Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Original name guy posted:

I went 2 or 3 times, only was ever shown to coremen, so is it even on record in that case?

The corpsman may or may not have inputted your stuff into AHLTA. If you were on a ship it's usually not the case, they usually just give you stuff and send you on your way. If you went to the actual hospital you have a likely chance that it's in there.

I believe that as long as you got out within the last 180 days you can still get seen as long as it wasn't dishonorable, but I can't recall the exact instruction off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Original name guy posted:

So should i just head the nearest VA health place and ask about it then?

That'd be my best bet, but they don't have access to the same information as a military hospital would. Find the VA Rep and ask them if there's any way you could request your medical record from the nearest hospital if they need proof/if you want to verify it was put into the system. Couldn't hurt.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

MancXVI posted:

Honestly, the fakers that have never been in weird me out less than the active duty who have huge moto boners to compensate for their desk jobs.

This isn't even limited to dudes outside. I went to some combat medicine training in Camp Pendleton and there were some dudes that were in for like 6 months trying to get laid by saying they just got back from combat deployments and poo poo out in town. Why the hell you'd use military experience to pick up disgusting chicks in military towns is beyond me.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

In between me going from C-school to C-school I received BAS, and then when I was on leave in between them they gave me BAH. Then when I got to my duty station I also got BAS for the 7 days I took of leave in between Camp Pendleton and my duty station. It was pretty nice, they took away when I checked in though.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Plus some of the gate guards just look at it and go "wtf is this poo poo?" so unless you're at like a base that knows what they look like you probably won't be able to use them anyway. It's one reason some recruiters don't even bother and just rely on the dudes with IDs from being dependents or some active volunteers to get their guys to on base gyms.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

USAA is amazing and it's easy to get by without a physical location with them. Through online, the app, or UPS. Although they're starting to open some up in dense Military areas I think?

Yeah, they even have a place out in Carlsbad between Camp Pendleton and San Diego.

So I keep hearing that at my EAOS I still have to apply for orders and "attempt" to re-enlist by requesting the paperwork/signing a new contract even though I'm planning on getting out. Is this correct or am I just being fed poo poo and tricked in an attempt to boost up the numbers on retention?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Oh sweet so I can just go ahead and not even have to sign jack poo poo, just do the check-out with my DD214 the last thing to pick up.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Cenen posted:

Are poppers kosher in the Air Force/military? All the ADAPT site says is that they aren't a scheduled drug, but I have a sneaking suspicion someone would yell at you for huffing Jungle Juice "room cleaner" same as you'd get yelled at for being all "slammed some whippets last weekend".

Why huff jungle juice when you can easily just make jenkem for the entire crew?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Wokrider posted:

Going to navy boot in a few months.
I have had fillings and a crown way before I got into DEP, my recruiter said this isn't a problem. Am I going to get burned on this at the navy dental exam?

gently caress no, they'll probably just have you sit down and they'll re-drill it so the dentist can say he helped you by improving dental procedures that were "flawed", then they'll fill in cavities that would likely go away on their own with proper brushing and flossing. About a year in you'll then go to dental for your check-up at your duty station and they'll get you a root canal because the other dentist hosed up.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I don't know if it's the same for you guys, but if you're recommended to get your wisdom teeth pulled by dental then you won't be considered fit for deployment until they get yanked

Usually they set up an appointment as soon as they can and give you a few days of SIQ with some narcos to help you sleep. Luckily had all five of mine pulled before I left for boot. For some of the guys here if they're going on deployment and need them pulled I've seen the Dental dudes schedule the appointment before they leave.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Wokrider posted:

I've got HM on my contract and I ship in two months, I want to go FMF at a-school.
Any advice?

Then you should have had them put FMTB Camp Pendleton in your contract prior to signing it. Not to fear though, they opened a shitload of billets to FMTB so you'll probably get one or two when you are almost through a school. I don't mean A-school, I mean you'll likely get one even if you get shoved into a c-school that will have nothing to do with FMF poo poo. If you don't go to a C-school and you pick FMF orders to anything like MLG or MAW we will judge you. Division is the only thing to go to unless you're a girl because it at least gives you a chance at being a sick HM what we all imagine the guys with their faces lining the hospital walls as Medal of Honor recipients were. Hell a lot of those dudes are pharmacy techs.

Why do you want to go FMF?

EDIT: If you go to Lejeune me and Christoff are judging you.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Wokrider posted:

Do you have access to a gym while in HM A school?
I'm pretty fit now but I need to keep working on it to get to marine corps standards.

Yeah, there's a pretty sweet gym past the Army pods that everyone would go to, there's even a pool if you're feeling motto enough. If you don't leave A/C school swole you're doing something wrong because you have a shitload of free time. One dude got super fit and didn't do a drat thing outside of school apart from studying and becoming a chiseled Greek god and now he's debt free from all the savings. Plus it saves you from making stupid decisions like a lot of idiots do. Marine Corps standards aren't that high. Do pull-ups and run a lot and do more push-ups than 70 and you'll look great among your classmates. The problem is keeping it up after school because you'll probably end up in some shithole like Lemoore where I'll laugh at you at Command Indoc when I give the restraint training.

Remember this though: Throughout your entire naval career, whether it's the 5 years or you extend for more, as long as you don't rape someone, get a meme made out of you, and can tactfully do things like skate or call out bullshit, you'll likely do fine. There's nothing to stress about. I have a friend that went Diver, found out he was anemic, got booted over to HM, went Recon out of A school, rang the bell, and ended up here in Lemoore. Now the kid's going to Rhode Island after this and getting out, still getting Blue Jacket and all that fancy poo poo with evals. He's hosed up, but skates so well he should be in the Olympics. Bless his little heart.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

My dad was a 3 year E-6 and then lost all motivation and remained that way for 10 years. He was Army.

Here I am hitting Year 4 soon and I'm still an E-3, go Navy!

I imagine some branches you wouldn't even want to pick up, I don't simply because the Navy gets progressively gayer the higher you go, at least at a hospital command.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Remember kid wanting to go back into the Marines as a Reservist or whatever, you can still get hosed. Just leaving this here in case you change your mind:

When I went TAD to Miramar, pretty much every reservist I spoke to was getting hosed one way or another. Some had their commands that screwed up their billeting, and they weren't allowed to stay anywhere because they were reservists. Some dudes had to go about sleeping in other people's rooms (which could get everyone involved in trouble). Others would get hosed with simply because they were reservists and the active duty dudes hated their lives. All the games were saved up and played with them. Just remember that as you go to sign your life away yet again, the Green Weenie always finds a way, whether you're full time or a weekend warrior.

I imagine with my luck something will happen nearing the end of my IRR and I'll get called back in during the last months of it. Or maybe a week outside of my EAOS they cancel it. 535 days left :toot:

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Recently been getting a lot of mixed information from people about the whole "reserves after the military" bit of the contract.

Some say that if you don't do the 8 years you're obligated to muster with a NOSC or something wherever you move to.

Others say that you pretty much fall off the face of the Earth and nothing really happens except you can get a phone call someday within the 8 years to get you back into service.

Plus there's the whole "WELL WHAT IF YOUR PLAN DOESN'T PAN OUT THE NAVY WON'T TAKE YOU BACK IN!!!" which I'm not too worried about.

Edit: Considering that the people I work with are either Officers that are getting massive paychecks from their medical degrees when they get out, HM2s and HM1s that stayed in because they're freaked out about the outside world of civilians, and HM3s/HNs that are out because of high-year tenure/contracts ran out, I don't quite trust many of them to do much beyond putting a tourniquet on someone.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 26, 2014

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

Okay, here is the version that even an HM can comprehend.

Enlisted
--------
If you have a served less than 8 years active duty and are transitioning...
You owe the government either IRR time (improbable recall in today's environment) or SELRES time (drill with a unit at a NOSC/whatever other services call reserve centers)

If you have more than 8 years active duty and leave...
Congrats telling them to gently caress off because you own the government no time.

My plug for going Navy SELRES instead of IRR, if you were active you have a leg up on the people who are traditional reservists and most (except the HMs we have apparently) have a warfare device and can usually tell people to gently caress off and leave them alone. You can get cheap and reasonable coverage through TRICARE Reserve Select and you keep you Life Insurance too. If you join right after coming off active or within 6? months, you get a 2 year deferment from being involuntarily mobilized. Until last year when I made Chief, the extra drill money, cheap insurance, and easy weekends, were a great way to supplement Post-9/11 BAH money.

My 2 cents from following the Navy thread is, if you are getting out and going to school (which you should be), is try to get a bonus and maybe do a couple years in the reserve and see how you like it. For a disgruntled HM, you may enjoy the pace of the reserves more. Just remember to keep asking and referencing GIP as it seems most of y'all have terrible CoC who just want to gently caress Sailors instead of helping them. I will never understand that sentiment...

Oh ok, thanks Chief.

I believe Ill end up just going IRR because I want nothing to do with anything in the Navy, especially seeing how some of these dudes are just going to the reserves. Hell, they gently caress people on evals too because "you all do the same day to day stuff, you all have the same expertise" when you have a lot of people that are training and definitely understand procedures better/help fix gently caress ups more than the LPOs do.

I guess my view of "if youre an E-3 and youre doing an E-5s job, they shouldnt be deleting your work off of your brag sheet/eval but instead giving you more points so you rake their spot" is pure madness in today's age of people being afraid of made up demons.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Spiderjelly posted:

Quick question for those who would know: I served in the peacetime Marine Corps Reserve and was never activated. I know I'm not a veteran, as I never got a dd214, but is there a word for what I am now that I'm out?

If I remember correctly, you're technically a veteran with 100 days of service or some poo poo, and all the Marine Corps Reservists I know get their DD214s when they end the drill (or at least they're supposed to).

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

This is incorrect. You do not recieve a DD-214 at the end of every drill or at the end of AT. You receive a DD-214 at the end of active duty service.

Weird, I wonder why they give the reservists out here theirs at the end of every drill.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Godholio posted:

I want to open an etsy/cafepress store of lovely tactical skull shirts

Attach it to a store with "tactical vape" stuff and you're in the money for selling tacticlol dip or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

EVEN IF YOUR rear end IS RETARDED (AND THEREFORE IN A UNIFORM, NOT A SUIT AND TIE WORKING FOR UNCLE SAM WITH MATCHING CONTRIBUTIONS) YOU SHOULD NEVER PUT ANY MONEY INTO ONE OF THE TSP PONZI FUNDS. EVEN WITH MATCHING CONTRIBUTIONS TSP PONZI FUNDS ARE LESS VIABLE RETIREMENT SCHEMES THAN A BUG OUT BAG AND A FLESHLIGHT. NOT A TYPO.

Dude if you really are Roth TSP'ing it up can I get you to talk to uncle Dov? He's a fiduciary, and a stand up guy- I bet he can find you something better than a 20/20/40/20 TSP fund "diversifying" (:lol:) plan.

The Chief that spoke to us at Boot camp the moment we were being told about the TSP straight up said "You should all put 99% of your income into it, even if you get out, it'll be waiting for you as thousands when you get old enough to touch it!"

Going to look into all these investment options that have nothing to do with the Navy though. Apparently my boss has like 5 different certificates with 2 banks and he just keeps plowing whatever money he makes on them into new ones. Getting paid stupid amounts of BAH and that sweet overseas cash pretty much has him set.

• Locked thread