Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Barracuda Bang! posted:

Is the south where most people are deployed to?

Sorry if this is really basic, civilian lurker here.

As I understand it, the most unstable regions are in the south. Kandahar is now becoming more unstable by the day and is the homeland of the Pashtus, and Helmund is also ethnic Pashtu I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I saw mentioned in the USMC thread that people sell off extra gear from CIF. I looked through the listings and you can get poo poo like SAPIs and Plate Carriers for like 1/5th of what a similar civilian product would be. Is this legit? Are there any restrictions? (Not that I have any need for this stuff)

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah, they are. These days military aircraft are substantially larger and shaped differently from WWII/Korea era aircraft. If you jumped out of the cockpit you'd be well more than liable to hit the leading edge of the wing or get sucked into the engine.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

Another question related to that, where on the internet could you get weather satellite data from a couple of days ago?

Weatherspark.com might have what you're looking for.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

IntangiblePanda posted:

Was that history prof crazy, or have we really progressed that far in sighting/round efficiency? Cause if we have, that's an amazing improvement. I know, of course, it's all hypothetical since F-22's and F-35's haven't ever actually shot anything for real.

New gunsights are leaps and bounds ahead of where they were. In WWII, the most advanced gunsights were holographic sights (with reticles not unlike what you see in Vidja games), except they were the size of a coffee maker. These days, a HUD gunsight will show you where your gun is pointed and will show you expected bullet drop.

They actually have been used in air to air combat! In the mid 90s an F-14 equipped with a 20MM Vulcan cannon blew another F-14 to bits during a training exercise because they had accidentally loaded it with live rounds.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone know what non-Christian/Jewish religions are represented in the chaplain corps? I know there's at least one Hindu, and I've heard rumors of a Wicca chaplain.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Welp, it's finally that time. Anyone know a good place to buy a silver dollar coin for my first salute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Godholio posted:

It was a thing at OTS.

They've recently phased it out at Navy OCS, now you're supposed to give it to your first salute at a real base.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Long time listener, first time caller. I guess I'm just curious why would anyone join in peace time

I've got faith I can get in on this "Era of persistent conflict" thing if I really want to.

• Locked thread