS for an inspect which is height and weight, and swear in. At this point he will see his contract with desired schools.

Hope that helps. Nothing screwy going on, this is how the recruitment process is unfortunately, and I've been told just a taste of how the military will jack you around.

Ben Richards fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 16, 2010

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
That helps a lot actually, thanks. We got the impression that MEPS is a one time thing and he would be sworn in there without having his other test scores, which seemed fishy. And I get that they wanted to have all the information about the scar, but the fact that the recruiter didn't mention that he wouldn't be able to go without a note from mom until the day he was supposed to leave is a little messed up. I guess we'll have to pester the poo poo out of him until he goes. Thanks again =)

Ben Richards
Mar 24, 2010

Awesome Kristin posted:

That helps a lot actually, thanks. We got the impression that MEPS is a one time thing and he would be sworn in there without having his other test scores, which seemed fishy. And I get that they wanted to have all the information about the scar, but the fact that the recruiter didn't mention that he wouldn't be able to go without a note from mom until the day he was supposed to leave is a little messed up. I guess we'll have to pester the poo poo out of him until he goes. Thanks again =)

Organization is not their strong suit. Expect more of "I forgot to tell you's..."

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I passed my 3 day interview with the RN, then I had my medical. Turns out, at 6'3" I'm somewhat on the tall side. More precisely my arse to head height is too tall for a Harrier and just on the cusp for the Firefly.

Now, I never wanted to fly a Harrier, so that's not a problem. The Firefly is the basic flying training aircraft, but it's currently being (or already has been) phased out in favour of the Grob Tutor. I can fit in the Grob.

How likely is it that they will be sensible and let me in considering both of the measurements I'm too tall for won't actually affect me? (For added laughs, I'm able to fit in the Typhoon, just not the harrier. He didn't have data on the F-35).

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Part 1 Answer: if they see a scar and you tell them you went to the hospital/had stitches, you opened up a can of worms. At that point you WILL have to jump through hoops to get to step 2. They need the note because obviously he cannot give an account on what happened and need a statement to go along with the incident. Not saying to do this but he could have just said he was unsure how he got the scar and he had it from childhood. They wouldn't have asked anything else but unfortunately he told them he went to the hosiptal and had stitches. This will in no way DQ him or hinder his progress granted it's just a scar.
Wait, are scars actually an issue? I have a scar on my forearm from when I was like 4 and there is no way in hell I'd be able to get medical records for that. It's not exactly something I could lie about either since it's a big scar and you can see where the stitches went as well.

Plan on enlisting Army if it matters.

Too Poetic fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 17, 2010

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Too Poetic posted:

Wait, are scars actually an issue? I have a scar on my forearm from when I was like 4 and there is no way in hell I'd be able to get medical records for that. It's not exactly something I could lie about either since it's a big scar and you can see where the stitches went as well.

Plan on enlisting Army if it matters.

I think my fiance's was an issue mainly because it's somewhat large, and on his head. You might not have to worry about it, but it might be a good idea to try and research it a bit with whatever doctor/hospital/parent treated you.

My Name Is Jonas
Apr 11, 2007
Anyone seen the subtitled Hitler clip about Maintainers? It has Hitler going on about how much Barksdale sucks, etc etc? I can't find a link anywhere for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Does anyone have or can link to like those nasty rear end barracks room slides that were making the rounds a few years back? I think it was some USAF dude with like piss bottles and poo poo?

• Locked thread