Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Obama Africanus posted:

Don't loving huff poo poo you Godamn goony gently caress. If your so desperate to get high that you wanna slam down a hit of organic solvents, go get help.

Poppers are p. much just for butt sex, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A White Guy posted:

Poppers are nitrous oxide chargers. He's huffing laughing gas. No, they won't show up on a piss test. Yes, huffing them is not illegal.

Your CO has probably never heard of it and will blow a fuse if he catches you doing it.

Poppers are amyl nitrite not whip-its.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

gleep gloop posted:

I see a lot of dudes like that. He was in, did something mundane or just missed any action so he makes up stories to draw attention. Like half the vets in college on the GI Bill do that. According to them like 95% of everyone in the military has shot someone, despite being an intel analyst or radio repairman. I just politely smile, listen and laugh to myself when people do that, but eventually he'll tell his tale to someone who really got into some poo poo and will get bitched out.

Yup. One of my buddies in my Master's program was Fallujah vet infantry Marine and he didn't say much about it. He did love getting drunk and cockblocking fake military and pogues trying to tell war stories like this "airborne" guy we're talking about.
"Every pogue says they're infantry and every infantry says they're special forces"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Because anyone dumb enough to sign up needs to be watched by someone who wasn't.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

I thought in the Navy there was a time period where if you wanted to re-enlist or go reserves you'd have lost your rank/rating

Dunno, but my reserve unit's got a couple enlisted guys with 10 year gaps in service who came back at their old rates.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Navy only has reserves because the other branches do. You can't use Reserve sailors for poo poo other than shipyard firewatches and gateguards.

And don't give me that 'mobilize old ships from the boneyard and crew them with old reservists' poo poo, real life isn't a transforming robot movie

I can't tell if this is a serious post.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

Yeah those 80 year old dudes were in the reserves

When poo poo was still going on in Iraq/Afghanistan Navy reservist did a ton of deployments and also IAs for the Army. Granted usually poo poo not related to their job.

Although I didn't see any I'm sure when a ship deploys there's a handful of reservist hot filling billets?

At any rate. Does anyone have an actual answer to the question?

Like I said, we just had an ISC retire with 20something years of service who enlisted in the Ford administration and I've got an IS1 who just joined the reserves with at least a 10 year gap since he was active, all he had to do was get his clearance back. As far as I can tell you get to keep your rate after any amount of time.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

zombie303 posted:

But how did they drive their ships in the mountains :shrug:

They're called "amphibs" you dummy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

All USMC units should be reserve units

Activate only when an amphibious assault is necessary.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cenen posted:

Since I didn't join the Army I doubt I'll ever wear an ACU patrol cap. Anyone have guidance for the MULTICAM BASEBALL CAP?

Wear it with an Affliction t-shirt.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Affi posted:

How did you prepare for going to a really hot country? Any acclimatization tips? I don't function all that well in heat and i'd like to prepare as much as possible at home.

Start drinking water now. Your body has to get used to higher water intake before you need it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Laranzu posted:

Dude I was in school with was formally in a regional navy band. Chill dude, burned out on the tuba or whatever and decided to go into computer networks. Good at gay chicken and dirty jokes.

I always wondered how they auditioned tuba players. "Okay, your 'bum-bum bum-bum bum-bum' wasn't quite up to par"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TsarAleksi posted:

For a more accurate equivalency, the ranks run parallel to normal O ranks, but generally are treated with more respect and as technical experts. Yes technically all CWOs are junior to all commissioned officers but I've never seen someone pull rank like you imply. A CWO can be a really vital asset for a command beacuse they are outside the normal structure and much more in a position to call someone (be it a JO, senior officer, or a chief) on stupid ideas and decisions.

Also, for the Army/AF folks -- don't call a Navy CWO "chief."

I've never seen a WO1 or a CWO5. The warrants I have seen got treated about the same as O3-O4.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

What rank do you have to be to not wear white undershirts. CWO5? 0-6?

I think there's a rate issue, too. Like, a BMCS can lose the undershirt but an ISCS sure shouldn't.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Bring a gun your first day in the unit and shoot up the place. This will establish your dominance over the enlisted peasant scum.

*only applicable to medical billets

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Benny the Snake posted:

Wait so paratrooper's don't these days? If not, I'm gonna ask the military history thread then. I'm actually taking a stab at the military sci-fi genre so I'm wondering if I could base hard drops on paratrooper ones.

There have been combat drops more recently than the Marines have done opposed amphibious landings, but both are pretty irrelevant in today's battlefield.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

^^^gently caress youuuuuuuuu

Let's take a look at combat drop records:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/airborne-jumps.htm

The last static-line mass combat drop was during the invasion of Iraq, and it wasn't really into enemy held territory. Basically a way for some guys to get a combat star on their jump wings. It's just not really necessary in wars like this where we can move troops through friendly nations or ground we already hold. The only exception would be free fall operations done by special operations types, but that's not really comparable to a mass static line drop.

It really says something about the Pentagon that during an actual real life war, they plan photo op bullshit like this so a unit can feel good about itself.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ron Jeremy posted:

Is there a source to see what/when units won awards? I was looking through the end of "Blind Man's Bluff" where it lists all the crazy number of unit awards given to USS Parche. I was wondering if that stuff is listed somewhere by year. Or more generally, Can I see what ships won say, the Battle "E" in a particular group for the last ten years?

You can check https://http://awards.navy.mil but there are definitely omissions.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nuclear War posted:

You're not an idiot, I am though for leaving out basic info from my post. See, thing is I'm moving from active duty to reserves after several years . My fiancè is American and I just got my VISA, Since my military certifications (which should equal an american EMT-paramedic easily, I've been a combat medic in Afghanistan and trained other medics for years after) don't count for squat in civilian life in Norway, I've applied and got into a paramedic program, mostly because they recognized my experience as equalling a EMT B degree, in the Seattle area. When I've done the degree, I'll apply for a spousal green card probably unless something unforeseen happens. Need to be on a student visa or the Norwegian government won't cover my education costs.

So I'll technically still be serving (norwegian) military while I'm over there, and so I just wondered if it'd be possible to stop by . We've had American ex military come in and run classes on our bases often enough, although usually ex SOF or whatever who had special skills.

If you have contacts with Guard or Reserve in the area and have certifications that you know will apply, it wouldn't be a bad idea. "Hey Ronny, I'm in the area for a while, you think some drill weekend they'd like me to do some training?" "Yeah, we have gently caress all to do most weekends, I'll talk to the CO."

Just cold-calling won't get you anywhere.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Dead Reckoning posted:

Also you can be absolutely certain that the contractor employing said Indians/Pakistanis/Nepalis is cheerfully exploiting the poo poo out of them thanks to lax oversight and non-existant local laws.

Well, "exploiting" is a relative term. They're probably better off than they would be as indentured laborers in the Gulf states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Booblord Zagats posted:

Long time listener, first time caller. I guess I'm just curious why would anyone join in peace time

I signed up for ROTC pre-9/11 on the theory that I'd spend 4 years getting paid to cruise around the world drinking in every country.

These days? No idea.

• Locked thread