Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

grover posted:

No, sorry, it's still a lovely reason.

As is "Oh gently caress, my degree turned out to be worthless and now they want me to start repaying the loans!"

It's a job which, like most other jobs, comes with its associated set of risks and benefits, downsides and upsides. As long as you're going into it cognizant of all of that (and if you posted or lurked here you most likely are), I don't see a problem with "I can't find a job and the economy is lovely, I'll join up for a tour and see where I am then."

I'm pretty curious to know (this is my quick question) why it is that you think this, grover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
E: removed to prevent further derail. Also grover I disagree with you.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Aliquid posted:

Does separation from the military cut off my health insurance immediately? I'm on my way out and haven't had much guidance from my unit.

When I separated from the Army I retained coverage for myself and my dependent for six months; we didn't need it for me, but she wound up going to see a shrink several times on it and the emergency room once. While you're outprocessing you might want to swing by the Tricare office and talk to someone about it for the specifics though.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Generally speaking if you're going to pop hot you should tell your recruiter. The ones at my station always asked you if there 'might be' 'some reason' why you wouldn't want to take the drug test anytime soon, quite a few kids fell into the 'er, yeah...probably wait a couple weeks' category.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

just PT every morning then peace out

Bahahahahaha. No.

Mileage varies depending on your unit but when I was in we would show up 30-45 minutes prior to PT, wait, do PT, go to breakfast, come back and either read field manuals to each other or endlessly repeat notional battle drill lanes until lunch, then leave for lunch, come back, and then talk about going to the gym to lift weights but instead sit until about five or six in the PM doing more literal nothing until the officers finally finished whatever they were doing.

When you think "What could they possibly be doing all day? I can't think of anything." it's because there's not anything. At all.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The process of actually enlisting is going to be longer than you seem to think (depending on branch, job). So you've got time to go running or whatever; even if it's only a week or two, there's time to improve your physical performance.

I highly recommend this, especially if you're joining something other than the Air Force (don't do that, join the Air Force). If you're unemployed anyway, you've probably got the time, right?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Yes, thank you, I probably should have added the standard "do your homework, don't listen to the recruiter, pick something that'll help you later in life, don't rush into this decision because of whatever reason, etc" line.

Though being unemployed and homeless is a little bit more serious than the standard "I want to better myself and/or kill people as soon as possible" thing.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Rrail posted:

You are fine to do that, yes. And despite the common phrase, they don't always catch mistakes. They paid me family sep for like 2 years, and then I got out.

I knew a guy who had something similar; he was getting overpaid by some small, random amount for the last six months in. Then a year later, apparently it was caught and he was billed against his tax return for it.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Hell Diver posted:

You could always just gently caress up at the board. You know, stutter terribly, wet yourself, that kind of stuff.

Get flustered, fall back on the escalation of force order everyone has to recite before leaving the wire, and tell the battalion SGM that firing a warning shot is appropriate when dealing with children heckling your soldiers while out on patrol. (true story)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
protip: wear loving gloves if it's cold.

If it's cold and you have to use your fingers just cut the fingertips off of them.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Regicide posted:

PFC sense of humor I'm gonna write a paper about it

This is probably the single most retarded statement I've ever read on these forums.

loving Ironic Essay Turn-In? Are you serious?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Regicide posted:

will all probably attack me still?

This is because (possibly through no fault of your own), every time you post in GiP you come off as either a whiny d-bag, or a whiny d-bag who is bravely putting on a transparent too-cool-for-school act.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

If one were to write to congress and be a big whiny baby, should they just write their elected senator of their home of record? That would be Dick Lugar for uh me. Should I write the House too? i have no idea of the protocol on this.

Yes. The time that I wound up doing this I wrote both the Senator and the Rep from my home-of-record district. The Senator's office wound up being the one which actually got poo poo done; the Rep just returned boilerplate which referred to my wife as 'Mr.'

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

grover posted:

I thought expunged charges effectively didn't exist?

I'm not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure that only a Presidential or Gubernatorial Pardon can completely remove something from your criminal record, to the point where it can't be detected by the government background check a recruiter has done.

I do know that a juvenile criminal charge from when I was twelve, which was either sealed or expunged, showed up on my background check. I was twenty at the time and had completely forgotten about the entire episode (along with most of middle school, gently caress middle school).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I stay away from unit stickers or anything like that. I just have the "IRQ I Served" and "Combat Infantry" stickers on the back.

• Locked thread