Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
It starts with cheating and ends with a sex dungeon in on-post housing and paperwork that will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

When I was in Afghanistan, a whole bunch of SeaBees showed up on my FOB outta nowhere and told us that they were there to build us a new compound. They hung around for a while, mooched off our food and gym, didn't build anything, and then left. <:mad:>

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

zombie303 posted:

But how did they drive their ships in the mountains :shrug:
I don't know, I think they were lost. Like uhhh, the Gulf of Oman is that way, guys.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Hottie French fighter pilot, I never understood a word you said on the radio, but drat if you weren't the sexiest voice on the net.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

http://www.vfwidaho.org/2014/2014%20Podium%20Book%20CD/Congressional%20Charter/Congressional%20Charter.pdf

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Doesn't look like it, man. That's it. I found the original law enacted to incorporate the VFW (PL 74-630, here, Vol. 49, p 1435).

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

So I just saw "Fury" for the second time, and I have a few questions concering tanks and tank combat:

1. The crew's main gunner would always shout something before firing. For the life of me, I can't discern wether he's saying "allone" or "onone". Is there some kind of phrase that a tank gunner shouts before firing?

2. The crew's mechanic and loader in one scene messed with the shells by using an ice pick, I think, in order to make the shells detonate quicker. What possible advantage would this have?

3. Is the tank commander usually out in the open on top of the tank like that as a spotter? Wouldn't that expose him to small arms fire? It honestly kind of bugged me how the crew of the Tiger tank wasn't firing their machine gun right at the obviously exposed target.

4. Was our armor really that weak against the German tanks? From what little knowledge I have about tank combat during the war, our Sherman tanks were mass-produced, so were swarming tactics common to compensate?
2. The loader is setting the delay on an anti-personnel round. This allows them to specify what distance the round should detonate at, useful for hitting something that isn't a single target but a mass of little things.

3. Yep, he's exposed, but it means he can see much better. It's Hollywood, though, so of course he's not going to hunker down behind a periscope.

4. Sort of yes and yes. A large part of this is due to the prevailing tank doctrine and underpowered engines of the time. Engines were not particularly powerful, so engineers were forced to develop tanks with some tradeoffs between armor, speed, and firepower. This leads to countries producing a wide variety of tanks for different purposes, which today we see as obsolete. You had light, medium, and heavy tanks, plus on top of that were tank destroyers. Medium tanks like the Sherman were largely intended to support the infantry instead of doing their own thing, and were not really designed or appropriately equipped to go toe-to-toe with enemy tanks; destroying enemy tanks was to be left to dedicated tank destroyers. There's lots more good stuff on Wikipedia.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

all apologies posted:

So how does piss testing work for the VA? Like as in im medically retired and i go see my first doctor Dec. 4th....assuming im fine unless I sign a contract for pain management or something?
Well, it's the VA, so it probably doesn't.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

With the food chat, it feels extremely unlikely to me that you could eat MREs for 6+ months and still function normally, like not get a vitamin deficiency or something. I assume real food tastes like god's gift after that?
Real food turns your guts inside out after so long without it.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Cole posted:

Jesus gently caress stop defending MREs they are loving stupid
You tell, 'em, Cole. First Strike rations are where it's at, HOOOAAHH

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Hey, buddy. :)

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Affi posted:

This seems like odd advice? I hear your best bet is to be as physically fit as possible. But I wasn't planning on losing my sweet sweet bodyfat anyway.
"Get ripped" isn't the same as "lose all body fat." This goes hand-in-hand with "make sure you eat," because you need more than just water when it's hot as poo poo out. Food and water are both requirements. Body fat is essentially just stored energy from food; guys who don't have much body fat (like me) are eating non-stop in extreme heat. If you've got a little fat, that's a good thing.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

For December:

Cutoffs:
SGT: 557 PZ, 558 SZ
SSG: 618 PZ, 798 SZ

Eligible:
SGT: 56 PZ, 9 SZ
SSG: 60 PZ, 7 PZ

Est. promotions:
SGT: 3 PZ, 1 SZ
SSG: 7 PZ, 0 SZ

e: a very slow decline in points over the last 6 months for E5, down from ~620.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 9, 2014

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I ran a training room for my last year in. The single most important thing about anything even remotely paperwork-related is to keep a paper trail on everything. Every. Thing. Keep multiple copies of everything you receive, keep copies of everything you submit, and get a signed and dated DA 200 (ArmyPubs) for everything you submit to anybody at all. Be extra-super-duper descriptive when describing stuff that you submit with a DA 200. Go batshit insane over-the-top with this stuff, seriously. When somebody says, "oh, we never got that from you," or, "sorry, looks like somebody lost it," call their poo poo and produce the DA 200 which shows somebody in their shop signed for it. I cannot emphasize enough how many times this has saved my rear end or how much pain and grief it will save you. Paper trail. Paper trail. Paper trail.

If you can't see your paper trail from space, it's not long enough.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 16, 2014

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

There was a WO1 in my unit for a little while, no idea why. We didn't have any warrant slots, so I think he was just filling a slot in one of the shops. Guy was a kind of a dick, though. The small handful of other warrants I've met were cool, I guess, but I never really knew them that well. The aviation BDE that I shared a FOB with had a WO5, though, and that dude looked crusty beyond all gently caress. Seriously looked older than anybody I'd ever seen in uniform, like some kind of crusty old unicorn.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Show up at a VA hospital and enroll in person. That's what I did. :shrug:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

don't forget to leave your dorm room open!
Turn up the volume to eleven and play "What is Love" on loop.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

dudes who carried the saw made the call. it's a bitch to carry & a even bigger bitch to clean. gently caress the saw forever.
give 'em 240s

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Master Bateman posted:

The M2 was my bitch for a long time. Miss that oval office.
Fuckin' right

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

"Improved office efficiency by repositioning fax above paper shredder, resulting in 5000 man hours saved during FY14."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

The diamond is 5th Infantry Division. A little weird, because according to what little Google yields, 759th was not attached to 5th ID, (at least, not during the war). They might have been attached during the occupation, though. That would also explain why gramps doesn't have a campaign medal or victory medal for WWII. You'd need to see a DD214 to confirm that, though. Who put together the shadow box?

Shot in the dark based solely on the contents of the box: served in post-WWII occupation of Germany, into the beginning timeframe of the Korean War, but wasn't actually deployed to Korea. That would tick one (maybe both) of the boxes for the units, plus check off eligibility for GCM and NDSM.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 29, 2015

• Locked thread