Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Got my Admiralty Interview Board in 2 weeks. 3 day interview in front of an admiral and two other RN or RM officers. Going in for Jungly (helicopter that flys the marines around) pilot. Last step before joining Intial Officer Training at Dartmouth.

Hoping for some quick advice from anyone who's done the AIB or even the Army or RAF versions. Hell, I guess any advice regarding this sort of interview would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Thanks lnav vnav usatoday. That's helpful, although I am terrible at interviews.

iyaayas01 posted:

Could you describe it a little more? I'm sure the US goons, officer type, (or at least me) would be able to give you some advice if we've got a little bit better idea of what exactly it is.

Two/three day process involving varied tasks culminating in a Board-like interview. Starts with written exams testing coherency, general english, Naval Knowledge, comphrension and such like. Moves on to practical leadership tasks (getting across a bottomless chasm, building a bridge over a bottomless chasm, ferrying a dummy across a bottomless chasm), a leaderless task (like the leadership task, except they don't assign a leader) and a bleep test.

Then there's a planning exercise and the Board interview on the last day.

This is it in more detail

Not really sure how it corresponds to the US system, but this basically decides who goes into Basic Officer Training (which is about 1 year long, most people already have a degree when they go in).

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Thanks for all the responses about my interview, those will help loads. Particularly the talking through the problems; I tend to plan in my head.

Related to that and the above discussion, what is a good reason to join up? Mine is basically I've always wanted to, but I thought that was a lovely reason until I got to talk to a load of pilots at Yeovilton, most of them said the same thing.

I suppose I'm just worried that that reason on it's own won't suffice.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I passed my 3 day interview with the RN, then I had my medical. Turns out, at 6'3" I'm somewhat on the tall side. More precisely my arse to head height is too tall for a Harrier and just on the cusp for the Firefly.

Now, I never wanted to fly a Harrier, so that's not a problem. The Firefly is the basic flying training aircraft, but it's currently being (or already has been) phased out in favour of the Grob Tutor. I can fit in the Grob.

How likely is it that they will be sensible and let me in considering both of the measurements I'm too tall for won't actually affect me? (For added laughs, I'm able to fit in the Typhoon, just not the harrier. He didn't have data on the F-35).

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Experto Crede posted:

For a while I've considered either joining the RAF or the Metropolitan Police (London) but suffer from Bipolar and went through a bout of psychosis about two years ago. I am however currently off medication on the advice of my mental health workers.

From what I've gleaned, and this could well be wrong, you can join the armed forces in the UK with bipolar but not the police.

Just wondering if this is right or not, and whether anyone here has experience of serving with a pre-existing mental health condition?

When I was going through the recruitment process there were basically three categories of illness/problems/what-have-you. There's

- Fine, we can deal with you having that, we can live with it
- Um, that illness is cool if it's been gone for a while, but recent is a no-go
- Sorry mate, if you've ever had this, you're out of luck

For me, I had depression at Uni. My recruiter freaked out about this, put me under loads of stress and I freaked. Finally got to the doc and he asked about severity, how I dealt with it and when I last had it.

If you're not dependent on medication you've got a better chance, but it depends on where the doc sticks bi-polar in those categories. Best bet is an AFCO (Armed Forces Careers Office) and ask for a medical appointment. Don't neccessarily trust the recruiters, they're not all malicious, some of them just don't have the info.

Oh yeah, I got in, so it's not impossible.

• Locked thread