Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

What are some ballpark times to make e-7? I know it varies highly by service/mos/rating, but just for kicks.

Army - 11B - 10 years
Navy - BM - 12 years

or whatever the guess is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Are there public data about completing enlistments? I remember hearing once upon a time that the percentage of those people arriving at boot camp completing their 4/5/6 year commitment was startlingly low. Can someone point me to data?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Rrail posted:

Seems very doubtful. The vast majority of people that don't make it to the end wash out in basic training and AIT. Once you are past that point, you have to be a real fuckup to get removed. You could be med-boarded out but at 20ish years old people aren't often getting themselves permanently crippled beyond deployability.

The few things I found on Google scholar point this way. The "startling" number turns out to be about 30%, and as you said the majority appear to be in basic training. There are some other fun little trends: women wash out at twice the rate of men, those with more education tend to wash out less, but those who are older (21 vs 18) tend to wash out more.

Roving Reporter posted:

Transparency is not a DoD Value.

There appear to be public studies of the numbers I'm looking for, but behind paywalls in journals I don't have access to. To the library!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My sister got involved with this guy who had been a "Green Beret and a Navy SEAL." He was also a professor at Stanford, whose research was highly classified.

I talked to her after the first day I met the dude, but for some reason she didn't want to hear it. It took my mom getting all Judge Judy up on his rear end for my sister to finally snap out of it and dump his rear end.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

grover posted:

I'm at my kid's football practice, and the marching band is practicing the Star Spangled Banner... over and over again! Help! What do I do?

Beat up the guys who don't stand. Just watch out for the ones with tasers.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Qqw. <--- I don't even know wtf that was. Freedom from operation goldenflow is a glorious thing

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 9, 2011

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Never miss an opportunity to write yourself a glowing review. If they didn't want a walk-on-water, they wouldn't let you do it.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 6, 2011

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

As a warning, these retirees have stories. Which they will want to share with you. At great length.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

nwin posted:

So apparently now I'm left with getting rid of the boxes through y city recycling once a week...this should only take about two months!

Call a can recycling place. Many take cardboard - they just don't pay for it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Well look at this fancy new military poo poo, with its caring how your shoes fit and its.. choices. Strap them shoes on tight and run yourself right the gently caress off my lawn.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Are we capitalizing" troops" now?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

old dog child posted:

IIRC it's just "Soldier". Anyone capitalizing troops is probably wrong.

/pfc:downs:

iirc, it started with the marines, but nobody wanted to be left out of the fetishizing. Just Capitalize Everything Now.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

FooGoo posted:

Has anyone taken a Space A flight to/from Hawaii before? Would it be a cool way to vacation and save a good chunk of cash? Or so inconvenient/uncomfortable that I'm better off spending the ~$700 for a ticket?

I heard second hand that the Navy unit that flies -130's at Pt Mugu (appears to be VR-55) makes regular flights to Hawaii.

My best experience with space-a was catching a c-21 at Andrews to kaneohe mcb. Just me and the flight crew.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

This is my grandfather on the left and his brother on the right in WWII. Can someone tell me why one is wearing a light shirt with a dark tie and the other is wearing a dark poo poo with a light tie? Also, the different hats?

I don't know anything about what they did except that they were army enlisted. Is one an NCO?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

front wing flexing posted:

FUUCCKKKK shady federal.

Navy federal? What's shady?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

front wing flexing posted:

Google Navy Federal complaints and enjoy your read. They're like that nice preacher that everybody reveres but behind the scenes he's abusive as poo poo and probably a child molester.

Some crazy stories. Can't say I've ever had an issue with them in the 16 *fuckhowdidthathappen* years I've had a navy federal account. I do use usaa for insurance and a local megabank account for branch convenience.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

How much choice did a draftee have for branch/MOS/Rate/ETC? Were they allowed to choose anything?

One of the biggest incentives for enlisting voluntarily was to choose your job. Draftees were asked preference for service but were not guaranteed their preference.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

There was a picture on reddit or somewhere of R. Lee Ermey wearing dress blues and I was wondering about his rack:

Was it common for an E-7 6 to have no individual awards? I guess maybe the drill instructor ribbon counts, but no NAM? Were they rarer back then when it was new?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Christoff posted:

For the last long while (At least 5+ years?) they've had a program called "pre-BUDs" which has raised the attrition number a lot. So instead of getting thrown into BUDs straight from boot camp you go to a special division in boot camp that swims and works out more and then you go across the street to pre-buds where you workout even more for 8 weeks I think it is?

Don't get me wrong you have to be in shape. But it's the mental challenge I assume where people fail.

When I went to boot camp, when dinosaurs roamed Great lakes, there was a buds screener test that took place at the pool in the very early morning. Guys headed to buds would have to pass the test, but would be "failed" over and over again so that they could PT with the seal guys in the morning before returning to the division. Eventually they were passed and off to Coronado they went.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Chemystery posted:

ROTC and Academy guys have more money invested in them and Navy doesn't give them the boot as easily

There was a jg at usna when i was there. At some point in swos, he was diagnosed with some food allergy that prevented him from serving on a ship. The navy returned him to annapolis and he served in a quasi casual role for three years. They just sort of forgot about him. Don't know how long he stayed in purgatory, but he was using his time to get his masters at a nearby school. Could be worse I guess.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Regarding #4, you should definitely go and ask in the mil. history thread about their opinions on tank destroyers. They love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Is there a source to see what/when units won awards? I was looking through the end of "Blind Man's Bluff" where it lists all the crazy number of unit awards given to USS Parche. I was wondering if that stuff is listed somewhere by year. Or more generally, Can I see what ships won say, the Battle "E" in a particular group for the last ten years?

• Locked thread